Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow of the colossus beats of WoW, I approve.

They lost me at the 10-30 range. Also a couple of other games in different places. Fairly solid list though.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Deleted
    Typical IGN Nintendo/Mario bias.

I'll never understand the Mario praise. I mean sure the games are fun but that's it. I guess those platforming games never really appealed to me. Although I am glad to see Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 so high up on the list.

Of course nobody's ever going to agree with such a list, but the fact that Suikoden 2 is on it makes me pretty happy to see.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Something something WHY IS THIS GAME LISTED THIS LOW/HIGH!!!! rabble rabble rabble WHY ISN'T THIS GAME ON THE LIST! harumph harumph HOW COULD THIS GAME MAKE THE LIST! etc.

I've never given these types of list much stock, especially considering they're usually compiled by hip 20somethings who have a limited experience with games.
    Nothing more to add.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a bad list. We expect IGN to make a list based on the importance of the game for its time and what it added to the industry and this top somewhat reflects that. The order is obviously not very relevant for the most part.

The fact that Zelda Majora's Mask, Donkey Kond Country 2 or even Link's Awakening are not on this list is not understandable though. Maybe it was to reduce the number of games that are too similar ? Zelda Majora is like an expansion to Ocarina of Time, things like that.

Feels a bit thrown together just a bunch of great games into a list. I always wonder how they make lists like this, in some you can see clearly the factors and criteria in this it just seemed like they knew what would get a solid reception

Deleted
    I don't get the impression it's IGN top 100, more that it's some random dude at IGN and top 100 for that person even though it's claimed at the end he speaks for all of them. But it's ok, like random top 100 everywhere.
    I like it that mike tyson punch out made it on the list And sure, the old marois and zeldas deserves the higher spots. I don't know what version of zelda it was that you needed silver arrow in order to kill gamon, it was a really epic game in it's time. And mario games always delivered. Mega man as well ofc. Mike tyson punch out, it was really fun, it was tricky being up against mike tyson, he hit really hard!

I don't know if I would put League of legends or Dota2 so far down on the list. I never played league of legends but it's a huge game... it can't be considered bad. Also dota2. I also think first dota should probably have been there even though I never played it. Same as the old warcraft games that people seem to have lots of memories of, I didn't see any of those games which is strange. Wow being the only mmo on the list as well seems a bit wierd. Perhaps the dude making the list haven't played much mmos so he simply doesn't know.

SMB3 is awful. ANY other Mario game I could understand, but SMB3? Awful orange tinted graphics (even the original looked better), reductive levels, bland, and overall just boring. Super Mario World will always be infinitely better. I will give IGN a golf clap for finally giving FFVI the praise it deserves. It is superior to FFVII in every way, and 6 only gets overlooked because 7 came out in 3D for the PS1.

Deleted
    I would've had some games from Atari, Amiga 500 and Commodore 64. I would've also had Rogue there as well; it was basically a starting off point to an entire genre, and it could be said that that genre created Diablo. Then again, the list had Diablo 2, and no Diablo, which would suggest that it's not really about important games more than it is about the favorite games of the person or people who made that article.

I disagree profoundly with that entire list. I really don't think Mario is even top 50 at this point. Nintendo in general is the least innovative producer in the world. I'm so tired of the same stuff they made 20 years ago still being made today. It's BORING.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    IGN's top100 games, you'll never believe who's number 1!

just click one-hundred times and load two thousand ads on the way

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    SMB3 is awful. ANY other Mario game I could understand, but SMB3? Awful orange tinted graphics (even the original looked better), reductive levels, bland, and overall just boring. Super Mario World will always be infinitely better. I will give IGN a golf clap for finally giving FFVI the praise it deserves. It is superior to FFVII in every way, and 6 only gets overlooked because 7 came out in 3D for the PS1.
    I don't know if I would call it aweful =) However when I'm personally thinking back to my child year console playing I wouldn't think of that one. I would probably have thought about super mario bros 2 and perhaps super mario yoshis island. Nah, now that I think about it... super mario 2 is probably the best old one. I don't know if later mario games let you play as luigi, toad and princess as well but that really made the game fun, and also the maps like digging through sand. It has to be the best old mario one =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    just click one-hundred times and load two thousand ads on the way
    Or, use AdBlock, Disconnect, Ghostery, and a couple other addons to stop every single kind of ad and tracker from ever working, as well as have some protections from Chrome settings on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Ok maybe 10-20 just me going on a rant then but you can't deny the impact it had at the time. (Hell it's one of the first 6 games to make it into the Video Game Hall of Fame.) As for FF7 it should easily be higher than tactics or 6.
    See, I believe FF6 firmly deserves to be above FF7. I played through FF6 countless times. I honestly can't even remember how many times I have. How many times did I play through FF7? Couldn't even get through 2. I just didn't like it. Yes, it was revolutionary at the time. That's mainly what the hype around it is....graphics hype.

I was honestly surprised Chrono Trigger didn't make it into the Top 10. That is a game that has almost endless replayability to get all the endings.

There are a few things I disagree with in the Top 20 (mainly GTA5 and Sid Meier's Pirates) but other than that it seems like a solid list. I absolutely do agree with Mass Effect being in front of Mass Effect 2 though.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Deleted
    Its all subjective - I would have made a better list...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    See, I believe FF6 firmly deserves to be above FF7. I played through FF6 countless times. I honestly can't even remember how many times I have. How many times did I play through FF7? Couldn't even get through 2. I just didn't like it. Yes, it was revolutionary at the time. That's mainly what the hype around it is....graphics hype.

I was honestly surprised Chrono Trigger didn't make it into the Top 10. That is a game that has almost endless replayability to get all the endings.

There are a few things I disagree with in the Top 20 (mainly GTA5 and Sid Meier's Pirates) but other than that it seems like a solid list. I absolutely do agree with Mass Effect being in front of Mass Effect 2 though.
    I mean GTA is one of the games that pioneered open world gaming and GTA 5 is the best one yet. I'd be upset if it didn't make the Top 20. Plus, with GTA Online? Game has nearly endless replayability.

10+ Year Old Account
    A top hundred list that doesn't include Tomb Raider is obviously deeply flawed! Personally to me Nintendo has always been massively overrated as well, so I am not really finding my own choices reflected here.

Sid Meier's Pirates was originally a pioneer in dynamic world development, which functioned quite independently of player action, and it's true gameplay freedom. For that reason alone it still surpasses many many games made today and it deserves to be on this list, at least in the top half. I also feel #12 is a bit too favourable - it's simply not well enough known now to merit that.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2015-10-17 at 12:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Half Life 2 and Super Marios so high.. or rather low on the list o.O

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!