10+ Year Old Account

Home Security System Advice

My parents recently had a break-in at their house, and would like my help setting up a home surveillance system. They already have ADT alarms on most of their doors (The break in was the one door that wasn't rigged) however they want video evidence for situations like this.

Does anyone have any experience with home security/camera systems? I'd like to find a system that supports night surveillance, wifi, hard drive backup, and IP/Internet management. I've used a few before, however I haven't done much research or gotten many reviews on such.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Just do it the American way, guns. Lots and lots of guns. And if it happens again, just throw more guns at it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I don't know the brand but a person I know has a camera system he picked up at Sams club or Costco, it has 4 cameras that can be accessed via the web or app. I believe the web/app viewing is free and if you want cloud backup you pay monthly for it.

Check with your cable provider, they often have some pretty legit home monitoring systems with alarm, text alerts, as well as integrated smart home functions for not much more per month than ADT.

10+ Year Old Account
    ADT, Comcast, etc are just trying to make money, not provide security. I would go with something like SimpliSafe were I to install security.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Don't get xfinity...its a disaster. They just had a HUGE national outage this week affecting every single home security customer. There are better cheaper options. And the cameras do not record 24 hours, you have to set rules in order to get them to record. By default the cameras only take 5 pictures if an alarm goes off. If you want to record video, you need another feature called enhanced video monitoring. Even then it can only record video for rules you set up, and even then only a total of 150 minutes per 24 hour period. There are far better options for alot less money. I used to troubleshoot xfinity home security systems. If you do decide to get it, get the home warranty with it.

Deleted
    OP,

Here is what I would recommend:

Day/Night Zero Lux IP Camera with PIR = how many units you need
    Each should have a mains and a 12v backup battery connected to the back up battery input
    You will need static IP for each cameras = your ISP will sell one or block of 8
    You will need to port forward on your router = www.portforwarding.com

Standalone DVRs with multichannel Remote access are expensive, the second best option is to use a cloud provider like http://www.ivideon.com = it woks with any camera and prices start from FREE.

Consider external flood lights with PIR, dead blots on your main doors and engage with the police to set up a neighbourhood watch program.

Source: I do this for a living.