Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You're taking the entirely wrong message out of that video...
    Enlighten me instead of not saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Listen to what Gordon is saying about the steak...

Yeah, I know that video.
    The customer should have said something instead of making a photo and bothering Gordon Ramsay with this garbage. Bad plates leave the restaurant sometimes, it happens, nobody is perfect at all times. If it happens, you as the customer are entitled to open your mouth, get a new steak free of charge and at the temperature you want it.

Not saying a word about this means the customer is okay with how the steak came out and did not care to make an effort to inform the chef of the mistake.
    Steaks make me rage a little on the inside. People have no idea how to order a steak half the time. Steak looks a little overdone, but it still looks juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is no reason to be afraid of asking your server about items on the menu. If it bothers you to do so simply read up, educate yourself.
    - - - Updated - - -
    There is no such thing...
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+well+done+steak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Steaks make me rage a little on the inside. People have no idea how to order a steak half the time. Steak looks a little overdone, but it still looks juicy.
    Did he even try it? From what the video shows, he sits there and just points at it instead of asking the chef.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+well+done+steak

- - - Updated - - -

Did he even try it? From what the video shows, he sits there and just points at it instead of asking the chef.
    Who knows? My reaction would have been the same as Gordons, except less eloquent.

Who knows? My reaction would have been the same as Gordons, except less eloquent.
    Yeah that interview was pretty docile for Gordon. He didn't throw anything.

Well yeah, Well done is it's own thing and I do not eat it that way, though a good chef still can make the outside crispy and the inside juicy. My point rests more on that OP should have spoken up.

There is no shame in asking. This is also the duty of the restaurant you visit. If you are not well versed with what sort of steak you would like, you can ask for advice.

Yeah.... the only thing I order "well-done" is fries. I kind of like crunchy almost burnt fries. /shrug.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Gordon is saying is 1) If you have a bad experience at any of his restaurants, tell them and they'll do something about it. 2) He is also saying that you should not order steak well done. Ordering it well done makes it pretty much impossible to tell the quality of the beef, and you're also ruining the taste of the meat etc.

Well yeah, Well done is it's own thing and I do not eat it that way, though a good chef still can make the outside crispy and the inside juicy. My point rests more on that OP should have spoken up.
    It's not hard with the right equipment. However, in the middle of a rush when that's one steak out of however many, and the equipment is being used for 20 other things... nope.

The top five results explain the folly of eating a well done steak. This doesn't support your fraudulent claim.

I have a degree in culinary arts from Cordon Bleu of Orlando, Florida. I have worked in a few restaurants, including being PDR for the Gibson Group.

There is no such as what you are claiming. The process of cooking a steak well done eliminates the profile of most cuts of beef to be eaten as steak. Only Filet Mignon is cooked standard to ~150 degrees and is served with sauces for two purposes: flavor (it's a lean cut) and moistness. It is also why cheaper cuts of filet are also wrapped in bacon some times.

I do not know of any respected institution where by well done steaks are said to be "juicy".

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Teaches me to not look up pictures or ask questions. Anyone else make any mistakes like that?
    Ok first off you should have known something was up when it's the cheapest "steak" they have. Beef is expensive when eating out and if it's cheap that is usually an indicator it's not going to taste the best. Secondly, yeah chopped steak is usually hamburger made from the leftover meat. They usually put a gravy and some sautéed mushrooms,onions, and sometimes peppers to make it not taste like shit which is another give away. If it has something added to it chances are they do so for a reason. As far as descriptions go it's a steakhouse most people know what a 9 oz sirloin is. Since it was your first time you should have asked either your friends what they recommend or ask the waitress what she would recommend. Nothing wrong with asking when you aren't familiar with a type of food.

I do not know of any respected institution where by well done steaks are said to be "juicy".
    It can be done, but the line cook is working with the station he has, not the station he wants.

The top five results explain the folly of eating a well done steak. This doesn't support your fraudulent claim.

I have a degree in culinary arts from Cordon Bleu of Orlando, Florida. I have worked in a few restaurants, including being PDR for the Gibson Group.

There is no such as what you are claiming. The process of cooking a steak well done eliminates the profile of most cuts of beef to be eaten as steak. Only Filet Mignon is cooked standard to ~150 degrees and is served with sauces for two purposes: flavor (it's a lean cut) and moistness. It is also why cheaper cuts of filet are also wrapped in bacon some times.

My point is that you can cook a well done steak to a degree where it is still tolerable. You said that there is no such thing as a well done steak.

Originally Posted by Lillyth:
    A good chef knows how to cook a well done steak.
    There is no such thing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It can be done, but the line cook is working with the station he has, not the station he wants.
    just curious how hard is it for cooks to cook pan fried calamari?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

My point is that you can cook a well done steak to a degree where it is still tolerable. You said that there is no such thing as a well done steak.

Originally Posted by Lillyth:
    A good chef knows how to cook a well done steak.
    Just to add on... I have all kinds of unorthodox techniques that I can't actually use in a restaurant because of equipment limitations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    just curious how hard is it for cooks to cook pan fried calamari?
    If they're set up, no different from anything else coming from saute station.

I would've covered the chopped steak in A-1 sauce. Live and learn, OP.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    How do you cook a steak 145-150 degrees, rest the steak and have it remain "juicy"? Explain the process to me.

I know of no culinary institution that considers 145 degrees acceptable. Well done can be up to 160 degrees, btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure you can cook a steak that is well done that's not completely dry, but it will still not be "juicy", at least not what I would consider juicy. There is a reason why chefs cook steaks rare to medium rare when they want to make the "perfect" steak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I would've covered the chopped steak in A-1 sauce. Live and learn, OP.

a1 steak sauce just tastes like really salty saucier ketchup to me. yuck.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.