Dual Boot windows 10 and 8.1

So, I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 a few months ago, and sadly need to get another copy of 8.1 going for my oculus

However i'm having some serious issues ive been trying to get around for the last few hours.

My main drive (c) (gpt) has windows 10.

My new drive i've hooked up (e) (gpt) is what im trying to get windows 8.1 on

Ive used Windows MediaCreationTool to create both a bootable 8.1 USB, as well as a ISO to use with Rufus.

regardless of the install method, im greeted with one of two errors when trying to access windows 8.1

"The header checksum for this file doesnt match the computed checksum (winload.efi)

or "Required file is missing or contains erors" (winload.efi)

I've spent a good few hours googling and trying all results I could think.

I feel like the issue would be from the media creation tool by microsoft, but im unsure how else to get a copy of windows 8.1 as I no longer have a copy (just my CD key which I saved, sadly the old download expired, would have been smart to keep that part)

Have you tried re-downloading the files through Media Creation Tool? You may have an error in the download itself.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Have you tried re-downloading the files through Media Crea
    tion Tool? You may have an error in the download itself.
    Oh yeah, also tried it with both the iSo and the usb creation ( both of which download fresh)

Doing more research it looks like it's an issue when you dual boot Windows where the newer version is installed before the older version... So I'm looking into ways to work around that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molster View Post
    Oh yeah, also tried it with both the iSo and the usb creation ( both of which download fresh)

Doing more research it looks like it's an issue when you dual boot Windows where the newer version is installed before the older version... So I'm looking into ways to work around that
    Well, I had them both some months ago when W10 was still in technical preview stage. But yes, I installed it with 8.1 already there.

Even then, I don't see how it can change anything, it doesn't make sense for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting the win10 drive?
    Yeah, try this.

It'll be annoying but yeah, if you disconnect W10 drive and keep that separate from a clean 8.1 install on your other drive, they can exist independently and you switch between them by asking BIOS to pick which device you boot into every time you turn the computer on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It'll be annoying but yeah, if you disconnect W10 drive and keep that separate from a clean 8.1 install on your other drive, they can exist independently and you switch between them by asking BIOS to pick which device you boot into every time you turn the computer on.
    Windows 8.1/10 boot manager will let him choose between the two. Regardless of which one is set to boot first.

Edit: Example.

Deleted
    Both of these errors indicate that the file is corrupt/written incorrectly. The first thing that I would do before trying MacGyver solutions is to use another USB stick as it's very likely that the USB stick is the one that has gone to shit and not the software or file.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Windows 8.1/10 boot manager will let him choose between the two. Regardless of which one is set to boot first.

Edit: Example.
    Oh that's cool I didn't know. I only dual boot linux and Windows, and usually Windows overwrote the linux and made it inaccessible so I never knew.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh that's cool I didn't know. I only dual boot linux and Windows, and usually Windows overwrote the linux and made it inaccessible so I never knew.
    Technically speaking it should work just fine.