Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

UN to call on governments around the world to decriminalise all drugs

UN to call on governments around the world to decriminalise all drugs, says Richard Branson
    (altered to fit)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6699851.html

The UN may be about to call on the governments of all countries to end the "war on drugs" and decriminilise the use and possession of all illegal substances.

In an extraordinary post on his Virgin website, Richard Branson said he had been showed a report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) which dramatically changed the organisation's stance on drug control.

He said the "as-yet unreleased statement" had been sent to some of the world's media under embargo, but the businessman has gone public with it early for fear the UN will "bow to pressure by not going ahead with this important move".

The UN was preparing to declare "unequivocally that criminalisation is harmful unnecessary and disproportionate", Branson wrote. A document changing the UN stance on drug control was supposed to be released at a conference in Malaysia on Sunday, he said, but that has now been delayed.

"As I'm writing this I am hearing that at least one government is putting an inordinate amount of pressure on the UNODC," he said. "Let us hope the UNODC, a global organisation that is part of the UN and supposed to do what is right for the people of the world, does not do a remarkable volte-face at the last possible moment and bow to pressure by not going ahead with this important move. The war on drugs has done too much damage to too many people already."

Such a weird thing for the UN to take on. I wonder why they pick this issue now? Do they mean all drugs including heroin?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Such a weird thing for the UN to take on. I wonder why they pick this issue now? Do they mean all drugs including heroin?
    I would think so yes.

It is about damned time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    About time, forcing the drug trade underground creates a breeding ground for gangs to fund themselves in.

Deleted
    Well I can agree with that, it's a shame that they're doing it for entirely questionable reasons though.

The UN is not a bastion of freedom by any stretch of the imagination.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    About time, forcing the drug trade underground creates a breeding ground for gangs to fund themselves in.
    so now lets make all those gangs official corporations instead , problem solved ye ?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    UN to call on governments around the world to decriminalise all drugs, says Richard Branson
    (altered to fit)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6699851.html
    "All" illegal substances sounds like a bad idea. Processed drugs and drugs you can overdose / die from should still be illegal in my opinion. For "drugs" like marijuana (even though I hate the smell, taste, and feeling), that shit should be taxed and sold with the same rules and regulations as alcohol (no smoking and driving, etc).

All drugs? I don't think so.

Marijuana however? Sure. The war on it failed miserably. You wan't to do something versus drug dealers? Legalize the relatively harmless drug that creates the majority of their profit.

There are some bullshit documentaries on Marijuana, but there are some good ones too. If you watch and pay attention to it, there is just no way you can continue to support keeping it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtin View Post
    so now lets make all those gangs official corporations instead , problem solved ye ?
    At least it would be regulated and people would be able to seek help without fear of going to prison ect.

Can't say I agree with legalizing meth or crack cocaine. Although if selling of it remained illegal, I guess a point could be made about not clogging prisons with the less problematic part of the equation. Though there's always fines for that and US penal system is too trigger happy about prison.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2015-10-19 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    How do you legalize the relationship between a dealer of addictive substances and his junkie customers?
    Just like you did it with booze shops?

I don't think hard and dangerous drugs should be legalized at all, however.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    At least it would be regulated and people would be able to seek help without fear of going to prison ect.
    all it wuld give - is that drug corporations will have official right to lobby their interests leggaly , which is all they want .

Quote Originally Posted by Xtin View Post
    all it wuld give - is that drug corporations will have official right to lobby their interests leggaly , which is all they want .
    That's already happening. Prescription drugs are one hell of a drug and not hard to get. You probably can get some heavy pain killers easier than finding a drug dealer

All the illegal drugs that would become "legal" with this needs to be regulated in such a way that innocent people don't get caught up in it. Like second hand smoke. I DO NOT CARE WHAT STUPID PRIDE YOU HAVE ABOUT SMOKING! IT IS NOT FAIR TO BREATH IN YOUR DEATH.
    Imagine the streets smelling of all sorts of nonsensical drugs, regulation is required.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually think the UN has good ideas, but unbanning "all" substances is a poor idea. Some drugs, like heroin and crack, destroy the lives of whoever takes them. Selling or giving them to people should be illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    "All" illegal substances sounds like a bad idea. Processed drugs and drugs you can overdose / die from should still be illegal in my opinion. For "drugs" like marijuana (even though I hate the smell, taste, and feeling), that shit should be taxed and sold with the same rules and regulations as alcohol (no smoking and driving, etc).
    I agree with you whole heartedly. I'm in Oregon...now home of the legal marijuana...and it's probably the best thing that could have happened for it. It is simply awesome to walk into a shop and be able to see, smell, touch.....what kind of bud you are after. The "Budtenders" are all very knowledgeable about their wares and the prices are very reasonable. In the first week marijuana brought in 11 million dollars....compare that to Colorado and Washington who averaged 2-4 million in their first month...amazing. Not taxed yet, but will be in January and the taxes will go to schools, and road improvements to name a couple. Legalizing crack, meth, heroin? Oh hell no...no no no...that's just wrong.

But decriminalizing drugs would actually HELP people. We can't have any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmankill1 View Post
    All the illegal drugs that would become "legal" with this needs to be regulated in such a way that innocent people don't get caught up in it. Like second hand smoke. I DO NOT CARE WHAT STUPID PRIDE YOU HAVE ABOUT SMOKING! IT IS NOT FAIR TO BREATH IN YOUR DEATH.
    Imagine the streets smelling of all sorts of nonsensical drugs, regulation is required.
    Why do you think they would have lesser regulations than already in place for public intoxication or smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I usually think the UN has good ideas, but unbanning "all" substances is a poor idea. Some drugs, like heroin and crack, destroy the lives of whoever takes them. Selling or giving them to people should be illegal.
    Exact same argument has been made for alcohol. Ultimately the people who have their lives "destroyed" by drugs would have wrecked themselves anyway via gambling, drinking, or any other addictive behavior which they eventually find themselves participating in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Is this the same UN that wanted to criminalize mean words typed to women on the internet?

Deleted
    Such a stupid idea. I mean, it's one thing to decriminalize soft drugs and another to decriminalize hard drugs, I mean, krokodile, crystal meth etc... these should never be decriminalized! They're a danger for everyone.