Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I got a question for you all...we call it pop in Michigan, what do you call it?
    Top 40 radio.

But you're talking about soda.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    People born speaking English as their first language, what dialect of English do you speak?

I speak in the Baltimorian (Maryland Native here) Dialect of American English, so a lot of times I pronounce words like wash as "warsh".

What about you?
    I've got a rugged Texan accent. ;(

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Top 40 radio.

But you're talking about soda.
    We call it coke. I guess because we miss cocaine that much.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Don't let them harass you my fellow Michigander, we both know that pop is what it's really called.

Music, it's the same.

Drink, it's Fizzy Drink. It is after all, Fizzy. Some places call them Soft Drinks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Don't let them harass you my fellow Michigander, we both know that pop is what it's really called.
    That's what they call it in West Virginia as well; however, with that hillbilly accent of theirs it is almost like nails across a chalkboard. I cannot stand the word anymore as a result.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

I can sympathize with that, I spent a week in Morgantown, which seemed like one of the more "educated" areas of the state and it drove me crazy too.

7+ Year Old Account
    English... dialect? So basically, "Which group of people who can't form words correctly do you belong to?" :P

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Btw, should've probably posted this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...glish_language
    Inland Northern American. I don't get mad when people use "soda", but I do consider them assholes and tip less for it. I do get mad about "tennis shoes" cuz if you don't play tennis or if you are referring to Jordan's as tennis shoes... just fuck all the way off.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pop or you are wrong.

I actually don't REALLY mind the pop/soda argument, cuz it's clearly pop. I do, however, strongly dislike the "coke" people, cuz it's retarded to ask if I'd like a coke, and then proceed to tell me that you have pepsi products.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    We say pop here in England too. A can of pop or just the brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I don't get mad when people use "soda", but I do consider them assholes and tip less for it.
    You would tip less for someone using their native dialect? I'm pretty sure that makes someone else the asshole in that interaction. Last time I was in Mississippi I asked for an unsweetened iced tea at a diner (a dangerous gamble, I know) and the girl brought me an iced coffee. I tipped more for it.

I do, however, strongly dislike the "coke" people, cuz it's retarded to ask if I'd like a coke, and then proceed to tell me that you have pepsi products.
    Agreed. And from the server's POV it can be even worse. Asking someone what they would like to drink, they say coke, they get brought a coke, they chew out the server for bringing them a coke when they wanted a sprite. "But you said coke?!"

I am not entirely sure which accent I have. I do know I speak with a nasally deep monotone. I think it's the "neutral" American accent (like someone said, the type they teach news people to speak so most people can understand them). From what I have been told, it's the "Ohio accent".

As for the carbonated corn syrup water debate: It's coke or soda. And if people actually do say "coke" when answering what they would like to drink at a restaurant and get pissy when they are brought a Coca Cola, then they are retarded. The answer is never "a coke" unless you mean the one in the red can with Coca Cola on it. Now, the question "Would you like a coke?" is a valid one, because it should always be followed by "Which kind?" It is NEVER "pop". Soda is the better choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I don't have an accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    I don't have an accent.
    Why do people say this? Of course you have an accent, just because it's not noticeable by yourself, it is still very obvious to someone outside of your area/country.

Quote Originally Posted by Celia View Post
    I'm pretty sure that makes someone else the asshole in that interaction.
    You're be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.