Thread: PSU question

10+ Year Old Account

PSU question

Howdy mighty MMO-Champ!

I am in need of your assistance, so let's get to it.

My new (just updated) setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card
    Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 260X (as i just upgraded this is from the old build)
    Storage: Kingston 240GB SSD
    Storage: Seagate 1TB HDD
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan
    Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan
    Monitor: 2x LG 22M35A 21.5"
    PSU: LC Power LC5550 Silent 550W

Now then, here's the question:

Is the above PSU good enough for this setup? I wish to OC the CPU and maybe even the GPUs (if needed). Do note that around new year i intend to replace the R7 with another 980 (same as the one i have).
    If not can you suggest me another one? Budget would be around 100e (i guess it's enough).

If there's anything I forgot, do mention it and i will answer asap. Thx in advance

Note: I live in Montengro, but here i got a retailer who has everything He will sell me anything you find on newegg for the same price

550 seems a tad low, especially running two VGAs among everything else. I'd personally go with a 1k to be sure that you have enough plus room to work with in the future.

Deleted
    Wait a sec you got an r7 running at the same time with the 980? Also that retailer got a website to reckon you a psu? As for the poster above, no offence, but you're clueless. With a gt980, system under full load (ie almost never) you will have like 450watts? So say a 550, hell a 650w is more than enough. 1k is not good, its actually worse, cause you will have it run at 20-40%.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-10-20 at 11:19 AM.

Nah not clueless, I just don't skimp. Minimum recommended for sli 980s is 850, so please learn your shit before you try reprimanding others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by robomatticus View Post
    Nah not clueless, I just don't skimp. Minimum recommended for sli 980s is 850, so please learn your shit before you try reprimanding others.
    The recommended stuff is nVidia (and AMD for that matter) assuming you have a crappy ass power supply in general.

The GTX980 consumed give or take 175W of power on normal non-OC use from a 12V rail on a PSU. (Yes I rounded up for ease)
    That means that if you were to SLI them they would consume 350W at full load.

Add in the rest of the system:
    91W for the CPU
    30W for the mobo
    20W for storage devices
    20W for fans (grossly overestimating this one)
    10W for the RAM

With even dual GTX980s you could get away with any Power Supply as long as they can deliver ca. 530W on the 12V rail.

So for his current system I would say his current PSU can handle having a single GTX 980 no problem, dual 980s isn't going to happen.

The bigger question here is though... why are you running a GTX 980 together with an R7 260X?

Also I'm assuming you live in Podgorica.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sincerely doubt you would need 850 watts... Run that build on pcpartpicker and check the wattage, he is way lower than 550 watts. He gets at 552 watts with that same exact build only if he chooses to SLI 2 GTX 980s, which he doesn't. 550 watts is enough, 650 watts is more than enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Wait a sec you got an r7 running at the same time with the 980? Also that retailer got a website to reckon you a psu?
    Nope the R7 isn't in yet, just the 980. I was afraid it won't work with the PSU so i didn't wanna risk it :P

As for the website, there is one, but it's not in english. I'll link it bellow if you wanna try :P i filtered it to PSUs and the sorting is by price

http://www.datalink.me/komponente/na...ce/results1-24

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Nope the R7 isn't in yet, just the 980. I was afraid it won't work with the PSU so i didn't wanna risk it :P
    You shouldn't even bother, it will cause issues other than PSU load issues which you may actually have occur.
    Just leave it out really, what purpose could it possibly serve with a GTX 980 in it?

http://www.datalink.me/Cooler-Master...-700-ACABB1-EU
    http://www.datalink.me/Chieftec-CTG-750C-750W-A80

These are your cheapest probable options.
    Though I have to say Montenegro is far more expensive with this than I thought they'd be.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2015-10-20 at 11:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The bigger question here is though... why are you running a GTX 980 together with an R7 260X?

Also I'm assuming you live in Podgorica.
    The R7 isn't in yet as i was afraid it won't work. The reason i have it is i used to have an amd 10 APU, then i upgraded into the above a few days ago. The PSU and the R7 are still here and i want to reuse them at least till i get another 980.
    I have 2 monitors and before i'd run the R7 along with the APU.

Yup, i live in Podgorica

15+ Year Old Account
    The R7 isn't in yet as i was afraid it won't work. The reason i have it is i used to have an amd 10 APU, then i upgraded into the above a few days ago. The PSU and the R7 are still here and i want to reuse them at least till i get another 980.
    I have 2 monitors and before i'd run the R7 along with the APU.

Yup, i live in Podgorica
    The R7 is useless in this regard, you can run 2 monitors off the GTX980.

Hell you could run 3 monitors off the R7 260X alone prior, you don't need 2 video cards to do so.

Sell off the R7 260X if you can find someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can run 2 monitors off the GTX980.
    See now i feel like an idiot for not figuring this myself :P the whole thing is due to arrive today so i haven't yet seen the GPU :P

You recon that PSU is ok then? Can handle the CPU OCed? Maybe even the single 980 OCed? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    See now i feel like an idiot for not figuring this myself :P the whole thing is due to arrive today so i haven't yet seen the GPU :P

You recon that PSU is ok then? Can handle the CPU OCed? Maybe even the single 980 OCed? :P
    I wouldn't recommend it, seeing as your current PSU can supply a max. of 400W on it's 12V lines that leaves you very little to play with.
    I suggest keeping it as is and picking up a new PSU (one of the ones that I linked) if you want to overclock/SLI things.

But... if you want to overclock CPU and possibly dual SLI overclocking than you may need a step larger than the ones I mentioned even.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't recommend it, seeing as your current PSU can supply a max. of 400W on it's 12V lines that leaves you very little to play with.
    I suggest keeping it as is and picking up a new PSU (one of the ones that I linked) if you want to overclock/SLI things.

But... if you want to overclock CPU and possibly dual SLI overclocking than you may need a step larger than the ones I mentioned even.
    So one of those you linked will be enough? Also yeah forget the 2nd GPU i'm sticking with the one 980.

Also if there's a much better option on say ebay, i'm ok with waiting on it to arrive.
    Could keep the current PSU till then and not OC anything

Note: if ordering it online, the price MUST be 100e total (item+shipment) as by our law here, if it's over 100e i'd need to pay taxes, otherwise no taxes
    Last edited by Denizly; 2015-10-20 at 12:23 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry but as others have said as well...

Now back to the point. You don't need to get the r7 in, and i am not sure it will even work with the nvidia at the same time. I think nvidia get physx off when another non nvidia gpu is present at the same time, there used to be some hack-drivers but that was 4-5years ago.

Looked on that website, it doesn't really have really good psu's. The best i found is the Cooler Master G550M 550W for asingle gpu setup, there is also the 650w version.

15+ Year Old Account
    So one of those you linked will be enough? Also yeah forget the 2nd GPU i'm sticking with the one 980.

Also if there's a much better option on say ebay, i'm ok with waiting on it to arrive.
    Could keep the current PSU till then and not OC anything

Note: if ordering it online, the price MUST be 100e total (item+shipment) as by our law here, if it's over 100e i'd need to pay taxes, otherwise no taxes
    Go for the Cooler Master I linked then, single rail design and hasn't gotten bad reviews really.
    The only pet peeve I have is that it's not modular.

As far as eBay goes... well there's a million power supplies on the market and shipping to Montenegro generally is not that good of an idea as it'll likely surpass what you want to pay.

Unless you have someone coming to visit you from outside of Montenegro that can bring a PSU along I wouldn't bother in your position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone for your responses

Will be getting the above mention cooler master, and stick to a single GPU

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't in terms of the CM one, but the one originally linked won't even power the 980, it only has 1 PCI-E connector while the video card requires two.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    This isn't in terms of the CM one, but the one originally linked won't even power the 980, it only has 1 PCI-E connector while the video card requires two.
    That was my thought at first as well but the card, according to reviews, have all gotten a PCIex splitter cable.
    So it should work, the PSU has the power for it anyway.

Edit:
    Molex 4-pin to PCIEx is what I meant with splitter.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2015-10-20 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Splitter definition