What should I know? (Coming back)

Haven't played a very long time.. Have a max level Ranger. Mainly come back because I want to play Druid. lol Anything I should prepare before the expansion goes live in a couple days? Do I need to do any main story mission I may have missed to unlock the new expansion stuff.. Or can I just jump right into the new stuff?

If you've bought the expansion you'll be able to jump right in. If you haven't played since the skill point/hero point change I'd suggest logging in and taking a look at that stuff because the whole trait system has been completely changed.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Haven't played a very long time.. Have a max level Ranger. Mainly come back because I want to play Druid. lol Anything I should prepare before the expansion goes live in a couple days? Do I need to do any main story mission I may have missed to unlock the new expansion stuff.. Or can I just jump right into the new stuff?
    If you want a druid, you may need 170 extra hero points to unlock that specialization (after getting to level 80 and maxing out all of your current trait lines). You can get that extra 170 by going around the map and doing all the hero point challenges (used to be called skill points) to get that amount. Now that 170 isn't official since that was data-mined a couple of months ago.

Just jump right in. There are no overly involved or required systems in GW2.

The game is designed to be causal play friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    If you want a druid, you may need 170 extra hero points to unlock that specialization (after getting to level 80 and maxing out all of your current trait lines). You can get that extra 170 by going around the map and doing all the hero point challenges (used to be called skill points) to get that amount. Now that 170 isn't official since that was data-mined a couple of months ago.
    Also, you don't have to unlock all the core trait lines fully.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually apparently you do need to have all the core lines completely unlocked before you can put points in the elite specs.

Unlocking your elite spec is a training line in your training panel that costs hero points. You do need to have trained all the existing training lines before you’re allowed to put hero points into your elite spec.

If you’ve got all the hero points in the existing game you’ll have enough to train about half the elite specialization training line on launch day. The rest you’ll need to earn in the jungle or via the new system Tyler outlined yesterday from WvW. The number of points to fully train your elite spec is higher than other training lines – but hero challenges in the jungle are worth 10 points each, so it’s not actually as big as it appears.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/elite-specializations-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5627999
    It’s 400 points total to unlock everything in an elite spec training line – I just can’t remember off hand how many points folks have currently if they have done all the existing ones, but it’s right around 200. The rest you’ll need to earn in jungle to unlock the deeper skills/traits/etc. in the training line.

You only need 60 hero points to begin using your elite spec, the points you spend after that continue to unlock more skills, traits, skins, etc.

Again, hero challenges are worth 10 points each in the jungle. So no you don’t need to go do 200-400 jungle challenges.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/elite-specializations-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5628041

There are enough hero challenges in the jungle you don’t need to do any in the core tyrian world – those simply speed you up on day one if you already got them.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/elite-specializations-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5628102

Deleted
    That's an arseload of hero points. Any mention on how many hero challenges are located in the jungles? If you need, say, 20-40 jungle challenges, will there even be 20-40 jungle challenges available? Or will you have to go do the ~190 hero challenges in the rest of Tyria?

I don't really feel like I want to spend time during the expansion doing things that I could have done outside of the expansion. I'd rather be able to earn them all in the jungle.

Colin said there are enough hero challenges in the jungle to be able to fully unlock the elite specs, so you wouldn't have to go back to the old zones to do it. People who do have points from those will however have a bit of a "head start" when they launch HoT becuase they'll have more extra points right away.

So I logged on and turns out I have 335 unspent hero points. Not bad I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jump into PvP. The way PvP works now, and the sweet rewards, makes it the best way to go in GW2. IMHO, the MMR when you play solo is really well balanced. I constantly have games that are 475 - 500.