Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    Source: AVMA
    That still doesn't disprove what I stated, 62% of all dog fatalities came from one breed. One story about a 5 lb dog killing an infant doesn't change that statistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    The only solution is to give everyone a pit bull. Also this attack probably happened in a pit bull free zone.
    If everybody has a pit bull, nobody has a pit bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Your analogy is almost as bad as your spelling. It's BREED, not BREAD.
    Actually, in the context "bread" was used, it's "bred".

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Post #16? You really fucked the dog on that one.
    I'm busy being stereotyped and marginalized by you shitheels in the election thread!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteron View Post
    Actually, in the context "bread" was used, it's "bred".
    It was used in two different contexts.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I honestly don't think we should be allowed to own pitbulls anymore. I've said this before in here, but we've proven that we just can't be responsible for such a breed. While the breed used to be quite great back in the day, poor breeding and shitty owners have just made this breed dangerous.

Before, any aggressiveness was bred out, to ensure they wouldn't attack people. Nowadays, people don't care about quailty breeding and more and more people are breeding these dogs to fight. Back then, owners/breeders were far more responsible in selecting which dogs to breed... nowadays we aren't and more people are breeding aggressive lines and those aggressive lines are going to families that are just truly looking for the great family dog the pit bull once was.
    I'm starting to agree with you, tbh.

It's not that Pit Bulls can't be great dogs, it's that WHEN it goes wrong, it goes HORRIBLY wrong.

Your " counter argument " doesn't even apply. Last I checked the people you referenced have the ability to decipher what is right and wrong, dogs do not. Now learn from your mistake and move along.
    Dogs do know how to decipher what is right and wrong if the owner trains them to do so.

Also most of those links are bullshit because most people don't even know what a pitbull looks like. Hell I had a american bulldog people called a pitbull. Like I said early'er by ur logic of "they are reported on the most so they are all bad" that would mean all black people are bad because they commit the most crimes.

Like I said if all you can do is insult me then I have won.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'm starting to agree with you, tbh.

It's not that Pit Bulls can't be great dogs, it's that WHEN it goes wrong, it goes HORRIBLY wrong.
    Exactly, it's people's fault because they continue to breed this dog into the ground. Inbreeding is such a huge issue, and no one cares anymore.

It was used in two different contexts.
    Yeah, and it was only spelled incorrectly the second time.

That still doesn't disprove what I stated, 62% of all dog fatalities came from one breed. One story about a 5 lb dog killing an infant doesn't change that statistic.
    And that one breed gets false reported on alot. How about you go look up how many times someone screems pitbull and its not one.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, you must've misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about "little nips" from a 5-pound dog. These are dog bites that cause serious injury or even death.

Pomeranian kills child: http://amarillo.com/stories/100900/u...l#.VibEP_mrTcs

Do you know why Pitbulls are so high on that list? Because a lot of people can't identify what a Pitbull really is. I have read news articles where people were calling a dog that was clearly a Labrador a Pitbull! And this isn't an isolated incident. People will call any dog with short fur and a big blocky head a Pitbull even if the dog doesn't have any Pit in it.

Also, dogbites.org is VERY prejudiced against Pitbulls, so the information can't be trusted.

You also have to count for the sheer number that are a part of the dog breed population. Pitbulls outnumber most other breeds because they're so popular. It takes a lot to make them bite (when they haven't been trained for it specifically), but when they do, the bite is more likely to be fatal compared to all other dog breeds simply because of the construction of their jaw.

Here is an unbiased report from AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association):

Source: AVMA
    All of this may be exactly correct, and there is still a terrible problem: "the bite is more likely to be fatal compared to all other dog breeds simply because of the construction of their jaw". If a dog is more likely to kill when it bites, then it is more dangerous. This is why most people do not consider poodles to be dangerous. I've met some very nippy poodles, one that even drew blood, but I walked away in one piece.

Pit bulls may or may not be no more aggressive than any other breed. But irrespective of their aggression (as long as they fall within a couple standard deviations of the mean), they are still more dangerous, and this should be recognized.

Those statistics are inaccurate, and I already explained why Pitbull showed up high on it anyway. People cannot accurately identify a Pitbull. Some people actually think any dog that bites is automatically a Pitbull no matter its appearance!

Hey, look, here's another UNBIASED report about dog bites, stating that only about half of dog bites reported to be from Pitbulls are actually from Pitbulls because people don't know how to identify the breed. Dog Bite Statistics
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Dogs do know how to decipher what is right and wrong if the owner trains them to do so.

Also most of those links are bullshit because most people don't even know what a pitbull looks like. Hell I had a american bulldog people called a pitbull. Like I said early'er by ur logic of "they are reported on the most so they are all bad" that would mean all black people are bad because they commit the most crimes.

Like I said if all you can do is insult me then I have won.
    You still keep using that shitty analogy to make a weak argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Those statistics are inaccurate, and I already explained why Pitbull showed up high on it anyway. People cannot accurately identify a Pitbull. Some people actually think any dog that bites is automatically a Pitbull no matter its appearance!

Hey, look, here's another UNBIASED report about dog bites, stating that only about half of dog bites reported to be from Pitbulls are actually from Pitbulls because people don't know how to identify the breed. Dog Bite Statistics
    The problem with your article is that the data ends in 2001. The rise of the pit bulls is a pretty new trend, and the trend of Rotts/Dobermans are down. So it doesn't even statistically matter being over a decade old article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And that one breed gets false reported on alot. How about you go look up how many times someone screems pitbull and its not one.
    You're assuming that this data is coming from uneducated plebians. But if they're writing up a study on dog violence, then they're probably pretty good at telling breeds apart.

I will note that some studies look just at media reports. Others, however, require much more stringent data. Either way, you can't assume that the quoted study was using one method or the other.

You still keep using that shitty analogy to make a weak argument.
    And you still can't prove me wrong. Like Caninepawprints and I have already said your statistics are inaccurate because people cannot accurately identify a Pitbull.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh so your friend has a " good one ", so that must mean that all are like his right? My brother-in-law had a good pit bull as well, until it attacked his neighbor. Also statistics tend to disagree with your statement, these dogs account for most fatalities by gigantic margin.
    This comes up over and over, but "pit bull" is a broad statement. Tons and tons of different dogs get classified as "pitt bulls".
    Basically any dog that has a big head, cropped ears, brindle coat, and is large/stocky gets classified as a "pitt bull".

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    All of this may be exactly correct, and there is still a terrible problem: "the bite is more likely to be fatal compared to all other dog breeds simply because of the construction of their jaw". If a dog is more likely to kill when it bites, then it is more dangerous. This is why most people do not consider poodles to be dangerous. I've met some very nippy poodles, one that even drew blood, but I walked away in one piece.

Pit bulls may or may not be no more aggressive than any other breed. But irrespective of their aggression (as long as they fall within a couple standard deviations of the mean), they are still more dangerous, and this should be recognized.
    Yes, I agree with you. It's something to be concerned about. However, it all comes back to how the dog is raised and what they're taught, which means the owner is at fault if something goes horribly wrong, not the dog. And as I said earlier, as long as the dog isn't taught to be vicious, it actually takes quite a lot to make them bite. Unfortunately, those bites tend to be more fatal than any other breed's.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    You're assuming that this data is coming from uneducated plebians. But if they're writing up a study on dog violence, then they're probably pretty good at telling breeds apart.

I will note that some studies look just at media reports. Others, however, require much more stringent data. Either way, you can't assume that the quoted study was using one method or the other.
    Right and since "you" can't that makes the study itself inaccurate and pointless.

Deleted
    Pit bull is a fine breed, nothing particularly aggressive or bad about them. The thing is that most people who buy pit bulls are bad owners. Bad owners go for pit bulls because of their reputation and look. Just look at most gangsters or beta people, they all have Molosser breeds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    If I was a parent I'd never trust my child being left near any kind of dog, or cat even, before a certain age... let alone pit bulls, but if it was known that these dogs were aggresive and had a history of attacking people before then it's just blatant negligence on the part of the parents, or sadly maybe, just lack of intelligence to understand / predict the danger.
    I had cats when I was growing up. One was particularly temperamental. I tried playing with it, like most kids do, and ended up getting scratched in the face, pretty badly. I still have the scars.

If it was a certain breed of dog, I would have been mauled to death. Fortunately cat scratches and bites are basically never fatal, unless there are microbes involved.