Question New to DK, one question on rotation

I'm currently leveling as Blood. I was reading on Icy Veins that you should use Outbreak on pull for single target and multiple target situations. IV also states that Glyph of Outbreak is highly recommended, pretty much mandatory. I'm also only level 65 so I don't have Outbreak yet. This is where I get confused - these two ideas clash. You need 30 runic power to cast Outbreak if you have it glyphed. How are you supposed to open with Outbreak if you have the glyph? Am I missing something?

Glyphed is better if youre chain pulling. Ideally you want to throw in diseases, bloodboil a few times and deathstrike/coil repeat until dead. When mob is near dead, keep 30rp so you have it for the next mob pack. Also, throw your diseases and bloodboil in packs to spread before you steal to save 30rp.
    In situations where outbreak isnt available yet, ignore that step. On bosses/large mobs apply the diseases through the icy touch and whatever the other one is (plagued I think?)

As blood youre essentially immortal while leveling. Just use deathstrike and bloodboil when the runes permit. Cycle your defensives when required, and youll be 90 in a day or two!

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just a few things to note.

1) Glyph of Outbreak is amazing when coupled with the talent Plague Leech. Because the glyph remove it's cooldown, it translates into 2 free Death Runes every 25 seconds (Plague Leech CD). Without Glyph of Outbreak, your Outbreak has a 1 min cooldown, which means you get the 2 free Death Runes every minute instead of every 25 seconds (waiting for Outbreak to come off CD before Plague Leeching). In addition to this, Blood DKs generate RP in insane quantities, so a glyphed Outbreak essentially becomes spammable.

2) If you're tanking a dungeon/raid or anything with other people, do not pull with Outbreak. It applies your diseases but does not DoT tick on it's initial application. Hence, you run the risk of having DPSers aggro the boss on pull and getting one-shot. With that being said, initial pulls should always be done with a taunt or an Icy Touch+Plague Strike combo because those abilities do damage on contact, thereby gaining you threat.

If you'd like more in-depth stuff, check out Troxism's guide:

http://sonofalich.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51
    Last edited by Quim; 2015-10-30 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathstrike = One Outbreak if i'm not mistaken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Deathstrike = One Outbreak if i'm not mistaken.
    Outbreak with glyph is 30 runic power, and death strike generates 20 runic power when used, so it's 2/3rds of an outbreak. So you essentially pay 30 RP for 2 guaranteed death runes every 25 seconds with Plague Leech.

hey, so a few things. IV is assuming you are pulling bosses, but you will be using army of the dead prepull and that will give you enough RP to cast outbreak. Even then you shouldnt be opening with outbreak, because the threat wont be enough. For a boss you open with taunt then blood boil due to range, then outbreak.

In an instance with a multi target pull, if you open with outbreak they will scatter past you. So you run in and open with blood boil for snap agro, death strike to build rp, outbreak, blood boil to spread. Do not pull with grip or death and decay. Use grip on ranged/stragglers, and drop dnd under where you end up.

When you are leveling in the world, losing runes replacing diseases is quite a waste. You are basically immortal so you should only have to put up diseases once as you enter an area, and then drag mobs around to blood boil the diseases to fresh targets as you go. Also if you arent aoeing large packs then being in uh pres will give you extra death strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quim View Post
    Just a few things to note.

1) Glyph of Outbreak is amazing when coupled with the talent Plague Leech. Because the glyph remove it's cooldown, it translates into 2 free Death Runes every 25 seconds (Plague Leech CD). Without Glyph of Outbreak, your Outbreak has a 1 min cooldown, which means you get the 2 free Death Runes every minute instead of every 25 seconds (waiting for Outbreak to come off CD before Plague Leeching). In addition to this, Blood DKs generate RP in insane quantities, so a glyphed Outbreak essentially becomes spammable.

2) If you're tanking a dungeon/raid or anything with other people, do not pull with Outbreak. It applies your diseases but does not DoT tick on it's initial application. Hence, you run the risk of having DPSers aggro the boss on pull and getting one-shot. With that being said, initial pulls should always be done with a taunt or an Icy Touch+Plague Strike combo because those abilities do damage on contact, thereby gaining you threat.

If you'd like more in-depth stuff, check out Troxism's guide:

http://sonofalich.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51
    Sweet, Ty for the link- as I'm new to DK as well.