Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    A little info about those coolers to help you pick what is best for you:

- Performance wise both X61 and h100i are similar to stock and overclocks. They are also similar within 1-2degrees to NH-D15 i linked. Unless you overclock over say 4.2GHz all 3 have similar performance, the aiao's start pulling over after 4.5GHz.
    You sure you're looking at the right benchmarks?
    The H100i GTX and Kraken X61 both beat the NH-D15 without effort

See here for performance reviews!

- On sound tho the difference is quite noticeable with with NH-D15 having like 5db less than the rest with h100i i think being the worst.
    Yeah if you run fans full blast etc.
    When running PWM mode the difference is marginal at best, even when OCed.
    Whilst I cannot attest that for the Kraken X61 I most certainly can for the H100i GTX and the DH-N14 and DH-N15.

- Obviously if looks and beautiful leds matter to you then you go aiao. Nh-D15 is ugly as hell thats why i will never buy it and my go to air cooler is Be Quiet!Dark Rock pro3.
    Well he did pick the Graphite 780T, kinda is telling don't you think?

- Price, X61 is like 20% more expensive than the other 2 that cost almost the same.
    280mm cooling radiator vs. 240mm or a lump of metal, did you expect anything different?
    Though I am curious as to why the NH-D15 is nearly the same cost as H100i GTX, this shouldn't even be remotely the case.

Bottom line, for me, unless cost is not an issue, i wouldn't buy the x61 cause it doesn't give me 20% more performance or aesthetics. Then unless you plan to go over 4.0-4.2Ghz the h100i is not worth it sound wise, you would need 2x120mm Be Quiet! Shadow wings2 or Noctua NF-P12 pwm's fans to make it work. And i have personal experience cause i've done the same and have even set a custom rpm curve for it.
    Strange how end results differ so much then.
    I currently have a Corsair Hydro H100i GTX and I had the H100, H100i and the DH-N14 and DH-N15.. I can honestly say that the H100i GTX smokes all 4 of em badly.
    I will agree with the H100 and H100i being louder, without doubt but I honestly believe you are confusing some AIOs here.

I hope all this help you pick up what is best for you.

As for the mobos, really, unless you are going to use the boards at their full potential including overclocks (chips lottery will have greater impact) you aren't going to see any difference in your daily use.
    I did say that, he went balls-to-the-wall .. let him enjoy it!
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2015-10-22 at 05:53 PM. Reason: First link formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You sure you're looking at the right benchmarks?
    The H100i GTX and Kraken X61 both beat the NH-D15 without effort

[url=http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7277/corsair-hydro-h100i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html]See here for performance reviews!

Yeah if you run fans full blast etc.
    When running PWM mode the difference is marginal at best, even when OCed.
    Whilst I cannot attest that for the Kraken X61 I most certainly can for the H100i GTX and the DH-N14 and DH-N15.

Well he did pick the Graphite 780T, kinda is telling don't you think?

280mm cooling radiator vs. 240mm or a lump of metal, did you expect anything different?
    Though I am curious as to why the NH-D15 is nearly the same cost as H100i GTX, this shouldn't even be remotely the case.

Strange how end results differ so much then.
    I currently have a Corsair Hydro H100i GTX and I had the H100, H100i and the DH-N14 and DH-N15.. I can honestly say that the H100i GTX smokes all 4 of em badly.
    I will agree with the H100 and H100i being louder, without doubt but I honestly believe you are confusing some AIOs here.

I did say that, he went balls-to-the-wall .. let him enjoy it!
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/915?vs=934

I wouldn't say it smokes it. It does beat it, by like 8C, but that's really not that big a deal. That's also the d14 not the d15, the d15 is a little better. Either way, my friend and I both have the d14 and i5-4690K's. Mine is OCed to 4.4 and got to 4.6 before becoming unstable. Running a stress test with AIDA64 @4.6gHz and did not go over 60C. My friend got his to 4.8-5.0 range and did not go over 65C. Neither of us is going over 70C, so not shortening the life of the chip significantly or anything at all. What would those extra 8C actually gain me? Nothing at all really, other than additional cost and noise?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/915?vs=934

I wouldn't say it smokes it. It does beat it, by like 8C, but that's really not that big a deal. That's also the d14 not the d15, the d15 is a little better. Either way, my friend and I both have the d14 and i5-4690K's. Mine is OCed to 4.4 and got to 4.6 before becoming unstable. Running a stress test with AIDA64 @4.6gHz and did not go over 60C. My friend got his to 4.8-5.0 range and did not go over 65C. Neither of us is going over 70C, so not shortening the life of the chip significantly or anything at all. What would those extra 8C actually gain me? Nothing at all really, other than additional cost and noise?
    You're looking at the wrong cooler ...

There's 3 H100 series Made by Corsair in chronological order:
    1. Corsair Hydro H100
    2. Corsair Hydro H100i
    3. Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

I'm referring to No. 3 smoking the rest, not No. 2 which I said was significantly noisier.

You're looking at the wrong cooler ...

There's 3 H100 series Made by Corsair in chronological order:
    1. Corsair Hydro H100
    2. Corsair Hydro H100i
    3. Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

I'm referring to No. 3 smoking the rest, not No. 2 which I said was significantly noisier.
    You conveniently ignored the question. However, you are right, it was the wrong cooler. It was also the D14 not the D15. If we look at the benchmark you linked, the difference between the GTX and the D15 is 5C at stock and a little over 7C with OC. Not enough of a difference to really affect anything since with the D14 I can already achieve max OC and stay under 70C. That is basically a wash in the temp department. So back to the question, aside from additional cost and noise what is gained?

15+ Year Old Account
    You conveniently ignored the question. However, you are right, it was the wrong cooler. It was also the D14 not the D15. If we look at the benchmark you linked, the difference between the GTX and the D15 is 5C at stock and a little over 7C with OC. Not enough of a difference to really affect anything since with the D14 I can already achieve max OC and stay under 70C. That is basically a wash in the temp department. So back to the question, aside from additional cost and noise what is gained?
    I hadn't seen the question, just the statement.

For one the GTX has a higher ceiling when it comes to heat dissipation.
    If you count that with the fact we're talking about a 5820K here vs. a 4770K with a possible overclock the difference becomes considerably bigger.
    (If you hadn't noticed the link earlier even a moderate overclock adds 120W power usage to the CPU)
    It also adds convenience in regards to RAM clearance issues as mentioned prior, not to mention building it is a lot easier.

However if we go by your point, why go beyond f.ex. even a Cryorig H5? That can manage the same speeds but slightly higher temps still well within tolerance.

There's also aesthetics but that's honestly 100% personal so I won't count that.

Is that satisfactory for you?

I hadn't seen the question, just the statement.

For one the GTX has a higher ceiling when it comes to heat dissipation.
    If you count that with the fact we're talking about a 5820K here vs. a 4770K with a possible overclock the difference becomes considerably bigger.
    (If you hadn't noticed the link earlier even a moderate overclock adds 120W power usage to the CPU)
    It also adds convenience in regards to RAM clearance issues as mentioned prior, not to mention building it is a lot easier.

However if we go by your point, why go beyond f.ex. even a Cryorig H5? That can manage the same speeds but slightly higher temps still well within tolerance.

There's also aesthetics but that's honestly 100% personal so I won't count that.

Is that satisfactory for you?
    Because a Cryorig H5 can barely maintain 70C with a good OC on there.
    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,9.html

Convenience for RAM is a somewhat solid argument, but as much as people complain about it, I have corsair vengeance RAM with the big fins under my NH-D14. On top of that, even if it did not fit, those fins are really really easy to take off and serve no purpose anyway.

Aesthetics yes, that is, IMO, the only valid argument for going AIO water coolers. If you don't want a big ugly heatsink in your PC, you go with water. If you don't want to spend hundreds on it, you go AIO.

Deleted
    Snip
    Ok the gtx is 5degrees better at full load but its 25db more audible, so wtf. Not a choice for me sorry, you actually prooved its even worse than i said. I would take 5degrees more every day since i dont care about max overclocks over that jet engine.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,9.html

Convenience for RAM is a somewhat solid argument, but as much as people complain about it, I have corsair vengeance RAM with the big fins under my NH-D14. On top of that, even if it did not fit, those fins are really really easy to take off and serve no purpose anyway.

Aesthetics yes, that is, IMO, the only valid argument for going AIO water coolers. If you don't want a big ugly heatsink in your PC, you go with water. If you don't want to spend hundreds on it, you go AIO.
    The point of the Cryorig was made to show that "technically" it too can handle what you would be throwing at it in general so the NH-D14/D15 is also overkill.

Also I had made 2 points with information at the beginning you managed to ignore this time.

Ok the gtx is 5degrees better at full load but its 25db more audible, so wtf. Not a choice for me sorry, you actually prooved its even worse than i said. I would take 5degrees more every day since i dont care about max overclocks over that jet engine.
    Don't you just love it when your are discussing something with someone and they provide the data that proves them wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

The point of the Cryorig was made to show that "technically" it too can handle what you would be throwing at it in general so the NH-D14/D15 is also overkill.

Also I had made 2 points with information at the beginning you managed to ignore this time.
    Ceiling does not matter if you are staying within safe temps either way so I ignored that.

Skylake runs cooler than Haswell:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...#ThermalOutput

So if it's good enough to keep my 4690K under 70 at load it'll work for the Skylakes too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't you just love it when your are discussing something with someone and they provide the data that proves them wrong?
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
    You seem to think there is only 1 option to this and 1 choice, fan options a plenty and most importantly PWM modes, I.E. Temperature adjusted automatically.
    Those tests you love to pick apart are 2 extremes, slowest possible mode and fastest possible mode, how convenient it is to forget what was said earlier.

- - - Updated - - -
    Ceiling does not matter if you are staying within safe temps either way so I ignored that.

Skylake runs cooler than Haswell:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...#ThermalOutput

So if it's good enough to keep my 4690K under 70 at load it'll work for the Skylakes too.
    Funny.. I didn't know a Haswell-E was a Skylake processor.
    Not to mention a TDP of 140W is lower than 91W or that when overclocking that TDP basically becomes 260W vs. ca. 160W of the 4690K (Link

Ceiling doesn't matter you say?
    I'd love to see you try between an NH-D15 vs. H100i GTX on a 5820K Haswell-E @ 1.4V overclocked and then tell me it doesn't matter.

Please do read the processors and which types they are properly before commenting.

Funny.. I didn't know a Haswell-E was a Skylake processor.
    Not to mention a TDP of 140W is lower than 91W or that when overclocking that TDP basically becomes 260W vs. ca. 160W of the 4690K (Link

Ceiling doesn't matter you say?
    I'd love to see you try between an NH-D15 vs. H100i GTX on a 5820K Haswell-E @ 1.4V overclocked and then tell me it doesn't matter.

Please do read the processors and which types they are properly before commenting.
    Ok, sorry, wrong CPU. Can not find a direct temperature comparison of a Haswell-E and a Devil's Canyon. What I can see here:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-5820k-revie/8

Is that the power consumption of the 5820K is similar to the FX-8350. The 8350 actually uses a fair bit more at stock and only slightly more on OC.

With that info, I can look here:
    http://www.dvtests.com/noctua-nh-d15-test-and-review/

and see that the NH-D15 does a fine job of keeping the 8350 cool. The 8350 is pretty notorious for being hard to cool as well. So if it can keep it cool, I am sure it will do fine with the Haswell-E.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, sorry, wrong CPU. Can not find a direct temperature comparison of a Haswell-E and a Devil's Canyon. What I can see here:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-5820k-revie/8

Is that the power consumption of the 5820K is similar to the FX-8350. The 8350 actually uses a fair bit more at stock and only slightly more on OC.

With that info, I can look here:
    http://www.dvtests.com/noctua-nh-d15-test-and-review/

and see that the NH-D15 does a fine job of keeping the 8350 cool. The 8350 is pretty notorious for being hard to cool as well. So if it can keep it cool, I am sure it will do fine with the Haswell-E.
    Unfortunately comparing 2 different architectures and how they handle heat and temps is not indicative of anything, hence why I haven't drawn comparisons between Intel and AMD temperature wise, only power draw wise.

I did a little bit of searching and whilst I couldn't find the 5820K I did find the 5960X overclocked for both NH-D15 and H100i GTX

5960X @ 4.4GHz using 1.35V - NH-D15
    5960X @ 4.4GHz using 1.425V - Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

End result is that the 1.35V ends up with 88°C vs. the H100i's 1.425V @ 76°C.
    Now the difference in voltage there and the inherent ceiling gain is rather large between the 2.
    Both using open test benches and I think you'll agree that both are moderate overclocks rather than high ones.

The fan speed shown in the picture for the H100i is "Quiet mode" @ roundabout 800RPM.
    Pump speed is full speed (you only have 2 settings on the pump, 50% or 100%, the 100% is slightly audible on an open test bench, closed case it's inaudible or you have Superman levels of hearing.

If it were a standard socket 1156/1155/1150/1151 I would've agreed that the difference is minute unless you crank things up (barring small conveniences).
    But considering the OP wants balls-to-the-wall there's a definite advantage if he starts OCing the 5820K on the AIO vs. NH-D15

Is this satisfactory to your information requirements?

Unfortunately comparing 2 different architectures and how they handle heat and temps is not indicative of anything, hence why I haven't drawn comparisons between Intel and AMD temperature wise, only power draw wise.

I did a little bit of searching and whilst I couldn't find the 5820K I did find the 5960X overclocked for both NH-D15 and H100i GTX

Now the difference in voltage there and the inherent ceiling gain is rather large between the 2.
    Both using open test benches and I think you'll agree that both are moderate overclocks rather than high ones.

The fan speed shown in the picture for the H100i is "Quiet mode" @ roundabout 800RPM.
    Pump speed is full speed (you only have 2 settings on the pump, 50% or 100%, the 100% is slightly audible on an open test bench, closed case it's inaudible or you have Superman levels of hearing.

If it were a standard socket 1156/1155/1150/1151 I would've agreed that the difference is minute unless you crank things up (barring small conveniences).
    But considering the OP wants balls-to-the-wall there's a definite advantage if he starts OCing the 5820K on the AIO vs. NH-D15

Not really, because once again, they are both well within safe ranges, the top end of that chip being 105C. I also do not see where it says that GTX is running in quiet mode for that particular test. I see them explaining how to set up corsair link and a generic screenshot of it, but not what it is set at for the test.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really, because once again, they are both well within safe ranges, the top end of that chip being 105C. I also do not see where it says that GTX is running in quiet mode for that particular test. I see them explaining how to set up corsair link and a generic screenshot of it, but not what it is set at for the test.
    Well within safe range is sub 105°C for not melting, Intel chips have a tendency to start error-ing out at ca. 90 - 95 degrees C.
    This is why most motherboard protections kick in at 90°C for Intel chips, I know this is often capable of being changed but it doesn't change the default.

Regardless the point is made that there is a tangible difference between the 2 especially with the exaggerated voltage bump between the NH-D15 and H100i GTX.
    Whether or not it's within "safe range" to not melt and "safe range for the mobo heat safety to kick in" are 2 different matters.

I will grant you them not stating what setting the H100i GTX is set at, I went with what's in the screenshot.
    But if they want apples-to-apples then it should be PWM controlled on basic H100i link settings.

However the point that was made was that it was useless to take a NZXT Kraken X61 or Corsair Hydro H100i GTX.
    The links above show quite the tangible and beneficial difference.

Besides you yourself stated the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais
    Wouldn't this standard you've set pretty much kill the H100i GTX? And if it kills the H100i GTX ... what does it do to your NH-D15?
    Remember... can't have double standards now.

10+ Year Old Account

You should not use two different review sites and use it as a comparison. The different test scenario and set up are not an equal comparison. There's also the randomness that is known as the silicon lottery.
    Technically if you want the most objective way to review things, you'd want to use a metal plate like Anandtech or FrostTech where temperature is controlled by wattage used and not by the computer. This way you remove any silicon randomness and gives an objective data point. There's also differences in how a cooler performs at lower and higher watt points, which shows it's strengths or weaknesses. Ones that do well at low load may not do so well at high loads, and vice versa. The vice versa matters cause if it falters at lower load it can be louder.

By the way, RPM is only part of the noise. Fan design means a lot.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Ninja4/7.html
    If you want to see the discrepancy between the two.

The thing about Noctua has never been purely performance or purely sound. It's a balance between those two that floats a lot of people's boat. It performs well while not sounding like hell broke loose in your computer. Memory clearance is less of a problem with the D15S which is essentially the D15 but asymmetrical.
    If you're going for purely low noise you'd go for Be Quiet. In a fashion you can use the traditional brute force of crazy fans to perform better, but that's a trade off for any cooler.

If the OP wants to balls to the walls OC, he wants to look at custom loops. AIOs aren't customizable and harder to maintain than a custom loop. Custom loop allows better configurations which can lead to better cooling.
    Reality with AIOs is they're limited. A lot of AIOs are made by Asetek and essentially an NZXT AIO and a Corsair AIO, for example, are the same. The only difference they can do is fan and pump control. In order for Corsair to hit that performance crown, they made the fans extremely aggressive. They don't have access to fan technology like Noctua, Be Quiet or Cryorig, so they resort to rebranding others which generally does not offer the best performance to sound balance so when trying to reduce fan noise you don't get quite the best performance for the noise and so it can lag behind.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-10-23 at 12:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Quote killed off to preserve space and sanity.
    You are correct in attempting to stay within the same site.
    Unfortunately I couldn't find 2 identical ones, but these are approximated.

It's better than nothing and does demonstrate my point, silicone lottery is good in the 1.35V for 4.4GHz one which is the NH-D15.
    Where in the Corsair H100i GTX it's 1.425V for 4.4GHz so the lottery is less lucky there but the difference is quite clearly large.

Regarding AIOs, yes they are no question limited vs. a proper cooling loop.. but a cooling loop that is proper comes close to 700 - 1000 USD alone.
    His stated budget is not that large and the AIO will suffice in this matter better than the NH-D15.

Please do note that I'm not saying the NH-D15 is bad, not even remotely .. it's a fantastic cooler.
    But in this case it is simply put outclassed by the H100i GTX.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I have a custom loop that cools my CPU and GPU with 2 radiators. It cost me less than $500 for everything.
    Now find that same loop in India or Europe for that price.

You have no idea how good you US people have it with computer hardware prices.

Edit:
    Just to give you an idea for prices.

The NH-D15 is, from Newegg.com, about $ 92,49
    The NH-D15 is, from the Indian webshop, about 8.200 INR which converts into roughly $ 126,70
    The NH-D15 is, from the cheapest webshop in the NL, about € 89,80 which converts into roughly $ 99,70

Granted the EU price has less difference now due to the dollar going up, but generally the EUR conversion rate most of the time is around 1.20 - 1.23 USD = 1 EUR, also our webshops are generally the cheapest in Europe.

So the price difference is there without issue, that is if the OP can even get a proper custom waterloop where he lives.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2015-10-23 at 01:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now find that same loop in India or Europe for that price.

You have no idea how good you US people have it with computer hardware prices.
    You should come here if you think EU don't have it good with hardware price...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You should come here if you think EU don't have it good with hardware price...
    My point was that outside of the US prices are fking terrible so you cannot just say "get a proper water cooling loop for 500 USD".
    Doesn't work that way anywhere else in the world.

Hello ,

prntscr.com/8ubhxx

Here is my final system :

Some changes i did with system :
    CPU Cooler : Crosair H100 i Gtx extreme
    PSU : HX 850i platinum
    SSD : 512 GB SSD Samsung evo
    HDD: 2 TB WDD Black

best regards
    jacktheking