Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

KKK: What's the deal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?...te%20Supremacy

I recently watched this documentary and found it somewhat interesting. Essentially it's a fly on the wall documentary about the KKK in 2014. I confess I knew little of the KKK beyond an organization of Southern Americans forming after the Civil War with an irrational hatred for black people. Personally the documentary actually surprised me how it's actually growing (despite 'em being radical nutjobs). What really disturbed me was the blatant manipulation of children into becoming racists. Hell some members actually praised Hitler!

The documentary also showed public demonstrations between the KKK and Black Panthers and what really alarmed me was how similar both activists were. KKK chanting white power and shouting racial slurs against Black Panthers chanting black power and shouting racial slurs! Ultimately it became apparent that both groups gained members due to racism flung towards them... A vicious cycle of racists creating racists by being racist towards others.

So what's the deal?

Personally what I got from it was this:

* A group still bitter about the Civil War
    * Victims of racism becoming racists
    * Childhood brainwashing
    * An old Bill protecting and allowing this

Personally it made me relieved that in my country inciting racial hatred is illegal

What's your opinion

For those that can't view link it's called KKK: The Fight for White Supremacy

Deleted
    as long as they don't hurt anybody they can say whatever they want

Well as much as I would love to see KKK, Black panthers and any other hate group eliminated I still believe in their freedom of speech because once you start censoring peoples opinions it will just get worse and worse until the government tells you what you're allowed to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    as long as they don't hurt anybody they can say whatever they want
    Last lynching tied to the KKK was in the 80's, so guess that means they need to shut up.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Well as much as I would love to see KKK, Black panthers and any other hate group eliminated I still believe in their freedom of speech because once you start censoring peoples opinions it will just get worse and worse until the government tells you what you're allowed to believe.
    Agree with this fredom if speach exists for a reason you can't start censoring people just because you don't like their opinion.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    I admire the US stance on freedom of speech. Everything that I think should be illegal regarding speech is already illegal there.

Deleted
    Same here, the KKK would probably try to tie me up and burn me alive, and they will say hateful things, but as long as they're not actually harming someone directly, they should be able to say whatever insane hateful things they want.

In fact, I feel better if they shout loud and clear, so we know who they are and where they are. I want them to stay in the public realm, so they can't grow quietly no one noticing, and then suddenly BAM my house is on fire.

"Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words can never hurt me." <-- it's called being an adult

Deleted
    Except racial motivated attacks DO occur and often fuelled by said groups

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Except racial motivated attacks DO occur and often fuelled by said groups
    Then we need to eliminate facebook and other social media, how many people have been the target of hate and the threat of violence because how much the story was blown over the Internet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    "Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words can never hurt me." <-- it's called being an adult
    Except that once you're an adult, you realize that there are laws against things like slander or threats. Because words can be harmful, in and of themselves. Every single developed nation, including the USA, has been in agreement on this for well over a century.

It's better to have your racism out in the open. Everyone knows the KKK are racist, the overall opinion of them is that they are backwards in their thinking and not very smart.

Something like the Charlie Hebdo cartoons could never happen in the US. At some point a critic of Charlie Hebdo would take KKK cartoons and Charlie Hebdo cartoons lay them side by side and challenge people to pick which cartoon belonged to which organization. When the reader couldn't pick, Charlie Hebdo would be painted with the KKK brush and everyone would know Charlie Hebdo is backwards thinking, racist and not very smart.

How can you tell something is racist if you have nothing to compare it to? A gold standard of racism.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Then we need to eliminate facebook and other social media, how many people have been the target of hate and the threat of violence because how much the story was blown over the Internet
    Facebook & other social media outlets have rules against such

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Same here, the KKK would probably try to tie me up and burn me alive, and they will say hateful things, but as long as they're not actually harming someone directly, they should be able to say whatever insane hateful things they want.

In fact, I feel better if they shout loud and clear, so we know who they are and where they are. I want them to stay in the public realm, so they can't grow quietly no one noticing, and then suddenly BAM my house is on fire.

Stick and stones may break your bones, but words leave psychological wounds that will never heal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    Stick and stones may break your bones, but words leave psychological wounds that will never heal
    Only if you let them. (shrug)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been told mean words are as bad as physical violence.

Somehow, I doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Only if you let them. (shrug)
    Doesn't work that way. Those words are always there and they never leave, much like a scar. It can build up and weigh you down immensely.

What I find funny is that he says it's called being an adult. But... That's what children say since children don't comprehend the psychological ramifications.

Deleted
    Where I live and work retards don't own the streets...in other words, I don't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    This, it's quite important, and neglecting the impact of words is, sorry to say, but childish.
    A child doesn't understand the "power" of what he says, hence the famous "you're not my father/mother".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Doesn't work that way. Those words are always there and they never leave, much like a scar. It can build up and weigh you down immensely.
    Yea, it does work that way. The words only stay with you and cause emotional scars because you were taught to take offense at the words. It's a learned response.

-Kujako-