Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My Prediction for the Trudeau liberal government in Canada: Tax Hikes

I thought I'd start a thread on predictions for Trudeau's administration.

Summary:

1. The left will push a tax hike on the poor and middle class.
    2. Apologists will do some combination of defending the hike, deflecting to how much it will help / maybe a tax on the rich as well / how evil the right is.
    3. Polls will sour quickly.
    4. Voters will give the right a big win in the next election.

I remember 1993. Bill Clinton entered the White House with a laundry list like that and control of both houses of congress. First thing he did was throw out the middle class tax cut and instead raise taxes on the poor and middle class. Clinton rammed that bill through congress and THAT led to the republicans winning in a landslide in 1994 and taking control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

I remember 2008. Obama entered the White House with a laundry list of ideas and control of both houses of congress. First thing he did was ram a tax hike down the throats of the poor and middle class...only THIS time, they tried to disguise it as Obamacare. Well, except when Obamacare had to be argued in front of the Supreme Court. When the lawyers defended Obamacare to them, they called it a tax increase. Then Obama immediately turns around to the public and says its not a tax increase. But that's the core of Obamacare, its basically a tax hike on the poor with an exemption if you have healthcare. The voters weren't fooled. They understood what Obamacare really was, and handed the republicans another landslide win in 2010, giving the GOP the House back and they've never lost it since. The rest of the platform was a bunch of broken promises.

So here's what's in store for Canada. Surprise! The middle class tax cut will get trashed. FIRST THING will be ramming a tax hike down the throats of the poor and middle class Canadians. Feel free to bump this post when it happens. I'm sure they will have some "clever" way of disguising it or make an attempt to deflect criticism and shout down opposition (maybe through guilt or something). But The poor and middle class will get hammered with a new tax. Make no mistake. If they only do ONE thing, it will be that.

Remember, the left is nothing but broken promises and tax hikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you've grossly misrepresented what happened in the United States, as a way to push forward your prediction of what Trudeau will do in office?

Let me guess, you're from Alberta, aren't you?

Pretty sure they'll tax the rich. I'm curious to see if the Canadian rich will leave the country.

We have a similar situation in the US.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadians are, generally speaking, not scared of taxes. A lot of us still think we'd have been better off keeping the GST and using it to pay down our national debt (which is already relatively low, nationally speaking). There's pretty much zero reason to expect the Liberals to abandon their goal of increasing tax rates for corporations and the wealthy. If they determine they need to raise taxes more broadly, there'll be justifiable reasons.

Because that's another thing; Canadians understand that things change over a candidate's term in office, and we expect them to adapt, not blindly try to stick to outdated goals despite the negative consequences.

This whole post just smacks of pretending that Canada is the USA and that Canadians will irrationally take up the "no taxes" mantra of a tiny minority of small-government libertarians in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Pretty sure they'll tax the rich. I'm curious to see if the Canadian rich will leave the country.

We have a similar situation in the US.
    They always threaten to do it, but I think it's all bluster.
    It's like when you tell a child that they have to finish all their vegetables or they can't leave the table, and they tell you that they don't love you anymore. It's intended to make you feel bad, and just give in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People keep saying this, and it pretty much never happens, when taxes get hiked. If they were that concerned about their tax burden, they'd already have moved to the USA, which has a lower relative burden. And that's ignoring the fact that we're assuming they don't largely do their business in the Canadian market, since they can't just move that market.

Alternatively, it's like all the Americans who insisted they were gonna leave if Obama got elected. Or re-elected.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you really mean is, you want bad stuff to happen just to tell liberals and democrats "SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!" Not an actual interest in caring.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It's bad enough I got people telling me how I apparently think, don't need crazy Americans telling us what's up lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If they determine they need to raise taxes more broadly, there'll be justifiable reasons.
    Hell of a tautology, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    How do you think Americans feel when a bunch of homogeneous, milquetoast countries full of subjects tell us gun rights should be handled?
    I said crazy Americans Smart people criticisms are still on the table

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you think Americans feel when a bunch of homogeneous, milquetoast countries full of subjects tell us gun rights should be handled?
    Well they're kind of not wrong. Yeah Tax loopholes should be shut but it doesn't mean we shouldn't tax the super rich.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Threatening to tax the rich whilst leaving every loophole available to only those who constitute as 'rich' to reduce your tax burden is pathetically ineffective and only results in those who are borderline in the upper middle class finding it harder to run a small business whilst the wealthiest 1% continue to pay next to nothing on their millions and a pittance in capital gains.
    https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/en...ir-tax-breaks/

Ending those loopholes is explicitly part of the Liberal platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread on predictions for Trudeau's administration.

Summary:

1. The left will push a tax hike on the poor and middle class.
    2. Apologists will do some combination of defending the hike, deflecting to how much it will help / maybe a tax on the rich as well / how evil the right is.
    3. Polls will sour quickly.
    4. Voters will give the right a big win in the next election.

I remember 1993. Bill Clinton entered the White House with a laundry list like that and control of both houses of congress. First thing he did was throw out the middle class tax cut and instead raise taxes on the poor and middle class. Clinton rammed that bill through congress and THAT led to the republicans winning in a landslide in 1994 and taking control of the House for the first time in 40 years.

I remember 2008. Obama entered the White House with a laundry list of ideas and control of both houses of congress. First thing he did was ram a tax hike down the throats of the poor and middle class...only THIS time, they tried to disguise it as Obamacare. Well, except when Obamacare had to be argued in front of the Supreme Court. When the lawyers defended Obamacare to them, they called it a tax increase. Then Obama immediately turns around to the public and says its not a tax increase. But that's the core of Obamacare, its basically a tax hike on the poor with an exemption if you have healthcare. The voters weren't fooled. They understood what Obamacare really was, and handed the republicans another landslide win in 2010, giving the GOP the House back and they've never lost it since. The rest of the platform was a bunch of broken promises.

So here's what's in store for Canada. Surprise! The middle class tax cut will get trashed. FIRST THING will be ramming a tax hike down the throats of the poor and middle class Canadians. Feel free to bump this post when it happens. I'm sure they will have some "clever" way of disguising it or make an attempt to deflect criticism and shout down opposition (maybe through guilt or something). But The poor and middle class will get hammered with a new tax. Make no mistake. If they only do ONE thing, it will be that.

Remember, the left is nothing but broken promises and tax hikes.
    Well the generous corporate masters of the right failed to trickle anything down to me for the last 4 years. Of the last 4 years maybe one of those years the"Cost of living" raise my employer gave me matched CPI inflation. So none of these trickle down corporate tax breaks seem to be working as promised either.

Maybe we just capitalismed wrong. Maybe we should have prayed harder to the God Blessed Almighty Stephen Harper, and then god would have inspired our employers to trickle down more.

Because trickle down. and Right wingers are so fucking smart. I wish I wasn't stupid I wish I was super smart guy like you. I'd love to sit there like you with my mouth open and play corporate cum dumpster.

Because adjusted to the almighty US style right wing bullshit my wages went down against the cost of living during Stephen Harper's time as prime minister. Everybodies did... well... not everybodies. Maybe if you open your corporate-snowball receptacle mouth wide enough they'll share a little something with you too. (probably not money though).

Just look at the Census data for Stephen Harper's time in office. The median household income has lost 10% of it's value to inflation. And unemployment remains unchanged in that same period. So the rights strategy didn't do shit.

That's the data, that's the fucking evidence. THE EVIDENCE UNQUESTIONABLY SHOWS that whatever Stephen Harper did, amounted to absolutely nothing good (in fact bad) for the average Canadian.

So quit spreading retarded misinformation.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2015-10-22 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Hell of a tautology, that.
    I was responding to someone who was complaining that they might rethink their positions in a few years and come to different conclusions, based on the new context. A tautological response is all it deserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll believe it when it happens. Promises from a politician are like the space between the electron orbitals and nucleus: EMPTY.
    US politicians? Sure, that's fair. Canada Politicians? I Dunno.

Warrior-Magi

Wasn't defending the loopholes at all, see my earlier post
    Those on the left side of things make a lot of overtures about taxing the rich but fail to close their loopholes whilst elevating the middle class into a 'wealthy' tax bracket and reaming them even worse than before.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll believe it when it happens. Promises from a politician are like the space between the electron orbitals and nucleus: EMPTY.
    He already lived up to one promise by immediately committing to the Withdrawal of Canadian air strikes in Syria. So far so good.

And there are quantum fluctuations between the electrons and the nucleus. Short lived quart/antiquark couples that come in and out of existence due to the forces acting on the electron shell.

All politicians.

Not exactly a hard sell there. Americans have wanted US airstrikes to stop long ago, our politicians insist on 'spreading democracy' despite our protests
    What protests?

I don't see a single American in the streets raising hell to try and stop the US government. Slacktivism doesn't work.

Yeah stopping air strikes is a fuckin' lay-up. Can't stop ISIS without boots on the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What protests?

I don't see a single American in the streets raising hell to try and stop the US government. Slacktivism doesn't work.
    We need to protest in the streets to somehow change the government? That's the arbitrary standard?

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Yeah stopping air strikes is a fuckin' lay-up. Can't stop ISIS without boots on the ground.
    Al Qaeda was trained by the CIA under Reagan to make the USSR's life difficult in it's middle east dealings. They wouldn't exist without western interference in the middle east.
    Saddam Hussein, again, the US made him.

ISIS, the Syrian "rebels" that the west was arming. And that enabled them to make a gigantic power grab. Another creation of western interference.

Anybody who thinks continued military intervention int he middle east by the west is going to lead to anything good has to be either be really stupid, or willfully ignorant.