Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Student playing 'touch the truck' game dies after getting ran over

http://www.wave3.com/story/30115600/...y-semi-trailer

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A 15-year-old boy who was run over by the trailer portion of a semi on Sept. 17 was playing a "touch the truck" game when he lost his balance and fell into the path of the vehicle, Louisville Metro Police Officer Raymond Sutherland said.

Fifteen-year-old Jaylyn Edmonds was walking to his bus stop at 28th and Dumesnil when the accident happened.

Jaylyn Edmonds, 15, made it a point to walk his two younger siblings and cousin every day to catch the bus. September 17th was no exception.

This is what cousin Layla Griggs remembers about that day. “He ran up to the truck and touched it and then his pant leg got caught in the wheel and the thing just ran down his body,” Griggs said. “I looked at her and when I looked back, he was on the ground and we just started crying.”

WAVE 3 News sat down with Edmonds' family not long after the accident. The idea of playing a game was never brought up. The family was devastated over what appeared to be a hit and run.

After a LMPD investigation, Officer Raymond Sutherland said the driver did not intentionally leave the scene.

“There is no intent to leave the scene, he had no clue that he actually struck somebody,” Sutherland said.

Police say they believe the driver. They were able to locate him after witnesses identified the trucking company as M & M Cartage.

Police say Edmonds was playing a game of trying to touch the truck. “In the process of doing that he either lost his balance or the rear tires of the trailer actually ran over him,” Sutherland said.

Truck drivers told detectives, this isn't the first time they've heard of it.

“They said well they play this game all the time and it is an offset intersection and it's very dangerous,” Sutherland said.

Neighbor Eden Henderson says while she didn't see this accident, she has witnessed something similar.

“It's dangerous for them to do that,” Henderson said. “I saw one little boy jumped up on the back of the truck and jumped off the truck. Now he could have gotten hurt, he could have fell out of the truck,” Henderson said.

[PREVIOUS STORY: Truck driver who hit teen not at fault, police say]

The Pleasure Ridge Park High School student was taken to a hospital and placed in a medically induced coma. He remains in the Intensive Care Unit at University of Louisville Hospital.

Police said a witness told them about Edmonds playing around just before he was run over.

What is wrong with people? Has anyone ever heard of this game before? I thought kids my generation where stupid for laying in the middle of the road on the center lane and getting ran over

I've never heard of this game. Not sure if this is the end of result of a stupid kid, bad parenting or a combination of both.

Obviously the driver's fault. Stop victim blaming, people!
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

15+ Year Old Account
    Natural selection is still going strong.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

The competition for this year's Darwin Award is heating up!

Some people don't have the intelligence to make it far in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    An idiot died, oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Darwinism!

10+ Year Old Account
    People do stupid things because they don't believe anything bad will happen to them. Is this a tragedy? Sure. Could it have been prevented? Absolutely.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

How is this not a story from Florida? Am I the only one surprised by that?

I invented a new game called "catch the bullet" where kids find their parents unsecured firearms, and shoot at each other till someone "catches the bullet".

Think it will catch on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    I invented a new game called "catch the bullet" where kids find their parents unsecured firearms, and shoot at each other till someone "catches the bullet".

Think it will catch on?
    Oh it's already catching on. In fact its a big hit with toddlers in the US.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

15+ Year Old Account
    Kids to stupid things like diving into shallow water whatnot but this is on a level beyond that.
    Feel bad for the family and the driver :/
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

According to the article you just posted, he isn't dead. But this was a month ago, is there some update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Did the kid die? The end of the article indicates that he's alive, but in a coma.

Deleted
    In this case, I blame the police if they were aware kids were doing this, it's not common as I never heard of the game.

Kinda the parents fault for not teacher their children about dangerous things.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    According to the article you just posted, he isn't dead. But this was a month ago, is there some update?
    Here is the cutoff for the people who read the story and those who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Natural selection is still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    The competition for this year's Darwin Award is heating up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Thanks Darwinism!
    So many people beat me to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Kinda the parents fault for not teacher their children about dangerous things.
    You'd think they'd have learned this by 15, taught by parents or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Here is the cutoff for the people who read the story and those who didn't.
    I read it, but because it was a direct copy paste, it had the link to a different story, and I misinterpreted the text below that to be referring to that story and ignored it. Damned people not editing pointless shit out of their quotes.

Seen it a few times.