Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Historically the former, moving towards the latter.

Well calling it a "melting pot" is racist now. The PC term is mosaic because no one integrates anymore and that's pretty much whats wrong today.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Melting pot...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    my experience it's more a salad bowl. no one claims they are American, its always german, or chinese or hispanic, or somali people here expect others to adapt to them, they don't adapt to others
    My dad actually gets really annoyed at being called an indo-canadian. He usually says "How long do I have to live here to be just a canadian?" or "Where the fuck is indo-canada?"

Both. Second- or third-generation Americans melt fairly seamlessly into American culture, but a steady influx of first-generation immigrants ensures that ethnic neighborhoods remain (though the ethnicity they represent changes, obviously.) A major theme of immigration to America is that they're looking to escape a bad situation at home, whether it's the Irish fleeing a famine in the 1840s, the Italians fleeing war in the 1870s, or Africans fleeing persecution in the 1990s.

If I have to pick one I'd definitely choose melting pot.

But in reality of course it is both, with China Town and all that more salad than a melting pot. But then again there are many Chinese people who stopped being a tomato and started melting in the pot too. But just reading about famous people on Wikipedia shows how true the melting pot thing is, though. Some examples:

- Obama, son of an African of Muslim heritage and a mother with mostly English and some Irish ancestry now married into an African American family descendant from American slaves. Melting pot.

- George W Bush has "English and some German ancestry, along with more distant Dutch, Welsh, Irish, French, and Scottish roots".

Remember how pissed and crazy people were over the mass immigration of Irish people? Oh right, you were all not close to being alive back then. Melting pot. OK let's look at something other than a President, how about..

- The Rock. Son of a Black Canadian and a Samoan mother who has one child with a Hispanic woman.

- Keanu Reeves. Son of an English woman and a father of Native Hawaiian, Chinese, English and Portuguese ancestry.

So definitely melting pot.

melting pot but at a very low heat

Deleted
    america is like Andromeda... I hear a lot of it but nothing really reaches my basement. I hear they have a bomb that will annihilate millions of people at once... So I have to beg for some random gods for help.

Melting pot. Most people bring some of their culture, but it melts into traditional American stuff.
    X

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    melting pot but at a very low heat
    That... that's pretty accurate imo.

At one time, a melting pot. Now, a salad bowl. Each new group or culture adds something to this crazy jumbled cuisine called the US. We celebrate the differences among us, but also the fusion of cultures and flavors that add to the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've found myself thinking that living in the United States is like living in a bowl of granola. What ain't fruits or nuts, is flakes.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

1st generation immigrants are salad bowl types, they make an effort to assimilate but it's really hard for adults to change. But their kids are like 99% American, they like American things and sound American so 2cd generation + are melting pot types.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'd say it depends on where you are, and who is in the majority. Overall, I'd say melting pot. We don't seem to have the same problems as Europe in the regard, I assume because we never really had a homogenous population.

I think of the United States like a chocolate fondue. Imagine the US as the chocolate, and everyone is a different fruit or treat that you dip in it, becoming enveloped by the US, but still recognize your culture.

Americans, we are clearly marshmallows dipped in the chocolate fondue.
    Other countries might be apples, or bananas, or strawberries... anything really.

The point is, we are a melting chocolate fondue pot.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by I am me not you View Post
    Which one of these two well-known metaphors best reflects Americal society and culture? A melting pot or a salad bowl? How much cultural assimilaiton is there?
    What country in the world is more culturally assimilated than the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

USA is a melted gooey tossed salad

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emageht Tsoluoy View Post
    USA is a melted gooey tossed salad
    Please wash your hands before posting.

Not much assimilation. USA seems very divided right now, especially by race, among other things.

Multiculturalism is a disease and a failure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskendereya View Post
    Not much assimilation. USA seems very divided right now, especially by race, among other things.

Multiculturalism is a disease and a failure.
    Well, at most there are only 2 major cultures and languages on North America. Compared to the myriad of cultures and languages on Europe, Africa, Asia. Also there is less white guilt in the US, so I would say it is more secure in its own Western and English speaking roots, where as Europeans are more timid of affirming their own culture.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-10-24 at 01:39 AM.