Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    I will not deny the similarities in the arguments, but comparing the extreme dysmorphia situations, such as blinding yourself, only ever happens in situations calling trans people "insane", or some form like that despite study after study showing that 90%+ of people who go through the process have a greatly improved quality of life.
    Well no, actually if you read about people with BIID, the general commentary is that they're otherwise perfectly sane and logical.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ef=online-news

So by your own statement there, why is it beyond belief, given this study, that trans people actually can have a brain that is formed more towards the sex they are driven towards. Would explain a lot with the simple act of hormone switching fixes the mental issues in some, including myself. Intersexed people are very well known, so why is this not another possible outcome of nature being funky?
    There's a few problems I have with this, the first of which is that we don't see what I think would be a proper control. For example, we know that people who have a tendency to stretch the truth moreso than the typical person -- especially pathological liars -- tend to have more developed white matter (indeed, some people associate a lot of psychological problems with it, more on that here.) Given that few people have this condition, I don't think a sample of 19 normal people is good enough, they should be looking for a broader dataset, especially to include people that have related problems (such as BIID.) (As a side note, I am NOT comparing trans people with pathological liars, rather I'm pointing out that there's more to the white matter story than meets the eye.)

Another issue is noted in the last paragraph:

Guillamon thinks such scans may not help in all cases. “Research has shown that white matter matures during the first 20 to 30 years of life,” he says. “People may experience early or late onset of transsexuality and we don’t know what causes this difference.”
    It is required for life to continue,
    Not exactly. It's one of the fundamental components of how modern science defines something as living:

1. Homeostasis
    2. Organization
    3. Metabolism
    4. Growth
    5. Adaptation
    6. Response to stimuli
    7. Reproduction

but it is not essential for a single life to be happy.
    True, but neither is having legs.

A lot of surgeries are horrifying to me, but I don't complain about them continuing because they aren't really bringing harm to the individual from their perspective, so what ever. "If you aren't harming others, do what ever" is generally my mindset on stuff. People are going to find ways to remove body parts they deem unwanted in some way or another, so why not just make sure it is a safe procedure until another way to treat the mindset is found?
    In my opinion, it falls afoul of the Hippocratic Oath.

Did you know you can have parts of your jaw removed for cosmetic reasons? *The more you know*
    I didn't know that, but it doesn't sound like the whole jaw is being removed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveLaVie View Post
    People should be able to speak their mind atleast
    This is absolutely true.

As long as they're not actively oppressing someone or presenting a threat to their health, I say allow scumbags to say their scumbag shit. Otherwise, how would we know they are scumbags? Not to mention that they will feel validated when their opinions are being silenced.

Besides, whenever bigots spew their daft garbage, the rest of us can call them out on it. And then call them out on their hypocrisy when they complain about us telling them they're douchebags.

And just to clarify, I'm not saying she's a scumbag or bigot, this was in a more general sense. I disagree with her, though. Because I don't give a shit nor can understand why people care about whether others refer to themselves as a man or as a woman.