Question a different tipping question: why percentage?

we all know that there's different ideas of tipping in different countries, often more to do with minimum wages rather than culturally (but not always), and it generally makes sense that if their employers are legally obligated to pay them a high enough wage to not be dependant on tips then tipping should either be lower or, depending on quality of service (or if against the law or restaurant policy), nothing

but whenever tips are given, for whatever reason, everyone always seems to calculate them by percentage of the bill. it doesn't take a waiter any more effort to write down and deliver a £10 meal than a £5 one (one might be very slightly heavier or more awkward to carry, but even then it's not necessarily the more expensive one), maybe it takes the cooking staff more effort but do they even get a share of the tips? the size of the bill has very little correlation with the amount of work the waiter needs to do, it's perfectly possible to have a high bill with a waiter who's had to do very little and a much lower bill with a waiter who's worked much harder
    granted you can add some extra if you think it's too low for how hard they've worked, how friendly they've been, etc but it's always initially calculated from a percentage. just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense really

So this is how this thread is going to go. The people not from America will come in and tell you that tipping is stupid and that employers should pay americans a decent wage instead of relying on tips for servers and delivery people. The American's are going to come in here and be undecided. Probably half of them will say the same as the foreigners and say that they don't tip. the others will argue that the latter half should put themselves in the position of the server or the delivery driver and they deserve the tip for doing their job. Some will also say they only tip if the service is exceptional and not just because they did something like drive across town to bring them their pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So this is how this thread is going to go....
    Just to deflect briefly, before your prediction comes true, a lot of places around my area are starting to tip pool and the cooks are included. So, that $26 entree maybe involved 8 people from scratch to table, but that $8 sandwich maybe involved two. In that scenario, % tipping makes sense.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Just to deflect briefly, before your prediction comes true, a lot of places around my area are starting to tip pool and the cooks are included. So, that $26 entree maybe involved 8 people from scratch to table, but that $8 sandwich maybe involved two. In that scenario, % tipping makes sense.
    Oh I always tip. If I can't afford to tip I generally don't eat out.

I never understood it either. I generally tip whatever I feel like. Usually to round it up to an even number. I also usually go by the rule of "if they were crap, they get nothing", which isn't apparently normal in America, which is where I live. Who knows why they % base it. Maybe to stroke their ego and go "look how much I tipped them!"
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

As poster #2 has stated with the two groups, let me start being the former...

Mandatory tipping, automatically added to the bill, should be abolished... and as such have their employers raise the pay. If this means raised food prices then so be it. If I enjoyed the services I generally would add a tip, voluntarily. Generally 5 euros per head when out for a proper meal at a restaurant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the servers base pay is determined by the average cost per plate and the assumed tip therein. Stupid, but that's where we are with tipping.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    As poster #2 has stated with the two groups, let me start being the former...

Mandatory tipping, automatically added to the bill, should be abolished... and as such have their employers raise the pay. If this means raised food prices then so be it. If I enjoyed the services I generally would add a tip, voluntarily. Generally 5 euros per head when out for a proper meal at a restaurant.
    Mandatory gratuities for a large party or other extraneous circumstances are fine. By default I'll agree that's an issue unless the restaurant is popular enough that it doesn't deter business.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't really need a set %.

Have a base tipping amount set even in the event of bad service, and have it on a curve. The better the service, the higher the tip from the base.

You'll either get a solid 15%, or an additional 20$ if i'm well off.

Most cases it's somewhere in-between.

10+ Year Old Account
    tipping around here is now 20%.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    tipping around here is now 20%.
    Around here, it's double the sales tax at minimum, otherwise you're a douche. So yeah, about 18% minimum.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Presumably because the people who can pay more to eat, can pay more to tip. But ultimately, it's nonsense. I don't agree with the mandatory tip model, and I think percentage-based tipping is the worst iteration of it. When I do tip, I typically just round up the expense.

I often wonder if tipping doesn't hurt the traditional American restaurant, you know the kind who serve eggs bacon and coffee for breakfast, maybe they do lunch. They already are pricey for that kind of food, add in a tip and you could be paying $10 for a meal that's not fast food. I know I avoid places because I have to tip. If I do tip the restaurant has food worth tipping.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    sometimes i don't go out to eat just because i know i have to pay the tip and think nah i'll just go the grocery store and buy something to eat instead.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Tipping is one of the reasons I doubt I'd ever go to America. Too much effort when I'd be trying to enjoy a holiday.

10+ Year Old Account
    10% is the usual rate that I abide by, if I have some exceptional service or mood, then I'll toss a bit more.

I don't usually eat at places that calculate tips. I hate tipping, I would prefer a robot delivered me my food honestly. In my opinion tipping is outdated and has become too commercialized.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2015-10-24 at 08:27 AM.

Tipping is a way for the restaurants to not pay normal wages.