Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Besides from the income and living rent free with parents, that pretty much sums me up from 16-24.

Sure as hell doesn't now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Subjective your honor!
    If you object to that you deserve to have a judge smack you over the head with a gavel :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

After looking up what "YouGov" is all about I'm going to have to call schenannigans on this whole thing.

They don't conduct scientifically valid research. They offer surveys in exchange for "rewards".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    The article mentions the study but doesn't link to the study. That alone is worth suspicion toward it's validity.
    It's a legit website. No need to question it because it's against what you believe.
    I found the study easily enough

But who are the people that are driving this demand? And do they match the gamer stereotypes of withdrawn, ‘nerdy’ teenagers living in a darkened room at their parents’ house?

YouGov Profiles data provides the answer.

Firstly, when compared to the population as a whole gamers are indeed more likely to be male, aged 16-24 and single. Ownership gradually reduces as age rises.

Considering their living arrangements, they lean towards staying rent-free with parents, family or friends. This may be no surprise, as they are in the C2DE social grade and have a gross personal income of under £5,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You're one person and the gaming community is millions. How do you disprove the study?
    Thats the thing we are all just one person, so thats why I don't really listen to studies on this kinda thing. Not trying to disprove anything, just sharing that I am one of many that doesn't fit the OP's study, and I am sure there are millions of others like me too. /shrug.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a legit website. No need to question it because it's against what you believe.
    Then show us its a legit website

10+ Year Old Account
    Even legit websites make faulty studies. Still think it's bullshit.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

https://yougov.co.uk/account/faq/

That's who did the survey.

One of those websites that offers to pay people for taking surveys.

News Flash: People with no job fall for "pay for survey" website.

This part is relevant when a lot of gamers try to portray themselves as being a millionaire ladies men.
    Can't say I've seen many who do that. But even if there are:
    You're one person and the gaming community is millions.

At least try to not apply it selectively.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2015-10-24 at 11:24 PM.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Wrong. Most gamers are middle aged mothers with no work.

nope, been out on my own since 17, would hate to live with parents

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's see, I'm 26, I have my own apartment, a steady job, a girlfriend, and I practice Jiu Jitsu, as well as play magic a couple times a week, have a D&D group, and sometimes go to the gun range. Oh, and I'm a gamer, and occasionally watch Sci-fi or fantasy movies/shows (my gf got me into watching Once Upon A Time, such a good show...), and I raid semi-casually 6 hours a week, and am 12/13 heroic.

So... who's the "no-lifer"? The ones trying to stereotype gamers, or the gamers who maintain a healthy social life due to their geekyness/gaming?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Warrior View Post
    Wrong. Most gamers are middle aged mothers with no work.
    I think that refers to the casual WoW playerbase not gamers en large.

You're not allowed to disagree, you misogynists.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

The fact that this sort of shit is still implied as being some sort of problem is a much bigger sign of what's wrong with a different portion of society.

You know... The ones that like force their views about what others do, how they do it, who they are, etc.

And as already mentioned, actual proper studies paint a much different picture.

I repeat. YouGov does not do random sample surveying. They might take a random sample of their subscribers, but because they offer the potential for a ridiculously small paycheck their survey base from which their sample is taken does not reflect an accurate breakdown of the general population. And thus the results of their polls are not worth jack shit.

I think that refers to the casual WoW playerbase not gamers en large.
    Nope. The ESA showed that most gamers are actually female.

https://yougov.co.uk/account/faq/

That's who did the survey.

One of those websites that offers to pay people for taking surveys.

News Flash: People with no job fall for "pay for survey" website.
    Well, their validity aside, after looking for gamer in their searchbar I got the "Male, single and geeky - the profile of a gamer" article from 16th of October, which I assume is the source. But upon clicking on the link (https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/10/16...profile-gamer/) I get error 404...

7+ Year Old Account
    I repeat. YouGov does not do random sample surveying. They might take a random sample of their subscribers, but because they offer the potential for a ridiculously small paycheck their survey base from which their sample is taken does not reflect an accurate breakdown of the general population. And thus the results of their polls are not worth jack shit.
    Spot on there
    You should have put /end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Nope. The ESA showed that most gamers are actually female.
    European Space Agency? Oo