Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If all major game developers in the world united and made...

An open world star wars game, do you think it would work?

Say

Zenimax And Bethesda
    Blizzard
    Ubisoft
    Sega and Games Workshop
    EA and all their underlings such as Bioware
    Platinum
    Nintendo

and possibly more united and made on goal to make an open world Star wars game that included every single planet either seen or atleast mentioned in the galaxy that you could go visit. Be whatever you want to be. Play any race you want to be. Want to be a Hutt Smuggler? Go ahead. Want to be a Weequay crimelord, Sure! Obviously they're sitting on good over 1000 developers now. And most important rule of all; If Sega, EA or Ubisoft tries any DLC bullshit they'll be kicked out of the development while their underlings can stay.

Image the engine these people could make, the ultimate engine that is so goodly optimised you can run it on ultra with 1 ram.
    So much content that even the most extreme speedrunners uses a month MINIMUM to complete everything in the game.
    If this happened we could have the best game of all time.

Deleted
    Too many cooks.

No, because those companies have too different views on what makes a "good game". It'd end up like most committee decisions: nobody is happy, everybody is frustrated and the end product is worse than if one party had just gone and done it on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Too many cooks.
    This. The very first problem would be - somehow getting the twenty+ develops the OP just listed to cooperate - would be you have so many different minds on the project that it would essentially become a mish mash of different visions.

Why would you have some of the top developers in the world work on an existing IP is my question.

Deleted
    They would literally produce nothing, the amount of logistic such a massive and diverse workforce (different core values, different company culture and such) would require such high amount of corporate organization that they will probably start producing something 10 years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overmind View Post
    An open world star wars game, do you think it would work?

Say

Zenimax And Bethesda
    Blizzard
    Ubisoft
    Sega and Games Workshop
    EA and all their underlings such as Bioware
    Platinum
    Nintendo

and possibly more united and made on goal to make an open world Star wars game that included every single planet either seen or atleast mentioned in the galaxy that you could go visit. Be whatever you want to be. Play any race you want to be. Want to be a Hutt Smuggler? Go ahead. Want to be a Weequay crimelord, Sure! Obviously they're sitting on good over 1000 developers now. And most important rule of all; If Sega, EA or Ubisoft tries any DLC bullshit they'll be kicked out of the development while their underlings can stay.

Image the engine these people could make, the ultimate engine that is so goodly optimised you can run it on ultra with 1 ram.
    So much content that even the most extreme speedrunners uses a month MINIMUM to complete everything in the game.
    Basically what Felfury and Butler covered, but also... I do not understand all the excessive hatred DLC gets. Most people jokingly refer to DLC as 'missing chunks of the game that people wanted to monotize' but time and time again, that really isn't the case. There are plenty of companies and groups, including the ones you mention above as some sort of evil villains, that do legitimately great jobs with their DLC. Your hatred for EA/Ubisoft DLC... Well, you played Mass Effect right? You played their DLCs, right? Please tell me that wasn't worth a measily ten dollar investment.

We could make the same discussion about Bethesda and Fallout. DLC keeps games alive and fresh. It is both a good thing for developers and for gamers alike. However... what we need to target as a community are those who make cheap-shit games (Looking at you, Order, and your 4 hour game BS), or intentionally price gouge with their DLC (20 dollars for a weapon that has a different color scheme, comon now).

Overall though, if we wanted all game developers to unite on something, it would be on establishing expectations and boundaries of deliveries amongst the market as a whole. DLC is going to be a continuous thing in the future, but that isn't a bad thing if the effort and investment is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

I'd rather see them come up with something entirely new. They could essentially truly create a game with multiple genres of gameplay options in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you have all game developers together and you want to make a Starwars RPG? Many of which already exist? I am disappointed. Also how much would this game cost at retail? 1000$?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like it would be a disaster. With so many developers in the mix, it feels like the only thing they would be able to agree on is $$$. So it would probably catered in every possible way to sucking out the $$$$$$$$$$

You would need some seriously skilled leaders to path that mess.
    yeah the logistics would be a nightmare.

Honestly a star wars mmo done right would blow every other game out of the market, but swtor gets a 5/100 in my opinion, and all 5 of those points residing from class story lines.

It wouldn't matter. People would still find everything to complain about and blame lazy developers for not listening their "opinion".

Quote Originally Posted by The Overmind View Post
    Hmmmm no. They all have their styles and they do not necessarily overlap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many cooks, as stated before.

Often when working with creative media, simply throwing more people at it doesn't equal a better product.

Too many cooks.
    My exact thought when I just saw the thread title. It'd be better to have one solid developer with permission from the major companies to use their tech to develop the game, so No Man's Sky world builder, developer X's character models, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I feel like it would be a disaster. With so many developers in the mix, it feels like the only thing they would be able to agree on is $$$. So it would probably catered in every possible way to sucking out the $$$$$$$$$$
    This raises another point, With all of those studios working on the project, their budget would break billions. They'd have to make more money than even the highest grossing films of all time to even as much as break even, let alone profit.

Too many cooks.
    Pretty much.

Blizzard has a massive development team and operates sluggishly compared to some small developers.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

No. The issue is not development, number of developers or the quality of developers. It's money and time.

Making games costs a lot of money and takes time. The more time spent making a game, the more money it costs making a game; which eats into potential profit.

Having a staff of even 100 developers is a ton of money for a 2-3+ year project. An Star Wars game made with those development houses, with the Star Wars license and the marketing required; this game would have to be the biggest hit of all time.

You are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. And plan for at a minimum half as much spent on marketing as development.

This is a dream and nothing more.

No way it would work out - too many differences between the studios. Also why Star Wars?

If you put it down in a more reasonable way, like "the top devs from each company make a dedicated team on a very big project" it may turn out to be something, but again way too many differences in style and baseline choices would turn this into a nightmare project.

Not counting he fact that even if they are able to pull out thins thing, it's not a 100% guaranteed awesome product; you will always have critics about the game, people who simply don't like the environment/them/playstyle/whatever and it would just turn out like any other game, maybe of very good quality, but no different from the rest.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    that game would suck as each of those companies are known and specialize in diff games

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about Bethesda's team size, but they take their goddam time on a game to make it big and fun (minus all the bugs that are common in games of that size)

EA working with them would be cray as a yearly release would be needed.

Nintendo would want the main character to be a cute squid, with Sega wanting it to be super fast, but Ubi would want it to be some white dude with a stubble who does acrobatics

Platimum would want the game to be hack and slash while Bioware would want a lot more RPG elements and will battle the Bethesda team for days on the dialog.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2015-10-27 at 12:20 PM.