Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to Defeat One's Inner Grammar Nazi?

Okay, a basic explanation is in order. See, as most thing in this life do, the situation starts with a girl. I really like her, and she hasn't done the best job in the world of hiding that she feels the same.

The only problem is that I'm an extreme Grammar Nazi. As an aspiring author, even looking at a poor spelling or bad grammar is almost unbearable. And this girl just happens to have a learning disorder that severely impacts her ability to write. Basically, her texts are my worst nightmare. And, like all people of my generation, that is our main form of communication.

And so, we come to my question. How can I train myself to not mind her writing? Have any of you good folk run into a similar conflict (doesn't have to be the same pet peeve)? If so, how did you overcome it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    "All of Time and Space. Everything that ever was or ever will be. Where do you want to start?"

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Iy wud nod tryh toh lok ohn grammarz tzhis mutsch.

You just have to ignore it as long as you can understand what she wants from you.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2015-10-26 at 11:54 PM.

yougot to read enuf of proor grammar and get over with it ^^

Wrote it just for you !

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Iy wud nod tryh toh lok ohn grammarz tzhis mutsch.
    It's funny how badly it's possible to write, but it still being readable, if people try
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suppress the grammar nazi by imaging the prize (tits).

10+ Year Old Account
    ...You have no idea how much I twitched with those two.

Also, I know that not everyone is me. No way in the Seven Hells I would want that for this poor world, which has already suffered far too much. I just... can't stand bad grammar. It's a physical reaction when it's particularly bad.
    Last edited by Warcrafting; 2015-10-26 at 11:55 PM.
    "All of Time and Space. Everything that ever was or ever will be. Where do you want to start?"

Deleted
    Is dyslexia enough to outweigh every positive about this person?

Don't defeat it - let it run rampant. Surround yourself with people that share your fury!

But seriously, learn to let things slide. This drives me nuts too, but some people just don't really care and are basically decent folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Is dyslexia enough to outweigh every positive about this person?
    Well, no. But it's really, really irritating. And the reason I'm asking how I can change is because I know that the poor grammar is not her fault.

15+ Year Old Account
    As I've understood it people mostly dislike poor grammar because they think it's lazy or uneducated, but you know she has a learning disorder, so why care?

I don't know, I can't really empathize with this, I don't understand the reasoning behind your reaction. Just get over it I guess, and keep it to yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafting View Post
    Well, no. But it's really, really irritating. And the reason I'm asking how I can change is because I know that the poor grammar is not her fault.
    At the end of the day, the intent of the message is what is important. To change, you just need to accept that literacy does not come easily to her, unlike yourself. She likely has talents you do not possess, as well.

don't care. see? that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually get uncontrollable twitches from bad typing, but in the cases where I'm aware of someone's dyslexia or other illnesses that can affect it I guess it creates enough of an excuse in my head for me to subconsciously forgive it.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, seems like we're in the same boat. Minus a girl on my side.
    In all honesty, trying to cope with the problem of others may be your only solution. I have a little sister, maybe not as bright as you'd hope for, and have no learning issues what so ever, but she types like an old typewriter from the 1950's plugged with electricity: fast as hell, as if she had burned most of the letters on her typewriter.

In short, to defeat the Grammar Nazi, you must become the Grammar Nazi's worst enemy: The opposite of a Grammar Nazi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I usually get uncontrollable twitches from bad typing, but in the cases where I'm aware of someone's dyslexia or other illnesses that can affect it I guess it creates enough of an excuse in my head for me to subconsciously forgive it.
    I have a weird affinity for numbers. I have to see (as an example) the volume on the TV/radio/phone as an even number (2,4,6,etc.) or else my mind cracks up. Especially true at home, but whenever I visit someone, I have to hold it back. A punch in the ground outside usually helps for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    when you realize that you can actually understand the things she writtes to you and she really ment those things her writting wouldnt be such a deal IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you know she has a learning disorder, I'm unsure why you're letting it bother you. She has a legitimate reason, after all.
    Judging by his description it sounds like he has some kind of anxious response to it as I also do. It just deeply unsettles me to my core when I look at bad typing.

I'm just somehow able to minimise my internal response when I know it absolutely can't be helped or when I can tell that it is intentionally bad typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you know she has a learning disorder, I'm unsure why you're letting it bother you. She has a legitimate reason, after all.
    Yeah, this. As long as the information is conveyed it shouldn't be a problem. One way to get over it is to just start misspelling stuff yourself. It'll work better if it's as a joke among friends though and not intentionally misspelling serious conversations. Also don't do it with this girl as she might have a bit of a complex about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafting View Post
    ...You have no idea how much I twitched with those two.

Also, I know that not everyone is me. No way in the Seven Hells I would want that for this poor world, which has already suffered far too much. I just... can't stand bad grammar. It's a physical reaction when it's particularly bad.
    Get the hell over it, from one grammar nazi to another. Instead of focusing on her bad grammar, remember that there are adult professional writers who get money for their writing, and THOSE FUCKERS STILL MESS UP GRAMMAR SOMETIMES.

Focus your righteous anger on those who have no fucking excuse, and it will be easier to accept those who do.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    To put it simply, stop caring. If you understand what the person is trying to convey who cares how its spelled out.