Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    How dare Blizzard add people to my MMO world.....

I will never understand the mentality of people bitching about CRZ. If you don't want to see other people then don't play an MMO. It comes with the territory.

So no. If anything they should connect more. As big as WoW is there is no reason it should be as empty as it is at times. I am not asking for it to be packed at all times but more people is never bad for an MMO imo.

Deleted
    This would only work if current realms were all merged into 4-5 super servers, but that's unlikely to happen unfortunately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sure they can make "mistakes". But who is to decide objectively what a mistake is?

And is there even a way to revert that alleged mistake? Have you forgotten the shitstorm threads we had when flight was removed for such a long time in WoD? So what happens if LFG and LFR are removed? What if Blizzard say..fine..it was a mistake...we take those tools away. Suit yourselves.

Are there gonna be unicorns and manly love on this forum? Surely not. Because there will be guys just like you who are certain that now THAT is a mistake

Yeah..because everyone in the game was totally powerless to refuse the tools. Funny how nobody had a problem refusing voice chat because it was so shitty.

Blanket statement and anecdotal evidence. All I remember was "The guild over everything" Good for you if you had a server community and 100 folks on your friend list. For me it was: Be in a guild and raid or do things together. All about the guild. THAT is where you formed your groups. And in the guild there were tight knit groups. Officers. The MT and MH running with the best 3 dps.

Fuck, we ended with 3 Karazhan raid teams in TBC and they certainly were chosen by who knew whom, nepotism and all that shit.
    If something has got worse its fair to suggest that a mistake has been made. Unfortunately for your nonsense argument, the only people that can make changes are Blizzard.

You cannot blame the players for using the tools Blizzard implement. There's enough people talking about server communities and the loss of them to suggest there must be some truth in it. I saw it myself at the time and I still see it today on private servers running decent versions of the game.

If you think that people will take the most inconvenient route when a convenient alternate is offered and not use the Blizzard supplied tools you simply don't understand how the average gamer acts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This is based on what? I have never made as much gold as in WoD..what economy is ruined? How is a zone ruined? How can you speak so generally for every server?
    Cross realm zones have all the downsides of populated realms but none of the benefits.

Hanging out in goldshire waiting for PvP pops has made me recognize people, as well as become regonized on my priest. Kinda cool !

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    CRZ didn't kill community, LFG did.
    This. So your community instances should have no cross-realm LFG and no character transfer services.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    How dare Blizzard add people to my MMO world.....

I will never understand the mentality of people bitching about CRZ. If you don't want to see other people then don't play an MMO. It comes with the territory.

So no. If anything they should connect more. As big as WoW is there is no reason it should be as empty as it is at times. I am not asking for it to be packed at all times but more people is never bad for an MMO imo.
    The game offers no mechanical incentive to group with other players outside of PvP and instances.

-XP is split (yes, there's a group bonus, but given mob density and respawn rate your xp rate still goes down, and you need at least three to get the bonus at all).
    -Loot is split
    -Many quest objectives are not shared, which mandates waiting on respawns
    -No quest or mob is challenging enough to warrant a group; most don't live long enough to allow more than a couple attacks even when you're alone
    -Resource nodes are competitive, meaning if there are multiple people with the same gathering profession you're now competing with group mates

Now, you can argue that social reasons out-weigh these considerations. Then you add CRZ, so that:
    -The people you play with are complete strangers
    -Unless you go to great lengths, you're not likely to ever see them again
    -Increased anonymity means they are now more likely to try and just take everything for themselves; who cares if they're annoying, since they're not annoying people they'll ever see again?

All for the great nebulous benefit of "having more people in the zones".

The game's mechanics encourage players to play alone, and the people you see through CRZ might as well be NPCs for all the more meaning they'll have to you.

You don't understand the mentality of people bitching about CRZ; I"ve never understood the mentality that says "screw mechanics, screw logic, screw everything, THIS GAME IS AN MMO SO IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING WITH AT LEAST 50 OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES AND ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF THE HIVE MENTALITY YOU ARE AN UTTER FAILURE."

Edit: It should be blindingly obvious, but in case it's not, my capitalized statement at the end is hyperbole, an exaggeration meant to highlight why I find the mentality so puzzling and frustrating. Still, some people constantly point to the MMO portion of the game as an excuse to stuff as many people as possible into the zones, but never point to the RPG portion as an excuse to force people to read quest, role play, or do anything else that would be expected in a traditional RPG.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2015-10-28 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Dat server transfer cash doe...

I server transfer multiple times per minute without paying cash, well did until my token expired recently.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Not the cross realm fault, nor the realm itself. It's mostly the people on the realm if you feel the community feels closed in. I don't think we need more servers, we don't need new ones either, nor mega servers. I would rather see the merged server as one server without the phasing problems handling, and the cross realmed one to be assest for connection.

Even on heavy populated realms, you can feel like a stranger on the field.
    This exactly.
    Some realms thrived and attracted more players, while some did just the opposite.
    It was a community created entirely by the players themselves.
    This is another issue that players like to blame on blizzard, but again the players themselves are responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    The game offers no mechanical incentive to group with other players outside of PvP and instances.

-XP is split (yes, there's a group bonus, but given mob density and respawn rate your xp rate still goes down, and you need at least three to get the bonus at all).
    -Loot is split
    -Many quest objectives are not shared, which mandates waiting on respawns
    -No quest or mob is challenging enough to warrant a group; most don't live long enough to allow more than a couple attacks even when you're alone
    -Resource nodes are competitive, meaning if there are multiple people with the same gathering profession you're now competing with group mates

Now, you can argue that social reasons out-weigh these considerations. Then you add CRZ, so that:
    -The people you play with are complete strangers
    -Unless you go to great lengths, you're not likely to ever see them again
    -Increased anonymity means they are now more likely to try and just take everything for themselves; who cares if they're annoying, since they're not annoying people they'll ever see again?

All for the great nebulous benefit of "having more people in the zones".

The game's mechanics encourage players to play alone, and the people you see through CRZ might as well be NPCs for all the more meaning they'll have to you.

You don't understand the mentality of people bitching about CRZ; I"ve never understood the mentality that says "screw mechanics, screw logic, screw everything, THIS GAME IS AN MMO SO IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING WITH AT LEAST 50 OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES AND ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF THE HIVE MENTALITY YOU ARE AN UTTER FAILURE."

Edit: It should be blindingly obvious, but in case it's not, my capitalized statement at the end is hyperbole, an exaggeration meant to highlight why I find the mentality so puzzling and frustrating. Still, some people constantly point to the MMO portion of the game as an excuse to stuff as many people as possible into the zones, but never point to the RPG portion as an excuse to force people to read quest, role play, or do anything else that would be expected in a traditional RPG.
    The content used to be attractive as a group, but it is the community that stops it being so.
    Heirlooms may add to the issue, but are not responsible for poor behavior where players overstep their role, just "because they can".
    This is why the levelling experience is no longer able to teach, because newbies rarely get the opportunity to fall down and pick themselves up, because that would be so hurtful to the "efficiency at the expense of everything else" mentality that has developed among a significant number of the experienced players.
    I see constant complaints about how those at level cap don't have knowledge of their class, but don't stop to ask just where they are supposed to get that.

It can't be a real RPG, due to the need for those players to interact in the way they do.
    The real decisions that a single-player RPG offers would segregate such vast quantities of the players into tiny little niches.
    MMO and RPG are rather mutually exclusive, in that one compromises the ability to implement the other.

What RPG portion has there ever been, as even spec could be changed with effort.
    You have always been pidgeon-holed into what is in reality not a lot of options.
    Even the old talent trees had one or two ways to "do it right", with very little if any actual choice.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-10-28 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    One of the main issues I have at least is when ferrying people on my flying mount and watching the fall off or lag behind when changing zones..

That is due to phasing, NOT CRZ.
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Perhaps the reason why there are no communities anymore is because of arbitrary people like you who treat other players like NPCs simply because of what realm their character is physically hosted on. Realm communities existed due to technical limitations not because it was ever intended to actually be a thing and because of all the cross realm tech we have now we can make any community we want with whoever we want without being limited by technology. It is amazing how you people incessantly whine about these tools that can give you the very thing you claim is no longer possible in Wow.
    its more then just being linked the game incentive interaction and not menu driven game play, the world(game) feeling alive is more then how many people are in possible connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    They need to merge more servers. CRZ sucks. You get all of the negatives of having a higher population server (competition for mobs, people being jerks, rare spawn camping (not an issue on TI/WoD, but is for Cata/Wrath rares), and competition for resources) without any of the benefits (healthier AH, larger pool of people to draw from for groups/raids).

Except for high pop servers, every realm is hard linked to at least one or two other realms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    This.

Merge realms properly, then allow surnames and/or multi-word names.

For all intents and purposes the linked realms are merged, they act as one realm, without the negatives like player and guild name collision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    More like why aren't they all connected at this point?

Only the high pop/full servers aren't connected for obvious reasons. All other realms are connected to one or two others.

It's just CRZ is still in play so on a zone basis you have a higher pop in the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I do agree with what this person said.

I want to add that CRZ gives you all the bad sides of playing heavy-populated server, such as: (almost) impossibility to get any achievements requiring rare kills, very hard time progressing during new content release, and so on, while not giving you actual benefits of playing heavy-populated server, like having a huge pool of players to actually play with, or a cheap AH. Its like, a lose/lose situation, when your server goodies are being pillaged by foreign players, with only one "plus" that you see more people in form of those foreign players (bah). Like I care about seeing another people, pfft. All I care in this game is my guild and a bunch of friends. You can be sure I won't wait a 15 min respawn timer because some JohnDoe-RandomServer kills my rare. Or steals my ore.
    Last edited by l33t; 2015-10-28 at 08:50 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    This exactly.
    Some realms thrived and attracted more players, while some did just the opposite.
    It was a community created entirely by the players themselves.
    This is another issue that players like to blame on blizzard, but again the players themselves are responsible for.

The content used to be attractive as a group, but it is the community that stops it being so.
    Heirlooms may add to the issue, but are not responsible for poor behavior where players overstep their role, just "because they can".
    This is why the levelling experience is no longer able to teach, because newbies rarely get the opportunity to fall down and pick themselves up, because that would be so hurtful to the "efficiency at the expense of everything else" mentality that has developed among a significant number of the experienced players.
    I see constant complaints about how those at level cap don't have knowledge of their class, but don't stop to ask just where they are supposed to get that.

It can't be a real RPG, due to the need for those players to interact in the way they do.
    The real decisions that a single-player RPG offers would segregate such vast quantities of the players into tiny little niches.
    MMO and RPG are rather mutually exclusive, in that one compromises the ability to implement the other.

What RPG portion has there ever been, as even spec could be changed with effort.
    You have always been pidgeon-holed into what is in reality not a lot of options.
    Even the old talent trees had one or two ways to "do it right", with very little if any actual choice.
    People stopped forming groups because they didn't need to - every thing was made to be completed as a solo player.

Again, the players didn't change the game did.

Quote Originally Posted by MalfTM View Post
    Anyway! Might just be me, what is your opinion on this?
    I miss those days too, but I don't think it possible to go back. Those servers would just be dead.

I think they need to go the opposite route, ultimately to a single super-server type deally that gets rid of the server restrictions and puts everyone together.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I miss those days too, but I don't think it possible to go back. Those servers would just be dead.

I think they need to go the opposite route, ultimately to a single super-server type deally that gets rid of the server restrictions and puts everyone together.
    This would work if it borrowed from GW2 (and likely other games I can't think of) where harvesting nodes are "instanced" to each player (ie no jackass stealing ore nodes or herbs from you just before you get there) and public kills for rare spawns/elites. Otherwise, it'd be a shit sandwich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Except for high pop servers, every realm is hard linked to at least one or two other realms.

- - - Updated - - -

For all intents and purposes the linked realms are merged, they act as one realm, without the negatives like player and guild name collision.
    Yet the linked realms still get folks from CRZ? Why even have CRZ if they've linked/merged enough servers together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    I do agree with what this person said.

I want to add that CRZ gives you all the bad sides of playing heavy-populated server, such as: (almost) impossibility to get any achievements requiring rare kills, very hard time progressing during new content release, and so on, while not giving you actual benefits of playing heavy-populated server, like having a huge pool of players to actually play with, or a cheap AH. Its like, a lose/lose situation, when your server goodies are being pillaged by foreign players, with only one "plus" that you see more people in form of those foreign players (bah). Like I care about seeing another people, pfft. All I care in this game is my guild and a bunch of friends. You can be sure I won't wait a 15 min respawn timer because some JohnDoe-RandomServer kills my rare. Or steals my ore.
    Exactly this. It's part of why I left a medium (probably low now) pop server at the end of MoP; a server I spent pretty much 90% of my wow days on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post

Yet the linked realms still get folks from CRZ? Why even have CRZ if they've linked/merged enough servers together.

CRZ only opens on a zone basis, and certain zones are excluded like current content.

On all realms the majority of players are in current content zones, or capital cities. Yet if you're leveling, or farming old content or whatever reason are in older content, the game will put you into a CRZ if your realm's version of the zone isn't populated, or too populated. Even multiple CRZs for the same zone can be created.