Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Quickest way to train rotational mastery

Hi guys i want to master my hunter rotation and maybe monk after I master hunter. So all the good raiders apparently don't even think about their rotation so they can just focus on the fights. So basically I want to know the most efficient practice method of getting to that point. In a game like csgo there are clear ways of training aim. I have tried looking up how to embed a rotation to the muscle memory but can't really find anything. Thx 4 ur help.

Quote Originally Posted by LoreLuver View Post
    Hi guys i want to master my hunter rotation and maybe monk after I master hunter. So all the good raiders apparently don't even think about their rotation so they can just focus on the fights. So basically I want to know the most efficient practice method of getting to that point. In a game like csgo there are clear ways of training aim. I have tried looking up how to embed a rotation to the muscle memory but can't really find anything. Thx 4 ur help.
    Luckily You want to play Hunter which is the easiest class in the game to play. 3 buttons. and a haste buff every so bit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LoreLuver View Post
    I have tried looking up how to embed a rotation to the muscle memory but can't really find anything. Thx 4 ur help.
    Oh thats easy

Just practice. Then you will know where each button is. However i don't think the rotation itself can be forgotten about. The good raiders will plan ahead and save CDs for the right moment and be dynamic according to the situation.

uhm
    you play a hunter
    so basically mashing your head on the keyboard would probably put you in the 95+ percentile once you got your 4pc

on a more serious note, just practice

Raider don't think about their rotation because they do it so much. It's all about practice. The more you play with that character the more used to the abilities and finger movements it requires. Similar to, I guess, typing. Do you really consider every key that you press or do you just press it because you know what you're doing? Just practice with your character and eventually it will all become muscle memory. The difficult part comes in understanding fight mechanics, when to use your niche abilities, which abilities to choose, and when to plan your CDs correctly on a fight by fight basis. When you move onto a different character it's usually a good idea to put similar spells on the same keybindings to the transition is easier. For example, your interrupt would be bound to the same key for each character.

Not sure if it's a good idea but you could practice your rotation on a training dummy until you can remember what button to press to do that ability and then move on to actual fights to work on rotation flexibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keybindings, UI, practice.

Raid til your eyes bleed, then swap to your alt and raid til your eyes bleed, the go back and raid on your main til your eyes bleed.
    Seriously if you really want to get your rotation down to muscle memory spend a hell of a lot of hours every day practicing.

Like everyone said pretty much time and practice with your class. Main thing for me was getting my keybinding down to a fault where i know were every single one of my skills our. Practicing my rotation on dummies, and using weakaura and such to track what i need to track so i don't need to look at my keybars.

Go PvP a lot, it'll push your tracking and button usage threshold

PvE you can get away with just a few abilities and ignore the rarely used stuff, but when you add a ton of extra macros and CC on top of paying attention to multiple people those damage abilities just becomes a fraction of what you need to focus on. Going back into PvE that small fraction of your new skillset becomes much more managable and easy to do with less thinking. You'll still want to max damage in the time that you get while staying alive and looking at multiple targets

Steep learning curve but sure beats standing there hitting some immobile dummy

Also, it goes without saying but since you're looking to expand on more than 1 characters, it's a good idea to have some kind of pattern when you keybind abilities (ie having speed boosts at the same keybind, having defensives at the same keybind and so on).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, join pugs that you overgear, such as a normal hfc at 700+ ilvl etc, and just do the fights a bunch of times. Get used to where to stand, what your focus is at, etc. It may take time but that's not too bad of a thing
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Follow the 4p's of life and you'll do great.

Practice your rotation/position
    Patience as mastery takes time
    Perseverance always strive to do better
    Payoff = higher DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start on a training dummy. That eliminates other factors so you can concentrate on the rotation itself. Setup weak auras or any other alerts to tell you when something is off cool down.

LOG your time on the dummy. Recount to Skada are fine - you want to know uptime, etc. So, for example, if you have an ability that comes off CD every 6 seconds and have a 5 minute (300 second) session on the dummy, you should have 50 of those abilities show. 48 or so might be fine (no one is perfect) but if you have 40 of those spells cast, work on getting that up. Same for buffs, etc.

Once you are good there run 5 mans, raids, etc because in the real world you'll have to move, switch targets, etc.

It's all about keybinding everything and building muscle memory. You have to practice a lot, and try to not think about your abilities as you practice more and more. When you don't think about your keybinds anymore and just think "I need to disengage" or "I need to rapid fire and spam shit", you just do it rather than think about what keys to press, you're able to focus on other things, like mechanics and target swapping, etc.

It does seem like the time it takes to build muscle memory varies from person to person. And that may come down with experience and practice. You'll just have to practice until you don't have to think about it, and then in the future as you learn different classes and specs, you'll likely find that it takes less and less time to do this.
    Last edited by jMerliN; 2015-10-27 at 08:35 PM.

lots of practice. my rotation is totally automatic on my monk whether im playing BrM or WW specs.

You want to be to the point where you can automatically change your rotation based on the situation and pick it back up without skipping a beat. running lots of LFR and Dungeons is good practice.

I also use a 12 button mmo mouse, and use the bartender addon so i can put my bars in a 3x4 grid that matches the keypad on the mouse. it takes a little getting used to but my god is it amazing. use ctrl and alt as my modifiers to my 2nd and 3rd bars. so i have use one finger on my left hand and the thumb on my mouse and i have 36 keybinds.

Deleted
    Hit the target dummy for a hour straight. After an hour you can disable your ui and start over. Take 15 minutes turns and get as close as you can to your one hour session in DPS regards, repeat until satisfied.b

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeBit View Post
    Hit the target dummy for a hour straight. After an hour you can disable your ui and start over. Take 15 minutes turns and get as close as you can to your one hour session in DPS regards, repeat until satisfied.b
    That is actually a good point, disabling the UI and being able to still do your rotation and defensives\interrupts is when you have it down pat. I used to be able to raid with no UI at all(on farm) and do probably 80% of what I could with full UI (times for DoTs are a bit harder to work out compeltely without a UI) but that was quite a while ago and I have had several significant breaks since then and I'm nowhere near as good a player as I was.

Proving grounds and five mans is the best way for sure.

Another way is to close your eyes on training dummies and see what you can do. That should be the ultimate indication that you can press buttons without thought.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    With hunter, there are certain things that can't be muscle memorized. For example, you will still need to pay attention to your focus and your procs. For procs you can just use audio alerts, but for focus you just have to pay attention. Key is basically juggling your attention between things.
    http://re-lapse.enjin.com/
    Fri Sat 9PM-1AM EST
    13/13M
    US #1 Weekend Guild
    If you have what it takes, apply.