Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Now that it's out, MLG anyone?

In the next couple days, we'll start seeing the what characters excel and the ones that don't. We'll also see what comps work best. As well as strats that work the best.

As of now, the game RIGHT NOW isn't competitive to be an E-sport. Obviously we know that this beta encompasses what unranked play will be. We know that.

The question here is: What do you think needs to happen to make ranked mode (when it comes out) competitive?

My thoughts:

Aim toward draft pick mode. This will most likely mean adding more heroes in every category.

Make the template of play reward team comps, such as what LoL has.

I.e. 1 tank, 3 offence, 1 support 1 defense etc.
    Last edited by Ralikon; 2015-10-27 at 11:19 PM.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Just good balance and requiring for most part team effort if it is a team based game and not just who ever is best individually

10+ Year Old Account
    What HotS is missing: individual talent has to matter. Not much but it HAS TO MATTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    What HotS is missing: individual talent has to matter. Not much but it HAS TO MATTER.
    I think individual talent plays a huge role in Overwatch.

My thoughts: Aim toward draft pick heroes. This will require more heroes in the mix.

Make the template of play reward team comps, such as the one in league.

Having played the game all day, I can say that if someone plans to play one or two "mains" you wont do well at all. The game revolves around counter picking throughout the match.

As far as ranked goes, the best players will be the ones that know the counters and can play a lot of the characters. Players that stick to one or two characters will get shit on most of the time and will almost always lose against players that know and can play the counters.

Bump that up to a team level and thats what you are looking at for a meta, knowing how to counter the current line up of the other team. Of course there will also be a "best" starting line up depending if you are on offense or defense at some point but I dont think it will character specific but role specific. Just my opinion though.

edited it so it was a little more clear.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2015-10-27 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Having played the game all day, I can say that if someone plans to play one or two "mains" you wont do well at all. The game revolves around counter picking throughout the match.

As far as ranked goes, the best players will be the ones that know the counters and can play a lot of the characters. Players that stick to one or two characters will get shit on most of the time and will always lose against players that know and can play the counters. Bump that up to a team level and thats what you are looking at for a meta, knowing how to counter the current line up of the other team. Of course there will also be a "best" starting line up depending if you are on offense or defense at some point but I dont think it will character specific but role specific. Just my opinion though.
    Good insights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    I think individual talent plays a huge role in Overwatch.

My thoughts: Aim toward draft pick heroes. This will require more heroes in the mix.

Make the template of play reward team comps, such as the one in league.

I have no idea if it matters. I can't play the game..

it's a blizzard game. balancing will be trash now & foreve
    Last edited by Skillslam; 2015-10-29 at 01:26 PM.

Watched Summit play a team of Devs and it was awesome watching. Dev team had strats and picks for every section of the map so when the game gets to a wide audience there is a great deal of room for innovation with strategies and each Ulti can make game swinging plays for great replays and acclaim. I wouldn't put much stock in the Twitch numbers but from what I'm watching the game definitely has the chops for a competitive scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillslam View Post
    it's a blizzard game. balancing will be trash now & forever
    SC2 begs to disagree, Frozen Throne was also very well balanced (outside of Orc vs Undead matchup).

Well its in beta so nothing is final.

Spent a few hours playing last night and it was a lot of fun except for one match. I believe it was on temple of anubis. Basically the map only has one exit out of the starting room. From there it goes a bit then turns right and has two corridors that lead into one and that is the only way to go. So as soon as the map starts I walk out the door and am immediately sniped by widow maker and die. Literally within one second bam dead. However what is worse is that they have a tracer constantly constantly porting in and out attacking us and widow maker, bastion with his mini gun, and someone shooting rockets down the hallway the whole game. For 5 minutes we were never able to leave the starting area. We even tried running two tanks with shields but no luck. We had one kill the whole game. That really soured me on the game. There needs to be another way out of that area otherwise if the defense is coordinated you're screwed.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Post that as feedback. Tf2 went out of its way to keep starting zones relatively safe, with numerous exits and defendable points around + disadanragrous setup for those ambushing it

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Post that as feedback. Tf2 went out of its way to keep starting zones relatively safe, with numerous exits and defendable points around + disadanragrous setup for those ambushing it
    Good thought, I'll do that when I get home. And it was probably also us playing bad + against a good coordinated team but it was really not fun at all to just get slaughtered over and over.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Templates are pointless, or hopefully will be. But drafts will be interesting. Say 2 bans a team would open it up a bit. maybe a limit on total team changes through out the game?

Not sure really I hope they try a few ideas as opposed to just keeping it the way it correctly is and declaring that best.

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Templates are pointless, or hopefully will be. But drafts will be interesting. Say 2 bans a team would open it up a bit. maybe a limit on total team changes through out the game?

Not sure really I hope they try a few ideas as opposed to just keeping it the way it correctly is and declaring that best.
    I was thinking having no changes at all. Hero picks should be final. Except maybe when swapping sides.

Also, it goes without saying that ranked should not consist of doubled of heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Spent a few hours playing last night and it was a lot of fun except for one match. I believe it was on temple of anubis. Basically the map only has one exit out of the starting room. From there it goes a bit then turns right and has two corridors that lead into one and that is the only way to go. So as soon as the map starts I walk out the door and am immediately sniped by widow maker and die. Literally within one second bam dead. However what is worse is that they have a tracer constantly constantly porting in and out attacking us and widow maker, bastion with his mini gun, and someone shooting rockets down the hallway the whole game. For 5 minutes we were never able to leave the starting area. We even tried running two tanks with shields but no luck. We had one kill the whole game. That really soured me on the game. There needs to be another way out of that area otherwise if the defense is coordinated you're screwed.
    Yeah, when I look at the maps I feel like they're way too sporadic/CoD-esque. They have an arcade vibe.

The reason why League is balanced fairly easy is because the map doesn't change. However, that would most likely get boring in an FPS. So, I think you keep the themes, but make ranked maps essentially the same all-throughout

If this game is going to be rock-paper-scissors simulator I don't think i'll like it much. That being said, I haven't been hands on yet so my feeling doesn't count for much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    If this game is going to be rock-paper-scissors simulator I don't think i'll like it much. That being said, I haven't been hands on yet so my feeling doesn't count for much.
    Your opinion matters! You can analyze just as much by watching as you can by playing

they could always add a mode/option where you would be stuck with the character you first picked.

those who like it could play that mode, those who like to switch could play the other, everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post
    Your opinion matters! You can analyze just as much by watching as you can by playing
    I mean, I understand that a lot of games have a counter-pick style to them. I'm just put off by the idea of constantly having to change characters. I would at least want player skill to equal the impact that counter picking has. At the end of the day it does raise the skill ceiling I think (which people were worried about) so I guess it's fine, even if it's not for me.