Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The increasing problem I see isn't just the island and the 12 mile zone around it, because that's not really all China wants. They think/want to have the entire South China Sea be considered their property, and to control any sea lanes and resources in the whole thing, not just a tiny 12 mile circle.

It's a common pattern by some of the big powers lately around the world that's a bit colonial/imperialist and alarming. The pattern is large powers claiming historical right or precedent over another sovereign territory and then through intimidation or modest force taking it over. Russia did it with the Crimea (pointing out Russian history in the Crimea and Sevastopol), and tried to and partially succeeded with doing it in the rest of Ukraine. Now China is doing the same in the South China Sea. In the case of China, I've seen many interviews with the public there and the Chinese claim that the area should be theirs because it has China in the name. We see the same with lots of countries planting flags every few miles at the north and south poles to claim oil resources as their own. When humans begin travel to Mars, I'm sure different countries will have their flags planted every few miles claiming parts of it for themselves too. It's just kind of scary considering Hitler in WW2 started by invading Austria with excuses of historical claims and of just doing what the people there wanted.

Personally I work with and have friends from China, and they are great. I don't see a war looming over the territory dispute at all. But things will eventually get tested and might flare up when the US and other countries ignore the Chinese claim to the whole South China Sea (not just the 12 miles around this artificial island), and if China gets aggressive in trying to enforce it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    It's just kind of scary considering Hitler in WW2 started by invading Austria with excuses of historical claims and of just doing what the people there wanted.
    He never invaded it, he attached it to Germany. And it was his homeland.