I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Budget gaming rig?

So back in January my gaming computer went to pot from a static discharge. I'm looking to get some input on my next build.

This is what I was looking at for a replacement build for my old computer:
    AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black edition $100
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX motherboard $80
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 $80
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+? $205
    Sentey Power Supply 725w $47
    I still have my old hard drive.

Games I play the most:
    1. Planetary Annihilation.
    2. Path of Exile
    3. Planetside 2
    4. Various open world games...Just Cause 2, Black Flag...used to play a lot of Firefall before it turned into shit.

Games I want to get:
    1. The Division
    2. Fallout 4
    3. Not too sure about others as I haven't looked at video games in several months.

I don't care about playing games in 4K resolution. I don't use Blu-Ray. I generally play on a single monitor. Not sure what other info you guys and gals might need.

Personally I would not get one of those super old AMD CPU's. Grab a pentium (G3258) that you can overclock and then save up for a 4690k. Also, look into the EVGA PSU, they're affordable and solid.

Deleted
    So what is your budget and can you re-use any of the old stuff, like an hdd or pc case? Does the budget need to include o/s?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    So what is your budget and can you re-use any of the old stuff, like an hdd or pc case? Does the budget need to include o/s?
    I would like to keep it around $600 if possible. I can go higher if I push out getting all the stuff for another month.

Deleted
    The following will be alot better, its 600$ without the aftermarket cpu cooler and ssd which will be your upgrades later on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card ($180.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $706.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-29 16:30 EDT-0400

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    The following will be alot better, its 600$ without the aftermarket cpu cooler and ssd which will be your upgrades later on.
    Very cool, and thank you for your help. I'll probably go with that exact setup. I still have my hard drive so I will wait on getting the SSD in December.

Would 4gb vs 2gb on the GPU make a difference if I'm planning to stay at 1080p on a single monitor? I have read in a few places that 2gb doesn't cut it for newer games unless you dial back the visual settings...not sure of the validity of this just what I've read.

Deleted
    I guess it could happen but its not the case with most games out there atm. If you want 4gb you got 2 good options (price wise), prices changed abit during weekend you're lucky:
    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G LE
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 380