Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes to both

10+ Year Old Account
    On my grandmother's side of the family I've met a lot of Cherokee family members, and some mountain folk.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was a guy in my college debate class who was half Native American, and he was pretty cool. He would bring like...treats and share them with the class LOL. Like one time he brought a really sharp cheddar and gave everyone some. I don't think I've ever met a full-blooded Native American, but I have seen plenty.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2015-10-30 at 01:01 AM.

Unless you live under a rock you've met one if you live in the US. The people who complain about illegal immigrants really just mean Native Americans from south of our border.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    None full blood honestly. I dated a chick who was part abo part flippo and she was attractive
    What is a flippo?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    What is a flippo?
    People from the Philippines (I think).

10+ Year Old Account
    I visited the Amberas.

They were alright, and we got lucky because they have a visitor quota. Toilets were literally a hole in the ground though...

Yes to native american. My grandmother is Cherokee and my grandfather on that side is like 1/4th. Besides maybe being a little bit reserved that entire half of my family is more or less just like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Just curious as both of these groups unlike so many others do not have global ethnic dispora like British Natives, Japanese, Chinese and Nigerians for example, so they're pretty limited to primarily inhabiting Australia and the Americas respectively.

So have you ever met either an Aborigine or a Native American/American Indian? What are they like if you have as in what's your experience with them?

I met myself a long time ago ... okay, I'm only 1/8th Cherokee. However, I met my Great Grandfather who was full Cherokee on his death bed and spent some time with my Great Grandmother. The odd thing, despite the Cherokee being more peaceful and more accepting of others I have a Grand Aunt from that side of the family who is full blown racist.

And one time while on an airplane I sat next to, I think he was a shaman, of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Although I'm part of a different Nation, I learned much on that trip.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Native Americans all the time I have cousins who are Native American plus one of my brothers closest friends is Native American and his Grandparents live just a couple houses down

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... I am Australian. So see an Aboriginal almost daily. The majority of them are guess what? Human. So normal people. But just like any other humans some are stupid, some are smart. Some are arseholes, some are nice. Some are ugly, some are beautiful.

I really don't understand the point in this thread. The question might as well be. "Ever met a Human?"... Well yes.
    Aye mate

I am Australian and grew up around a lot of Aboriginals of many types. My opinion which is shared by many who have had to live amongst them is one which would get me banned instantly on here regardless of the fact I'd be the only one here who knows about them.

There are of course many good Aboriginals who work and get by like the rest of us. There are also many Aboriginals who crap on about 'muh land' and are generally just scum. Then there is the common type in the country which I had to deal with the most - The alcoholic scumbag abos who shit on the floor in shops (SA, WA, NT), huff paint, petrol, glue, anything. Many regional aboriginal communities are sober zones with no alcohol in or out of the area and Aboriginals banned from buying alcohol. Break into homes, start fights and try to roll people when they are in groups. The worse is an Aboriginal girl I knew who was constantly raped as a child, saying it happens all the time in their camps and housing areas. I stopped her from killing herself although she already slit up her wrists with broken glass at a train station (I used to be a train security guard). Seeing a gin get around super cheap auto huffing paint trying to break into the sealed cabinet of paint can's earlier in the year has been my last experience with a full blood. I have aboriginal mates at work. I like anyone who works and contributes to society and hate everyone who doesn't.

Lots of people will say 'thats racist because thats just your experience and 2nd hand info' and generalization but regardless of political correctness that is reality and its political correctness that stops people from openly admitting there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
    I had a really close friend work up in Mt-Isa as a doctor for a year at the main hospital up there.
    She would come home most nights in tears the stories she told me of what is happening, most of which I won't go into here due to the pure level of detail, but yes Drinking drugs and underage sex is a big thing in some of the more remote camps, so much so that 10-13 year old girls with treatable STI's that looked years old were a constant thing, 14 year olds with serious health issues from drinking / drugs.

But I live in the exact opposite side of the country from that section, in Tassie I have met multiple Aboriginals and there descendants (in fact my cousins are 1/8th) 90% of thsoe that I have met were normal amazing people, in high school we went on a camp for a week out in the bush with some elders from a local community, they taught us all about their history showed us how their people lived off the land and it was an amazing experience.
    so yeah both extremes of the scale.

I haven't met Australain yet alone Aboriginal before. As for Native American I have seen quite a few when visiting Mexico.
    Last edited by luc54; 2015-10-30 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I'm from the US. I know plenty of people with native ancestry. Also I have gone to plenty of tribal lands for many reasons.

First I should point out a fairly sizable percentage of all Americans have at least one native ancestor, especially anyone descended from older American families, or those decended from slavery.

Second tribal lands are everywhere, some are dirt poor and are not someplace nice to visit. However many of them are economically strong due to independent tax statuses, legal fireworks and gambling.

In short they are like anyone else in the US, some are dirt poor, some work hard, and so swim in money. And just like anyone any where if they feel safe the are friendly, if they feel insecure the can be down right horrible.

To the racists from Australia who posted prior.

When you take away a persons hope and happiness they become dirt. Your view of the native people is discusting the natives in Australia have less hope for a good life, it doesn't matter if they work hard, get an education, or do drugs, no matter what white people will treat them all as if they are scum.

People tend to live the stereotype that they are forced to live, they don't choose these lifestyle because they want to be junkies as kids.

I'm from Canada. I have a french name derived from an Irish immigrant. It's taboo, but it's known that half the population has native genes. The explorateurs had tendencies for beautiful native women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    To the racists from Australia who posted prior.

When you take away a persons hope and happiness they become dirt. Your view of the native people is discusting the natives in Australia have less hope for a good life, it doesn't matter if they work hard, get an education, or do drugs, no matter what white people will treat them all as if they are scum.

People tend to live the stereotype that they are forced to live, they don't choose these lifestyle because they want to be junkies as kids.
    What Bushtucker said was pretty spot on, if you consider that racist then you're pretty thin-skinned and easily offended. I did not detect any hint of racism from his comments, like he said there's multiple types of Aboriginals and I'm sure he'd agree that they're just like any other race when it comes to having multiple types of individuals. My experience has not been great with Aboriginals but I'm of the opinion that they're not all bad people, just like Asians, Africans, Latinos and White people.

There's nothing wrong with Aboriginals having tribes and what not, by all means that's their right but if some of those people want to integrate into Australian society and then start claiming societies' "welfare benefits", then they're in the same boat as us and need to contribute to society rather than try and tear it down with non-sense. I'd say the same to any other race of people, not just them.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2015-10-30 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    What Bushtucker said was pretty spot on, if you consider that racist then you're pretty thin-skinned and easily offended. I did not detect any hint of racism from his comments, like he said there's multiple types of Aboriginals and I'm sure he'd agree that they're just like any other race when it comes to having multiple types of individuals. My experience has not been great with Aboriginals but I'm of the opinion that they're not all bad people, just like Asians, Africans, Latinos and White people.
    Almost every natives here in Canada are alcoolics or drugheads. It does'nt change the fact that I know my ancestry. Natives froms -400 US were different. French and English explorer fucked a lot with native women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious as both of these groups unlike so many others do not have global ethnic dispora like British Natives, Japanese, Chinese and Nigerians for example, so they're pretty limited to primarily inhabiting Australia and the Americas respectively.

So have you ever met either an Aborigine or a Native American/American Indian? What are they like if you have as in what's your experience with them?
    I've met both, being Australian, there are quite a lot of Aboriginals of a various descent. The Native American that I met was actually a guest lecturer, and talked about how similar the cultures were in terms of hunting methods, use of land and ceremony. To begin with, let's just remember that they are people too. You make it sound like "they" are aliens or something, but no, they are just humans who are living their lives.

There are Aboriginals out there who work, live their life like any other person in society, and there are those out there trying to reclaim their lost culture, then there are the ones who complain and don't do society any benefit, but having said that, that applies for any group of people. Most of those I've met are trying to reclaim their culture and are working towards reconciliation, but other than that it's mostly just normal people on the street, at restaurants. I don't get what you expected them to be?
    Currently Procrastinating

Heaps in WA. Just go to a suburban train station, there will be at least one drunk or chroming. Not many in Melbourne.

Btw I have to ask, are there any attractive Aborigine women you've met?
    This is going to sound terrible, but no, they are not an attractive people. I did meet a girl once who was half Aboriginal and half Filipino (according to her, in reality it might very been a lot less than half) who was quite attractive though.

- - - Updated - - -

None full blood honestly. I dated a chick who was part abo part flippo and she was attractive
    Wait a minute was this in WA? Was it the same girl!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Met several when I was living in Wisconsin and the last time I was in New Mexico. Living in California...not so much.

well, i'm 1/8th native american myself, but that's only just barely enough to see in the color of my skin. i did see my great grandma a couple times when i was too little too remember and once on her death bed, so yes i've met a pure native american.

met a black guy that ran a store near me who said he was of native descent, but probably only about as much as me, but he was big into the spirit and culture of the natives and that's what his shop revolved around.

i don't know much about their culture and beliefs, other than what i've heard on the history channel and that's not a lot.