10+ Year Old Account

Sound levels acting wonky

Problem: Every so often, the sound coming from my Logitech Z506 set cuts to about half. The strange part is, the actual 'set' volume doesn't change. I have both windows volume control, and the Xonar DGX Card/Audio software. Both of them are set to max, and my speak volume sits at about ~35%. Thats about where I like it, and if its too loud, I turn it down via the volume button on my keyboard temporarily.

Whenever it goes quiet, everything is still set to max. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Here's what I've checked

-Skype has volume controls, and Ive messed with it, and it doesn't seem to change anything. This also happens when skype is off.
    -I've checked all the ports on my Xonar card, as well as the speaker ports, and messed with the wires to make sure there isn't some kind of short.

I'm at a loss at this point on how to fix this issue, and I'm just looking for thoughts on how to resolve it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    did you try with other speakers or a headset if the same thing happens? So you can eliminate if its your speakers or the problem is elsewhere? I have some sound distortion every now and then since i upgrade to win10 2months ago.