Deleted

Help choosing a melee class ?

Hi there

I want to come back to WoW for a moment after a long break (Whole WoD actually), to try out a DPS melee class. I've only been playing rogue, mage and warlock in the past, and these classes don't appeal to me anymore (Don't like how rogue combo works, and got bored of casting times + Mana being irrevelant).

So, could GD orient me towards a cool melee class or describe me how they look like atm ? I've considered Warrior but I fear it to be too simple.
    I'm not looking for "the best DPS class", rather something amusing to play in PvP and PvE.

Thanks for the answers~
    Last edited by mmoc31e79dec12; 2015-10-29 at 09:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna get closed because we can't choose for you.

Deleted
    I'm not asking ya'll to choose for me, but rather to orient me towards a class, since I have pretty much no idea how they changed and the different sites i've looked at aren't helping either ;(.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe wait until Legion when Survival Hunters become melee.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

If you dislike Warrior because it seems too simple then you might want to give Monk DPS a shot. Windwalker seems to have a pretty high skill cap and it takes a lot to be very good at it. I could be wrong, any Windwalker pros around to confirm/deny?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isander View Post
    I'm not asking ya'll to choose for me, but rather to orient me towards a class, since I have pretty much no idea how they changed and the different sites i've looked at aren't helping either ;(.
    It's literally 1 week until Blizzcon. Right now everything we say will be outdated by then.

The only melee spec that I really dislike is Windwalker. It's essentially got combo points and energy like a rogue has, but somehow feels even slower and on top of that it also has the worst mastery I've ever seen. You need to build up charges by spending combo points to get a large temporary damage buff. Outside of one or two abilities (one being a casted ability) you'll hit like a wet noodle even with the mastery buff. In general it's also very squishy and my monk was the only character I took to Tanaan that had trouble keeping itself alive. Only plus side is the mobility moves that are fun to use, if you don't get stuck behind a twig.

I'd rank the remaining melee classes:
    Rogue > Druid > Warrior > Paladin > Death Knight > Shaman

I do very little instanced content on my alts and I tend to prefer classes that are fast, self sustaining and have nice burst for rares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archipelagos View Post
    If you dislike Warrior because it seems too simple then you might want to give Monk DPS a shot. Windwalker seems to have a pretty high skill cap and it takes a lot to be very good at it. I could be wrong, any Windwalker pros around to confirm/deny?
    Yea for complexity something like Feral or Enhance. Feral and Sub Rogue are (imho) the hardest DPS speccs in the game.

Frost dk op as shit in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    While I know it is a melee class, for the last few expansions enhancement shamans haven't felt like a melee class to me, they seem more like a melee range caster - sure everything is pretty much instant cast etc, but to me at least, it doesn't feel like the damage is really coming from your weapons... (I REALLY want 2H shaman back...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    It's literally 1 week until Blizzcon. Right now everything we say will be outdated by then.
    Between Blizzcon and the actual changes there will be quite a lot of time to play !

Thanks a lot for the answers, you all really helped me out. Considering what has been said I'll try out Feral druid.
    If there's any other remarks or recommendation don't hesitate to post them !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    I don't know, the monk just got an update(buff) for example, at least for the next few months the upcoming patches updates will be relevant.

With that said, roll a monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rossfraney View Post
    I don't know, the monk just got an update(buff) for example, at least for the next few months the upcoming patches updates will be relevant.

With that said, roll a monk
    Weren't those just tooltip fixes?

Personally I'm also really bored with the combo point concept, but feral druid can be quite fun still, I like the idea of the bleeds, but I don't like the way I gotta keep up the damage buff all the time, same with slice and dice, I'm not a fan of that. Come to think of it, I'm also struggling to find a melee spec to play!

10+ Year Old Account
    So you dislike Rogue and Combo Points? That eliminates Ferals too then. You think Warrior is too simple? Fine.

I suppose we should ask, what kind of resource do you enjoy more? Like rage/energy/mana. That's usually the first step I take when determining a new class to play.

frost dk feels pretty powerful even at lower item levels.

im partial to rogues too.

id recommend playing something that can take some pain, rogues are great at it, dks arent too shabby either

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    So you dislike Rogue and Combo Points? That eliminates Ferals too then. You think Warrior is too simple? Fine.

I suppose we should ask, what kind of resource do you enjoy more? Like rage/energy/mana. That's usually the first step I take when determining a new class to play.
    Feral seems different than rogue though (more reliant on DoTing). But now that you underline it... You might be right. Feral is maybe not what I seek.

I want something that I have to manage but not too restraining. That's why I thought about warrior : Rage seems to fit this description.
    You people are also suggesting DK. The rune system looks cool !

EDIT : Thanks again for your suggestions everyone. I'm rolling a Warrior, the class seems to be the funniest for me to play.
    Last edited by mmoc31e79dec12; 2015-10-29 at 12:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Now is a bad time for choosing a new class to play, we have absolutely no idea of Blizzard's class changes for Legion (excluding melee hunters). It's better to just wait for until everything is set in stone for the next expansion.
    I agree with both you and Feali about the upcoming changes but, as I said above, there's still some time to discover a new class before everything gets changed.

Besides, I guess they won't change the classes too deeply overall. I'll see when Legion comes out c:

7+ Year Old Account
    Rogue is the best class in the game. You said you played that already in the past. Anything else you try now will just be a disappointment in comparison.