Poll: How much gold does the average player have?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    We're talking about non-raiding, guildless adventurer who does pve in lfr sometimes and pvp on ashran and random bgs mostly. He does not run old raids because he don't have much time to; he does not have many alts for the same reason; he does not play AH, obviously, because AH play takes more time than raiding 4 characters every week; he does not read guides, nor he plays his class optimally. That's our average player.

So, for that player, I believe, normal gold amount is something ranged from 25 to 50k, most of which was farmed doing dailies and random dungeons in Pandaria.

Lots of people who post here on MMO-C underestimate how much effort garrison goldfarming management alone takes in reality, not to speak about dedicated AH play.
    The latest trend though has been that many of these players have started asking other people for tips how to make gold because of the WoW token. I'd consider people on the forums as more dedicated than these average players, but I see them all the time on WoW Facebook groups. For the past few months there's been a huge frequency of "How do I make gold? My playtime runs out soon "-posts and the answer's always garrisons and Cata raids, and since barely anyone of them understands how these garrisons work ("how are all your followers epic??") they start doing Cata raids because it's almost instant access to a few thousand per reset. Other average players who post on these groups will also read these posts and think to themselves that "hmmm Cata raids you say, that means I can have Vial of the Sands in a few weeks!", so they also start doing it.

So I'm guessing the median has gone up quite a lot in the past few months, probably closer to 50k than 25k, maybe even higher. From the POV of an average player I guess I'd feel pretty comfortable around the 50k mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    The latest trend though has been that many of these players have started asking other people for tips how to make gold because of the WoW token. I'd consider people on the forums as more dedicated than these average players, but I see them all the time on WoW Facebook groups. For the past few months there's been a huge frequency of "How do I make gold? My playtime runs out soon "-posts and the answer's always garrisons and Cata raids, and since barely anyone of them understands how these garrisons work ("how are all your followers epic??") they start doing Cata raids because it's almost instant access to a few thousand per reset. Other average players who post on these groups will also read these posts and think to themselves that "hmmm Cata raids you say, that means I can have Vial of the Sands in a few weeks!", so they also start doing it.

So I'm guessing the median has gone up quite a lot in the past few months, probably closer to 50k than 25k, maybe even higher. From the POV of an average player I guess I'd feel pretty comfortable around the 50k mark.
    Well, considering average player plays his class far from optimal, I fail to see how they would clean 25-man DS heroic in their average gear. And even if they somehow manage to do that, by cleaning DS with one character you will achieve too low gold monthly to pay for token.

Also, you're seriously deluding yourself if you think you're an average player while you're a multiboxer Multiboxing - hell, even for me it is an unknown territory, and I am playing this game for almost a decade! I gave you a very precise portrait of average player, believe it or not. Average players do not use any of internet guides, even in form of Facebook groups. They can ask in trade or LFG chat ingame - once - but they immediately get harsh yet so truthful answers like "nub go read wowhead", so they won't ask again - and neither they would go and read wowhead, sadly
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Really? I have about 200k, but I assumed everyone had more gold than me. I dont specifically go out to make gold, but I dont blow it on huge buys either. I dont raid so consumables dont drain me, but theyre so cheap now anyway.

I'm sitting at around 50k at usual... a friend of mine plays the auction house game once or twice a week and is sitting at over 1mio ._.

I'd say the average player has around 20k gold.

The average player doesn't really have treasure followers, he doesn't run old instances and he can't play the AH.

In MoP I had at most 20k gold.

Now I am slowly encroaching 200k on my main purely from garrison missions, my only expense is food,flasks and potions and the occasional enchants and gems so it will just keep piling on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Well, considering average player plays his class far from optimal, I fail to see how they would clean 25-man DS heroic in their average gear. And even if they somehow manage to do that, by cleaning DS with one character you will achieve too low gold monthly to pay for token.

Also, you're seriously deluding yourself if you think you're an average player while you're a multiboxer Multiboxing - hell, even for me it is an unknown territory, and I am playing this game for almost a decade! I gave you a very precise portrait of average player, believe it or not. Average players do not use any of internet guides, even in form of Facebook groups. They can ask in trade or LFG chat ingame - once - but they immediately get harsh yet so truthful answers like "nub go read wowhead", so they won't ask again - and neither they would go and read wowhead, sadly
    I'm not disagreeing at all, you described them really well! Just saying that I see these people all the time on these groups they take screenshots with their phones, go crazy over getting old outdated mounts and ask Facebook instead of Google how they should play their class and if you're giving them serious feedback they're not gonna read it because walls of text are hard to understand. And lately they've been asking for tips when it comes to gold making. And of course they're not able to clear DS25 heroic! They're obviously not capable of doing Spine because "something strange is one shotting me, is the fight bugged??" But they are doing the easy ones though!

And what I meant by casual POV was if I was in their shoes. 50k would be a bit less than a token but enough to buy a few shiny things every now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had about 300k at the start of WoD.
    Now I'm sitting on ~1.3million. I'm not sure how much I earned since I spent quite some gold on BMAH mounts/toys/pets. I have 3 chars at 100 with treasure hunters (only 2 of them with inn, though).
    I spend about 20-30 mins/day ingame on non-raiding days. And run some cata raids (FL, DS - since I still need mounts from there) like 1-2 times a month on a single char.
    I clear 6 bosses in ToT and 5 bosses in MSV weekly as well (mount farming too) - although those don't yield much gold.
    My net gain averages at about 80k/month assuming I only spend gold on repairs.
    I don't play AH.

As for average player, my guess is 25-50k. Gold isn't too hard to get from levelling alone, but it's hard to keep for lots of people.

Quote Originally Posted by connectz View Post
    I was just thinking, with all the inflation over the years how much gold the average player has
    Probably far less than most people here think. Just look back at the first game-time-for-gold threads and the wild guesses within.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakazz View Post
    I'm sitting at around 50k at usual... a friend of mine plays the auction house game once or twice a week and is sitting at over 1mio ._.
    Like I said, it's more about whether you intend to spend less gold than you acquire, or not. Spending less than you make is how you get gold in WoW. It's a play style. Spending 1M takes about 2 minutes at the AH. Not spending 1M while you make it takes at least a few months.

Up until WOD, keeping 5k+ gold was essentially only to buy whatever I needed that was above that. Since WOD, I'm up over 500k just passively playing Garrison craft and not even playing the game. Just log in 15-20 minutes and do garrison stuff out of habit then log out for the rest of the day. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyr View Post
    i didn't see anything that says "active" players. most people quit so they would be average
    so do we also count people with multiple accounts, trial accounts, accounts for scamming, accounts for gold selling, accounts for selling pvp/rbg/arena/raid/challenge mode boosts. i guess since wow has over 100m accounts on average people have fuck all gold.

you're not really a wow player, if you're not playing wow.

i played diablo 3 a lot when it came out, haven't played it in over a year, am i still a diablo 3 player, or ex diablo 3 player, and should my paragon level count towards the average if the average were taken for paragon levels, when i've only played 1 of it's 4 seasons. where is the line drawn for "average player" when they're not even currently playing.

OT: I don't understand how people would struggle to keep above 10k, when you can farm Cata raids and make a tidy amount in just a couple hours/week.
    It being easy to get gold, doesn't mean people want to spend the time and energy doing the things needed to get it.

Yeah, I CAN go and clear the old raids to make money, but that takes a pretty decent amount of time that I'd rather spend doing other stuff. I don't need mountains of gold to play alts and do LFR and the occasional normal.