My first SSD - Few questions

I plan to spend my Friday night doing a fresh install on my SSD (Samsung 840 250G Evo if it matters) with a HDD for storage.

Installation of the OS and only keeping what I need on the SSD is pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I have been doing some research but am getting conflicting answers.

What should I put on the SSD?

- I was planning on throwing my browser on there.
    - Is it worth putting programs such as the Blizzard Launcher, Steam, Origin on the SSD while keeping the keeping the games on the HDD? Or should I do it the other way around?
    - Should I install things like Java, Flash on my SSD?

I understand that an SSD helps with load times and not FPS. That being said I feel it's silly to put WoW on a SSD but maybe beefier games Like Witcher 3, Fallout 4 etc?

My main worry is configuring my SSD properly, I came across this guide but I noticed it four years old. Will the CD that is included do most of the hard set up for me, or should I follow the guide I mentioned? If this guide is really out of date can anyone recommend another guide?

Any tips and wisdom that can be passed down would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Aux; 2015-10-29 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to include SSD size derp

10+ Year Old Account
    personally i put anything on my SSD that i used regularly. browser, OS, games, and a few other things.

older games that i only play once in a while (or where load times arent important), videos/music/pics, programs that i only use rarely went to my HDD.

if you bought a big enough SSD (250 gigs or more) then you should be fine. i doubt it will be much longer before we phase out HDD's altogether. im already planning on getting a new SSD with more capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Don't worry about it too much. Whatever you do is fine. As long as your OS is up to date is should be fine now-adays.

Personally I let most programs install on the SSD, games and data and music and movies and stuff on the HDD.

Since games are gigantic I put most of them on the HDD except for whatever couple of games I'm playing the most of. If you know how to create symlinks that's the easiest way imo. I just let them all install on the HDD and then symlink my popular games onto the SDD. Even though many games can be moved without having to reinstall, this method insures that I never have to reinstall anything. I just re-link it to the other drive again. The OS is never the wiser, since it never thinks it moved.

The only time it slows you down, is once, for a second, if the HDD has spun itself to sleep. The HDD spins up and the OS follows the symlink back to the SDD. From that point forward it's just as fast.

Unless you are going to put most of your games on the SDD, don't put launchers like Steam there. Put Steam wherever you are going to let most of your games reside. This way you only have to change the installation path of a couple games, instead of almost all of them.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2015-10-29 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    To keep it simple, install o/s, all applications/drivers that come with mobo/gpu and games you mostly play. You can have half a dozen of "big" games in it no problems. Just try to have free space under 180-200gb cause it will get slower and slower after 70-80% capacity.