Enhancement - Do you recommend Hekili?

711 Enhancement shaman here, just started mythic raiding. I've only been playing again for about a month, but I find myself struggling to keep up in dps against hunters, mages, dks, almost everything. My DPS isn't bad. It just isn't higher tier.

I've been using Hekili to optimize my rotation. Is this starting a bad habit? Do the better enhance shamans know what abilities to use without staring at something like Hekili?

Just curious here..

Deleted
    I would recommend just setting up some weakauras / tellmewhen. The priority list is so simple as Enhancement and the main focus is to never have Stormstrike / Lava Lash capped. So just going over how you can set up your UI can improve your gameplay alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumblegut View Post
    711 Enhancement shaman here, just started mythic raiding. I've only been playing again for about a month, but I find myself struggling to keep up in dps against hunters, mages, dks, almost everything. My DPS isn't bad. It just isn't higher tier.

I've been using Hekili to optimize my rotation. Is this starting a bad habit? Do the better enhance shamans know what abilities to use without staring at something like Hekili?

Just curious here..
    Hekili is fine and it doesn't develop any bad habits you won't be able to get out of. You will obviously get more optimized performance out of knowing things and executing them yourself, but for the purposes of getting back to being comfortable with the spec and having some reassurance as to what you're doing will likely serve you better than trying to brute force the learning process without addons such as that.

Hekili's ability to help you with DPS is a bell curve. If you're really struggling to keep up with the rotation, it will help you, but it reaches a point where eventually you can do more by having better judgement than Hekili's logic.

If you're new to the spec and are going to be mythic raiding then Hekili's real value is letting you pay less attention to your buffs/debuffs/rotation and more attention to the fight mechanics.
    Last edited by Tore; 2015-10-31 at 05:31 AM.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend the addon in two situations.

1. Youre a new player, new to the spec and/or find it overwhelming. Its a fantastic addon that will let you perform very well.

2. I find the addon useful even as a 7 year veteran of the spec. Being in Heroic/Mythic raiding it can sometimes be very hectic, lets say your on Archimonde, youe just come out of the netherphase, infernals fucking everywhere, shit is insane. I find the addon useful to glance at and get my bearings. I find it incredibly useful to have in the background, somewhere a little less prominent (mines alphaed out a little bit top of my screen). I really find it useful to have as a "reset" tool in hectic moments.

Its not going to give you bad habits. Its one of the better addons out there and as a former user of Shock and Awe I think it even performs better than that did.

But you have to understand their limitations. Its not going to be able to make that decision for you based on the environment if pressing X is better than Y. IE, should you save or burn those MW stacks. Should you hold that lava lash. etc. These are the habits that you will learn by playing the class, that the addon cannot predict.

The only bad habit I can see you picking up and something people do with or without the addon is using shit like Frost Shock when SS/LL is .5 of a GCD away. But thats something you will pick up with time and is something that the addon wont be able to teach you and that is using your own judgement when something is or isnt worth using.

Id recommend Hekili and some good Weak Auras, especially for MW tracking.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2015-10-31 at 06:58 AM.

Deleted
    Don't sweat not being able to keep up with other classes, it's how it is at the moment no matter how experienced you are at Enhance. Hekili is an excellent addon, i don't use it for enhance as i've been playing the spec for a decade, but i used it to learn WW. Eventually you'll find yourself moving ahead of the addon and that's when you know you no longer need it.

Deleted
    It's good addon, but for me a bit too messy. It's good for using Frost Shock, with glyph sometimes I could use 2 Frost Shocks but only did 1.
    Unfortunately, when lava lash reset it's cooldown, together with frost shock spam and Maelstrom charges it's very dynamic. For me it's too chaotic with addon.

I used to use weak auras to make icons with spell cooldowns and melee range tracker.

That's pretty cool that you geared up to 711 in a month.

I'm with the consensus that it can be a good set of training wheels to get you rolling. But I'd still recommend that you read the guides on this forum and on icy veins that explain not only the priority, but the class mechanics as a whole. I feel that my play level often increases the more I truly understand not just what I'm doing, but also WHY I'm doing it. When I'm learning a new class, I'll read the guides and then go play for a couple days. Then I'll go back and read the guides AGAIN. I'll absorb even more. Then I'll go raid again. I rinse and repeat this process for a while until I feel like I truly understand the class and could probably write a mini-guide.

15+ Year Old Account
    to be honest i used it after 10 years and perfect knowing of rotation just for cd tracking, nowhere is sayed you have to keep strictly to what it sugest using your own judgement is allways good idea, and with proper configuration it can show 4, 5 or more skills ahead so its decent cd tracker with nice sugestions for the days when you are just tired or there is to much going on around you
    etleast thats my opinion

"Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"

I occasionally recommend it.
    Hekili of <Turbo Cyborg Ninjas>
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon for Shamans, Paladins, Monks, and Hunters.

User Guides:
    Getting Started with Hekili
    Starting from SimulationCraft (How to Import SimC APLs)

would definately highly recommend hekili for getting your priority spells sorted and rotation early on if you are new to the class

also a shoutout to both wordup and hekili for their ongoing support to enhance shamans all around the world during the 'tough' period of end of black foundry prog and early hellfire citadel

one thing i use is having a weak aura to show when your lava lash resets early - extremely handy when you are getting ready for a aoe burst on some of those aoe fights were you know the adds will be alive for 2 gcd's or less

also as an enhance shaman its not always about how it all looks on the meters overall - during prog on pretty much all the fights in HFC its about how much burst a certain add/boss can go down - also if played well you have a very good toolkit to be very mobile and survive for a very long time and utilise your totems (grounding and windwalk) - and have the best interrupt out of all the classes / specs in the game due to its cooldown and its range (so focus target macros is good too)

Deleted
    As an ex Mythic BRF Enhancement raider, used Hekili since start of WoD and still today use it for my current Elemental spec as a 13/13 Mythic HFC raider. I've made top warcraftlog rankings in WoD, and the addon has certainly helped me achieve that. It's such a strong addon compared to any other addons.

I strongly recommend it to any DPS shaman. You'll never look at your actionbars ever again, if you use this rotation addon with some basic Cooldown tracking WeakAura/TellMeWhen strings to support Hekili.
    Last edited by mmocc7deeae336; 2015-11-06 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfury View Post
    one thing i use is having a weak aura to show when your lava lash resets early - extremely handy when you are getting ready for a aoe burst on some of those aoe fights were you know the adds will be alive for 2 gcd's or less
    Hmm, I like this. I'm taking note for the Legion release, assuming we still have that mechanic. I'd like to add a feature to show some indication when a special class proc occurs, probably a quick border animation on the primary icon. Thoughts?
    Hekili of <Turbo Cyborg Ninjas>
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon for Shamans, Paladins, Monks, and Hunters.

User Guides:
    Getting Started with Hekili
    Starting from SimulationCraft (How to Import SimC APLs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hekili View Post
    Hmm, I like this. I'm taking note for the Legion release, assuming we still have that mechanic. I'd like to add a feature to show some indication when a special class proc occurs, probably a quick border animation on the primary icon. Thoughts?
    Would be good IMO.
    H Tichondrius - V I S C E R A L