Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can they just stop? Please?

It's fine to make your own movie with female leads, but stop with the fucking remakes. We get it, women need more roles in Hollywood, I agree. But for gods sake, don't do it by taking over franchises that have already been established.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspire View Post
    Soo what I'm taking from this is that women can't create new interesting characters or stories so they will just leech off of the men who put in the work?

- - - Updated - - -

If it bombs it'll be because of women hating not because it was a lazy gender swap or a crappy remake.
    Bingo, that's what pisses me off. No one wants a lazy gender swap. Make your own damn material.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    True, but the point that the Ghostbusters isn't a distinctly male premise is a valid one. They were underachieving grant funded college professors, basically, who took a flyer on their own scientific discovery in the spirit of entrepreneurship. Women do that, too.

"Ocean's Eleven" is always going to be a very male, very macho Rat Pack based concept. A female fronted heist movie, a female fronted con movie, I'm all for it, I just don't think the things that made "Ocean's" work would work with an all female crew.
    Ghostbusters, at it's core, is a problem solving, hunter/gather adventure. Those themes don't play well to female leads.

It's like remaking "Fried Green Tomatoes", or "Steel Magnolias" and cast them with men.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Ghostbusters, at it's core, is a problem solving, hunter/gather adventure. Those themes don't play well to female leads.
    This seems like bait but...why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    This seems like bait but...why not?
    Can you be less obtuse and ask a question or make a statement that someone can actually respond to?

Deleted
    Can you be less obtuse and ask a question or make a statement that someone can actually respond to?
    I'm not sure how to be much clearer. What about problem solving and adventuring doesn't work with female leads? Haven't you ever heard of the action girl trope?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salt was one of the few good movies with a female lead that I've watched. Hunger Games to some extent as well. The first Divergent movie was really good also.

Trying to think of others...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    True, but the point that the Ghostbusters isn't a distinctly male premise is a valid one. They were underachieving grant funded college professors, basically, who took a flyer on their own scientific discovery in the spirit of entrepreneurship. Women do that, too.

"Ocean's Eleven" is always going to be a very male, very macho Rat Pack based concept. A female fronted heist movie, a female fronted con movie, I'm all for it, I just don't think the things that made "Ocean's" work would work with an all female crew.
    I agree.

My feeling is that replacing male characters with females in remakes is a symptom of a film industry that is out of fresh ideas rather than an attempt to address any sort of social issues.

Deleted
    Uhh, okay...?
    That will surely solve the gender inequality.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I'm not sure how to be much clearer. What about problem solving and adventuring doesn't work with female leads? Haven't you ever heard of the action girl trope?
    Yeah, of course.

The majority are terrible, they bomb. They don't work.

It simply is not something that the majority of film goers want to see, historically.

There are few females that can break that barrier and carry that movie.

What??? It sounds like you've never actually seen Ghostbusters.

It was a simple question. What is it about problem solving and adventure that you think don't play well with female leads? Or do you live in a different universe were Lara Croft hasn't been around for decades?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It was a simple question. What is it about problem solving and adventure that you think don't play well with female leads? Or do you live in a different universe were Lara Croft hasn't been around for decades?
    So one movie in 10 years is your go to for evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What??? It sounds like you've never actually seen Ghostbusters.
    What do you mean? His point is valid..

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Can they just stop? Please?

It's fine to make your own movie with female leads, but stop with the fucking remakes. We get it, women need more roles in Hollywood, I agree. But for gods sake, don't do it by taking over franchises that have already been established.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo, that's what pisses me off. No one wants a lazy gender swap. Make your own damn material.
    Making good female characters is impossible now.

Every woman character has to mean something, has to represent something, women do not get to just be a person in a situation.

Deleted
    Yeah, of course.

The majority are terrible, they bomb. They don't work.

It simply is not something that the majority of film goers want to see, historically.

There are few females that can break that barrier and carry that movie.
    You can't just state causation like that. It's just as (in my view more) likely that the films bomb because execs have no confidence in female lead films. I mean they made the main plot of the Cat Woman film about super skin cream. That's the sort of rubbish female lead films have to fight against.

But there is nothing inherent in female characters that stops them from being leads. There are plenty of badass women in fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like strong female leads sometimes, yes. But I DESPISE reboots.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So one movie in 10 years is your go to for evidence.
    Still refuse to answer the question, eh? Sweet.

Movies aren't the only forms of entertainment, you know. And games have become more and more cinematic, so I don't know why you think pretending they don't exist is helpful.

Oh it's Tennisace and Luftmangle!
    Might as well close the thread now.

Fuck the new Ghostbusters movie. They aren't the Ghostbusters. I don't care that they are women, if it isn't Bill, Dan, Ernie and Harold, it isn't the Ghostbusters.

I am never very easy with the whole gender swap thing. To me it seems ideologically motivated. It seems lazy. Even insulting to an extent:

"Hey, we need more women in leads to fill the quotas"
    "How will we go about creating a female lead character?"
    "Lets write a male character, then at the end change it to a woman"
    "Genius!"

I have no issue with female leads. Ripley is one of my all time favourite characters. I won't use the term female character, I think to only look at them through their sex is insulting to the character, she was a badass, who just also happened to be a woman- if you think the most noteworthy thing about her was that she was a she, I find that sad.

They could do a lot worse than finally making a Black Widow movie. I have heard claims that they don't because they don't know how to make a good female character, or that they aren't sure that it would fly. On the second point, bullshit, make that film and I am there to see it, she is awesome. On the first point, I don't think this approach of using another character who is male, then gender swapping is the way to go about it.

It is like saying "the only reason this character is good, is because it was created as a man". Sure, it helps with quotas. It spoils the character for me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

if they're remaking these films with women leads, then i expect all the people that get shot/die bad guy etc are also women.

otherwise this is basically feminazi man hating films.