Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Did you look it up before writing, or are you now the most impressive poster on MMO-C? :P
    I read the books two decades ago, and I've loved Drizzt ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tsun God View Post
    The Icewind Dale Trilogy was written before the Dark Elf Trilogy.
    Yes, but the Dark Elf is a prequel trilogy to the Icewind Dale, and Drizzt is from Menzoberranzan, and since the discussion was about where Drizzt is from, that's all that matters.

This is what it was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Drizzdt from Icewind Dale
    He's from Menzoberranzan, not from Icewind Dale.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2015-11-01 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    He's from Menzoberranzan, not from Icewind Dale.
    "Gandalf is from the Hobbit, not Lord of the Rings!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tsun God View Post
    On Eragon: After he got that huge back scar that hampered him immensely, the dragon race gifted him a new body, effectively making him half-human and half-elven. He was born fully human, yes, but by the middle of the series is no longer such.
    I'd argue that doesn't really count, I see that more as a magical modification and less of a change of his actual race, but fair enough.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Say you're an average human male in a fantasy world strolling through the forest. Suddenly, from the corner of your eye you see something jump down from a tree. You turn to look and are faced with this:

...that's why there are so many half-elves.
    Came here to say this.

I think in general Elven people are like "fucking up". Cleaner, smarter, stronger, etc. So they are sought after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    People fucking sheep, horses and dogs are peculiarly common. So fucking an elf is a no-brainer.
    hehe, I needed that laugh =D

Because they are more relatable to the reader but still get that power boost(usually) of being more than human. Its the reason why the twilight vampires are sparkly daywalkers and not Nosferatu looking mother fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Say you're an average human male in a fantasy world strolling through the forest. Suddenly, from the corner of your eye you see something jump down from a tree. You turn to look and are faced with this:

...that's why there are so many half-elves.
    I dub this post the winner!
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Are half-race heroes really that common though ?

How many half-dwarves can you name ? Even if they can't commonly crossbreed, there should be at least a few series that buck the norm and say they can, so there should be some.

Honestly, aside from Tanis, I can't really think of many front & center halfbreeds. Occasionally as supporting characters, but usually as more tangential love-interests or objects of pity.

Aside from the more common tropes, I think that half-humans in general are a way to take the fantastical, but make it more accessible and easier to understand by injecting it with a bit of humanity. And if the Buffyverse is any indication, people LOVE to find that spark of humanity in everything.

If you stick with "just elves", than to keep their mystique, they have to have certain aspects that are generally beyond comprehension, because "as a human" the reader shouldn't be able to really understand that. I think Tolkien had a pretty firm grasp on that, but more recent authors kinda ignore that part of fantasy, and just let everything act the same as humans.... even if they're immortal, or lived a couple thousand years or so.

RA Salvatore's bucked that trend a little, (altho even he is restrained from straying too much from that in his unowned d&d characters). When he writes of dragons & demons, they are truly foreign beings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    How many half-dwarves can you name ? Even if they can't commonly crossbreed, there should be at least a few series that buck the norm and say they can, so there should be some.
    Tom Cruise, Napoleon, All F1 drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Because men want to fuck things with pointy ears.

/thread
    /thread indeed

Or just anything resembling woman.