Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There are a couple advantages. The first is granularity - within the relevant temperature ranges, Fahrenheit gives twice as many digits without the use of fractions.
    During which practical circumstances do you need to use fractions of a Celsius but not in Fahrenheit?

Deleted
    Does it strike you as odd that the backwards nations that use these just happen to be home to the most scientifically advanced institutions on Earth?
    Doesn't it strike you as odd that all these institutions you speak of exclusively use metric?

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Doesn't it strike you as odd that all these institutions you speak of exclusively use metric?
    They do? No one at Harvard or Cal Tech ever orders a pint or says, "man, it's like 90 degrees outside"? That's weird.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are a couple advantages. The first is granularity - within the relevant temperature ranges, Fahrenheit gives twice as many digits without the use of fractions.
    Nothing to do with practical usage of either scale.

The other is that the numbers make for a better sliding scale of temperatures people actually experience, wherein 0 is very cold and 100 is very hot.
    How about 0 being the freezing point of water? It's a lot more intuitive to know whether everything is freezing and slippery outside.

Sure, if you're accustomed to Celsius growing up, then -10 and 37 will work just as well, but from a purely intuitive standpoint, it's easier to relate to 0 and 100.

This doesn't really matter, but for everyday use, there's no downside to Fahrenheit.
    Guess what. The temperature goes even down to -40C here during winters. Guess how much is that in F? -40F. Mind blown.

Fahrenheit is just plain bad. It wasn't even designed in a logical way, it's pretty much completely arbitrary.

- - - Updated - - -

They do? No one at Harvard or Cal Tech ever orders a pint or says, "man, it's like 90 degrees outside"? That's weird.
    You haven't really understood the function of those institutions if you think that's their day job - drinking beer and wondering the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    but from a purely intuitive standpoint, it's easier to relate to 0 and 100.
    That's exactly why Celsius is better. 0 for freezing, 100 for boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You haven't really understood the function of those institutions if you think that's their day job - drinking beer and wondering the weather.
    Harvard and Cal Tech arent really "all that" outside of Murica. In the free world they are considered daddy boys.

Quote Originally Posted by staal View Post
    Harvard and Cal Tech arent really "all that" outside of Murica. In the free world they are considered daddy boys.
    This is hilarious, do go on! If you think Harvard isn't "all that", you're flatly ignorant about scientific research.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing to do with practical usage of either scale.

How about 0 being the freezing point of water? It's a lot more intuitive to know whether everything is freezing and slippery outside.

Guess what. The temperature goes even down to -40C here during winters. Guess how much is that in F? -40F. Mind blown.

Fahrenheit is just plain bad. It wasn't even designed in a logical way, it's pretty much completely arbitrary.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a spectacularly silly argument - if you really think it matters in any meaningful sense, you're thoroughly mistaken. For most people, under most circumstances, there is no meaningful difference between usage of either scale. Many people find Fahrenheit intuitive for temperatures they commonly encounter. The weird defensiveness of Celsius is some sort of weird tribal thing that I just don't get (maybe because I'm American and used to do science for a living, so both scales are comfortable and intuitive for me).

10+ Year Old Account

Does it strike you as odd that the backwards nations that use these just happen to be home to the most scientifically advanced institutions on Earth?
    Does it strike you as odd that scientists in the US utilize the metric system in all cases, because thats what the rest of the scientific world utilizes?
    Last edited by yoma; 2015-11-01 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Was beaten to it by Lei Shi.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Does it strike you as odd that scientists in the US utilize the metric system in all cases, because thats what the rest of the scientific world utilizes?
    It's also what the rest of the civilian world uses. Same with 24 hour clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    No, it doesn't strike me as odd, and no, that's not the reason that American scientists use metric. What does strike me as odd is how bothered some Europeans are by the common parlance of another country not being the same as their own.

Deleted
    Many Americans find Fahrenheit intuitive for temperatures they commonly encounter. The weird defensiveness of Fahrenheit is some sort of weird tribal thing that I just don't get.
    Fixed that for you.

Is anyone else amused by people insisting that scientists would never use Fahrenheit in a thread which links to NASA using Fahrenheit? I know I am!

Deleted

Adapt!

This is hilarious, do go on! If you think Harvard isn't "all that", you're flatly ignorant about scientific research.
    Well money is the key factor. If it were free and open for everyone I would call it a good school.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a spectacularly silly argument - if you really think it matters in any meaningful sense, you're thoroughly mistaken. For most people, under most circumstances, there is no meaningful difference between usage of either scale. Many people find Fahrenheit intuitive for temperatures they commonly encounter.
    Silly argument? Yours is silly. The only place where Fahrenheit might make more sense is a rainforest. Most people don't live in rainforests.
    The weird defensiveness of Celsius is some sort of weird tribal thing that I just don't get (maybe because I'm American and used to do science for a living, so both scales are comfortable and intuitive for me).
    The weird defensiveness of Fahrenheit is some sort of weird tribal thing that the most of the world don't get. That scale is just ridiculously inferior to Celsius in every possible way.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Well money is the key factor. If it were free and open for everyone I would call it a good school.
    Harvard provides more financial aid than a typical institution by a wide margin. It is free for people that qualify academically and don't have the funds. No one fails to go to Harvard because they don't have tuition money.

I'm sure they'll be deeply upset that you don't think they're a "good school" though.

- - - Updated - - -

Silly argument? Yours is silly. The only place where Fahrenheit might make more sense is a rainforest. Most people don't live in rainforests.

The weird defensiveness of Fahrenheit is some sort of weird tribal thing that the most of the world don't get. That scale is just ridiculously inferior to Celsius in every possible way.
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about - really, "ridiculously inferior"? It measures the same thing and is easy to interpret for anyone familiar with it. The practical advantages to either is minimal. The only relevant advantage under most circumstances is standardization. Aside from that, it just doesn't matter.

Harvard provides more financial aid than a typical institution by a wide margin. It is free for people that qualify academically and don't have the funds. No one fails to go to Harvard because they don't have tuition money.

I'm sure they'll be deeply upset that you don't think they're a "good school" though.
    I couldnt care less what they think. Schools should be free and state financed. Financial aid dont mean shit in a time when the school dont have money. Tuitons fees for 45k USD isnt actually free.
    Last edited by Redasurc; 2015-11-01 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post

Adapt!
    That map is wrong as Britain still uses the Imperial System for some measurements, e.g. miles, acres, pints.

To be even more pedantic, the USA (and presumably Liberia) use the US system, not the Imperial System.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    I'm curious as to people who use the metric system as their countries measurement. What size ratchet wrenches do you guys use?
    Amusing since even American cars are manufactured using the metric system. Novel concept that all of the biggest industries in the world have switched to metric measurements.

I couldnt care less what they think. Schools should be free and state financed. Financial aid dont mean shit in a time when the school dont have money. Tuitons fees for 45k USD isnt actually free.
    Yeah, so you're super ignorant about how tuition at Harvard works. I just explained it to you, but keep on keeping on!

It's weird that people from places with grossly inferior institutions are so inclined to provide advice about how the top universities in the world should operate though. You think about teaching Apple the right way to make electronics as well!