Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I kinda assume the main obstacle is biology, the main difference between this planet and another planet exactly like it, is that there has been no contact between the 2 over their entire history.

for the most part aliens coming here, we going there, it doesn't matter, if you can't integrate or adapt to the conditions and somehow make yourself immune to the alien diseases viruses and bacteria, your not gunna get very far anyway.

if you imagine the planet as a body, that works well within its self contained system, taken the full 3-4 billion years to attain that synergy, and then you throw a foreign body into the mix. it will just get attacked by every microscopic germ there is of which they very well may not have developed an immunity to. for all we know even something like the common cold could be devastating to an alien race. but in the end its all hypothetical, getting past the biology barrier, integrating yourself with alien flora and fauna isn't going to happen instantaneously.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-11-01 at 04:45 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    People have this naïve notion that harvesting the planet for resources by aliens is somehow practical. The fact is, its not. You can more easily find similar resources in far greater quantities on other planetary bodies than on earth. There are for example asteroids floating around in the solar system that contain more metals than the entire population of earths history have ever mined. They have planets made up of almost entirely of ice and diamond, etc.

Now lets assume for a moment that there are hostile aliens and they do invade. They are most likely looking to displace humans for colonization rather that resource harvesting but even this is a stretch. The earth is actually a toxic environment being that its atmosphere contains high levels of oxygen. Its entirely likely and probable that alien life forms on other planets have different atmosphere makeup than we do, making earth a toxic environment for them to live in. They would have to change that before colonizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Their technology might be different but humanity still has a fair chance of defending itself.
    That's fairly impossible.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Odds are that the speed of light is it, we can't go any faster. And if that's true very few aliens are going to want to waste tens of thousands of years to come visit us. If this is true, it's kind of sad cause a lot of us wanted to explore the galaxy.

Well find out if there are aliens over the next few decades with all of these SETI like experiments going on now.
    even sub speed of light travel means one species can colonize the galaxy in 2 millionish years with just a spacecraft that can keep people alive.

A lot of time for an individual but geologically nothing.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    why would any alien race want to invade earth? the greatest argument for alien intelligence is that they haven't contacted humans.
    Why would they want to contact a bunch of idiot humans with how we treat each other they probably go screw this and send a big ass asteroid our way..

10+ Year Old Account
    if asari invaded i'd welcome them with open arms. they can uplift our society anytime.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'd watch it on TV, then get bored and watch something else.
    me 100%

/10 chars

They would land in a forest and engage teddy bears in frivolous guerrilla warfare that renders their superior technology obsolete. That's how evil galactic empires do.

The sjws on this forum would keep on calling men the evil and especially white men the devil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Well if there were ever an invasion, I'd think it's for some personal gain like resource; basically like how every time the human race invaded another.

As I've always said due to their advanced technology their "medical practice for dummies" book would contain medical information that would be impossible for us to say no, but would be of absolutely no consequence for them to disclose (i.e. cure for all diseases, etc) and we would likely be willing to trade a ridiculous amount of resources to obtain it.

So they'd essentially give us their equivalent to some musty old tome they pulled from the 10 cent book shelf in a thrift store, for whatever the hell they wanted from us (including the labour to harvest it and load it onto their ship).

Thus there would be absolutely no risk to them, they wouldn't risk damaging any of the resources they wanted, they wouldn't have to lift a damn finger.

Far more likely scenario than hostile invasion.

this is why alien invasion movies or tv shows are completely worthless. no matter what reason you conjure up, aliens would never need to physically invade or put themselves in harms way.

do they want to kill us? million ways to do that without coming here. enslave us? they still don't have to show up. steal our shit? again, they don't have to step foot on the planet.

there are legitimate reasons why an alien might visit earth, but anything having to do with the ridiculous invasion nonsense is way off base. if aliens are hostile then we're fucked. there's no comeback. we aren't gonna upload a virus to their mother ship or spray them with water.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2015-11-01 at 05:27 PM.

i wouldn't enlist in the army for any reason. winning or losing, i'll just live with my family and hope we all don't die. my brother would probably enlist.

be nice if they were taking some of us, to keep us on display or something. kinda like zoo animals. i'd willingly go for that, i think.

1: Probably, but after that an organization will be formed to keep the entire world in check.
    2: Yes, and then run behind enemy lines, steal their secrets and become the new emperor of the galaxy!

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    be nice if they were taking some of us, to keep us on display or something. kinda like zoo animals. i'd willingly go for that, i think.
    Interesting, so many people would choose death.

If hostile aliens had the capability to travel to earth they would probably exterminate us before we even knew what was happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    if asari invaded i'd welcome them with open arms. they can uplift our society anytime.
    I would like that as well. That kind of inspires me...

LIST OF FICTIONAL ALIEN INVASIONS I WOULD BE OKAY WITH:

Asari (Mass Effect)

Orcs (Duh)

Draenei (Also duh)

The aliens from Contact

Furon (Destroy All Humans!)

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I would like that as well. That kind of inspires me...

LIST OF FICTIONAL ALIEN INVASIONS I WOULD BE OKAY WITH:

Asari (Mass Effect)

Orcs (Duh)

Draenei (Also duh)

The aliens from Contact

Furon (Destroy All Humans!)
    I get Asari and Draenei, but why Orcs?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Interesting, so many people would choose death.
    if i'm living as a zoo animal, i'm still alive at least.

also, there's individuals who see zoo animals and think "i wanna fuck that" in humanity... maybe i'd get lucky and the aliens would have perverts as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I get Asari and Draenei, but why Orcs?
    idk about him, but i find orcs insanely sexy. more sexy than asari, at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    OP says humanity has a good chance to defend, meaning they don't have the tech to just do that.
    Any species that is able to traverse the distances between the stars without hitting asteroids, comets etc obviously has a very good grasp of celestial mechanics and has the ability to move objects out of their way, otherwise they would not be able to get here, and would probably be destroyed by the first bit of dust that they hit travelling at nearly or exceeding the speed of light, so the ability to alter a comet's course so it intersected the earth's would be a relatively simple one.

Any alien space ship able to make it here from any other star system and that wanted to take the planet would be able to do so. and there would not be a damn thing that anyone could do about it.

Humans somehow become extremely innovative in war-times, lots of tech nowadays has its roots in military usage - Computer (turing machine during ww2), Drones (Drones used in warfare) etc etc.
    Maybe we'd finally develop interstellar travel capabilities if under the threat of extinction (And then go extinct soon after when the aliens slaughter us).
    Last edited by CalasEU; 2015-11-01 at 07:40 PM.