Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Nope. I'd provide assistance to the aliens if they accepted it, if not I'd just get killed by them or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korialstrasz, Aman'thul, Proudmoore, Khaz'goroth, Stormrage, Lightbringer and Aerie Peak
    If aliens reached us they aren't after Earth's natural resources--it doesnt make sense because they can just mine asteroids or Titan (Saturn's moon). Even oxygen was found in a comet just this week. I'll be more worried aliens invaded Earth just to subjugate its people for manual labor or thought processes (I always believed that an advanced civilization will find sentient, learned species are more valuable than material things).
    Last edited by Kanael; 2015-11-02 at 05:11 PM. Reason: oxygen was found in a comet, not asteroid
    i7-4770k, Noctua NHD15, 16gb RipjawsX, Asus Z87A mobo, GTX 970 Palit, Samsung EVO 240GB SSD, WDC Black 1TB, Corsair HX850, XigmatekTalon case, Logitech G910 keyboard/G502 mouse.

I'm happy to help to test paladin-related stuff. I have 6 Ret pallies.

Also currently playing: S4 HC Crusader @ Diablo 3: RoS and SC2: Legacy of the Void

10+ Year Old Account
    If hostile, space-traveling aliens wanted to wipe us out and take all of our resources, they woulfn't have to invade to do so. We'd be gone before we even knew what was happening.

If they are peaceful, probably just relocate us and teach us a few new things. #butwestillneedyourplanet

But the reality is the most interesting stuff on this planet that an alien civilization would want is humans or some other biomatter. 100% of earth matter is found elsewhere in abundance. I highly doubt a civilization capable of light-year travel would "need" our planet. Even a Type-2 Civilization wouldn't necessarily need our planet, they'd rather need our Sun.
    Last edited by Ironsquidlol; 2015-11-02 at 05:18 PM.

Well if there were ever an Alien Invasion, I think 'Mars Attacks!' would be most accurate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    If an alien race invaded the earth with the sole purpose of wiping us out and making good on the resources that our planet had.
    Their technology might be different but humanity still has a fair chance of defending itself.
    1. Would this unify the planet (more or less) and stop feuds between countries?
    2. Would you enlist to help defend the planet if the odds were pretty even?
    You're implying we'd even remotely be capable of mounting a resistance towards a race capable of not only traveling here but also capable of coming here to start a war. We'd lose instantly. There wouldn't be a war. It would be over in days. They wouldn't hold back, there would be no reservations. They could gas our entire planet with a viral agent genetically design to kill humans and we.d all be gone. Maybe they'd use drones or robots to bombard us from orbit and we'd be able to do absolutely nothing about it. They could use self replicating nanomachines.
    Best thing we could do is just bend over and give them what they want and hope they like us.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2015-11-02 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is totally hypothetical but honestly if they have the tech to even get here there is no way we are stopping anything they throw at us.

To play along though. No way would we unite. This isn't the movies and people would see it as the end of the world and society would collapse in hours. And no I don't see myself enlisting.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    If an alien race invaded the earth with the sole purpose of wiping us out and making good on the resources that our planet had.
    Their technology might be different but humanity still has a fair chance of defending itself.
    1. Would this unify the planet (more or less) and stop feuds between countries?
    2. Would you enlist to help defend the planet if the odds were pretty even?
    Er, the fact that they are able to invade from another solar system (potentially from many solar systems away) means, by default, that their technology is far superior to our own. Those movie invasion movies are horribly stupid in that regard.

So, while it probably would unify the planet for the length of the invasion, you would be enlisting based on a lie (that you have a snowball's chance in hell).

Important question: Are they taking over, or are they wiping us out?

If they are wiping us out, you might as well go down fighting.

If they are taking over, being a mindless idiot and fighting with tools that have zero chance of being effective isn't doing yourself, your family or humanity any good. We should be biding our time and start to work on underground movements to keep our children taught to fight back in the future while we figure out how to use their technology to our benefit. Short-term thinking leads to the death of humanity; long-term thinking leads to eventual victory.

If Hostile Aliens invaded the earth...

... they would attack USA first(and maybe only). It's true, I've seen it in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Exploitbat View Post
    If Hostile Aliens invaded the earth...

... they would attack USA first(and maybe only). It's true, I've seen it in the movies.
    well, we are the greatest nation in the world, makes sense to take out the most powerful target.

I would probably join them. So sick of everyone's bullshit.

What if they came to rape us? but were super sexy, and liked to rape people gently?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, we are the greatest nation in the world, makes sense to take out the most powerful target.
    Powerful ? To them even USA is laughable, so why should aliens care about a difference ?

But if you insist.... it was nice knowing you !
    /wave from europe

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What if they came to rape us? but were super sexy, and liked to rape people gently?
    like "Killing me softly" ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkmankill1 View Post
    I would probably join them. So sick of everyone's bullshit.
    To witness FTL or other advanced technology ? Tempting offer ... i might accept too.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Powerful ? To them even USA is laughable, so why should aliens care about a difference ?

But if you insist.... it was nice knowing you !
    /wave from europe

well, if the sith empire taught me anything, it's a display. even if we're not a threat, we're still the most powerful nation among ourselves. seeing the strongest of us decimated so easily would be a show of force meant to demoralize and sew despair among the people of earth.

and it wouldn't hurt that the only nation even close to posing a threat is gone first, as well. even if we're as ants to them, the US would be one of those big gnarly looking ants among smaller looking ants.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, if the sith empire taught me anything, it's a display. even if we're not a threat, we're still the most powerful nation among ourselves. seeing the strongest of us decimated so easily would be a show of force meant to demoralize and sew despair among the people of earth.

and it wouldn't hurt that the only nation even close to posing a threat is gone first, as well. even if we're as ants to them, the US would be one of those big gnarly looking ants among smaller looking ants.
    If you're stepping on an ant colony you wouldn't care how the individual ants look like.

I used to play XCOM:UFO Defense on the playstation and, though it was difficult at first, after a while I would have a squad of soldiers outfitted with flying suits and flying tanks and plasma rifles and rocket launchers and grenades, and any mission that I went on I pretty much just leveled the map and everything with it

that's what the aliens would do to us, in a way of speaking

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If you're stepping on an ant colony you wouldn't care how the individual ants look like.
    way to completely miss his point

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    why would any alien race want to invade earth? the greatest argument for alien intelligence is that they haven't contacted humans.
    maybe because they can see how fucked up we are as a race, so they just stay the hell away

Quote Originally Posted by Yosef1015 View Post
    maybe because they can see how fucked up we are as a race, so they just stay the hell away
    Just look at yourself. Are you really just going to just submit to this?

I think first world nations would unite with China, while others will countries will lose out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Let's assume these aliens lost their home planet and moved a relatively small portion of their remaining population to massive self sustaining spaceships and have been drifting for generations until finally coming across earth. (Which they had seen 1500 lightyears in the past) Upon reaching earth their original intention was to wipe out our primitive race as they were originally viewing us in the past.
    However they were not aware of how far our military capabilities had come when the reached our planet.

That was my assumption in how it would be a reasonably fair fight. Just so the discussion could take place and not be a simple matter of them flipping a switch and destroying earth.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.