Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New ‘Star Trek’ TV Series Set For 2017 Run On CBS All Access

UPDATED: Streaming… the final frontier. Ever since Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, key players on the Star Trek feature franchise, moved to CBS TV Studios, there had been talk about them resurrecting the studio’s marquee title. Now the long-rumored new Star Trek TV series has become a reality as the first original series on CBS’ digital platform CBS All Access. Shepherded by Kurtzman, who will serve as executive producer, the series will premiere in January 2017 with a preview broadcast on CBS followed by an exclusive run in the U.S. on CBS All Access.

Unlike the ongoing feature franchise, which features the classic Star Trek characters, the new series installment will introduce new characters “seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966″, according to CBS. (I hear because the films are employing the original Star Trek characters they were not available for a TV series.) Kurtzman had quietly been meeting with potential writers for the past few months. CBS Television Studios is the studio. Its sibling, CBS Studios International, will distribute the series for runs on television and multiple platforms around the world.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios.“Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

Kurtzman and Orci have gone their separate ways in features. On the TV side, their company, CBS TV Studios-based Kurtzman/Orci Paper Products, is still intact though Kurtzman is expected to work solo on the Star Trek series as one of the projects under a separate deal with the studio through his Secret Hideout banner. He will executive produce the new Star Trek with K/O’s Heather Kadin.

CBS Corp. had been high on rebooting Star Trek with a new series installment, which had been a goal for the company. The move is clearly designed to boost the company’s upstart streaming platform, CBS All Access. Sony Pictures TV similarly helped usher original programming to sibling Playstation digital platform with the Powers drama series.

The new Star Trek series will run concurrently with the feature franchise. It is not related to the upcoming installment Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The groundbreaking original series, created by Gene Roddenberry, spawned a dozen feature films and five TV series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Source: Deadline

We're finally getting a new Star Trek series! Are you looking forward to it?
    Last edited by Talyrius; 2015-11-02 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
    It's finally returning to TV. Are you looking forward to it?
    It's very, very hard to tell. It looks like it will be a complete reboot, not affiliated with the original nor the new Star Trek.

I think it is quite hard to acquire a new audience - which is crucial for it to be of any success - without pissing off the majority of fans. One major problem is that the optimistic future view of the 60s (and also 80/90s) won't sell. To succeed the series will have to be much darker, I am not sure if I am gonna like that, that won't feel like "Star Trek".
    On the other hand after over a decade of no real "spacecrafting" science fiction series, it might be time for that. Only time will tell if it is really clever to sell it under the Star Trek logo.

I will be looking forward to it, but I won't be too surprised if it is canceled before the third episode.

Deleted
    Well, it depends.

I personally equate Star Trek with the USS Enterprise. Always have, always will. That's what the original series was all about; a single ship out there in the vastness of space, alone, with a legendary crew. And not just any ship, but the most well-known, iconic star ship that there has ever been, the flagship of the Federation. TNG continued this very nicely, and I loved it.

Then came Deep Space Nine and Voyager, and I couldn't care less about those series. DS9 was a story about some random space station at the ass end of space, with characters I definitely didn't like, with a black Wesley, and one of the most boring enemies (Dominion). Voyager was some random ship somewhere. The ship wasn't beautiful. It had no character. The Federation has those kinds of ships a dime a dozen. Both series were such pointless fluff for me that I just couldn't take them seriously. I mean come on, at least TNG had Q. Also, the fact that it's TNG, not Voyager, not DS9, who continued the movie saga, should speak books about what people truly think Star Trek is.

Enterprise was a curious attempt at bridging reality with the Star Trek universe, and as much as I like Braga and Bakula, it didn't really have the wings it needed to. However, it was the story of the USS Enterprise, and it's captain, and even though it got cancelled, and even though it took a more gritty approach at Star Trek, I still feel like it's more to the soul of Star Trek than DS9 and Voyager will ever be.

So... It depends. Is this new series going to have the USS Enterprise? If not, then who cares.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Overall, yes. Star Trek is better suited to a series format. I really don't want Star Wars and Star Wars Lite (aka current Star Trek movies)...let them each be their own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I really don't want Star Wars and Star Wars Lite (aka current Star Trek movies)...
    You had to go there, didn't you?

I propose a new law to make it illegal to mention Star Wars in a Star Trek thread and vice versa.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2015-11-02 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am on the fence. On the one hand, I am excited to see an actual new Trek TV series, but on the other it is being overseen by Kurtzman, one half of the pair responsible for the NuTrek movies so it will almost certainly be set in that universe and in that tone. That's fine for a big summer movie, but not a weekly trek series. It also looks like it is being produced for CPB's new online streaming service. It sounds like it will still at least start on broadcast tv as well, but I could see the fates of the Trek series and the streaming service being tired together and if either one fails, they would both go poof.

I like the idea of a new series, if the Enterprise is on the show doesn't matter one iota. Star Trek was always about the overarching themes and their parallels to current society. That being said, I don't like that its behind a paywall, I have no interest in paying for CBS All Access.

I'd be more interested in this series if it wasn't being done on network television.

I'm probably the only nerd who doesn't like Star Trek in any of its various forms. I watched a little Next Generation but it was barely tolerable. The movies, all of them, were garbage. The only likable character was Spock.

My wife on the other hand, loves Star Trek. She will probably love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I'm probably the only nerd who doesn't like Star Trek in any of its various forms. I watched a little Next Generation but it was barely tolerable. The movies, all of them, were garbage. The only likable character was Spock.

My wife on the other hand, loves Star Trek. She will probably love this.
    Fan of yoda sense I.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Fan of yoda sense I.
    Guilty... SW > ST

Depends on how they do it. If they do the series the way star trek is meant to be then I will welcome it. However if they decide to make it like the new movies then I won't. The new movies are garbage and not what star trek is supposed to be. I hope they do it right.

Guilty... SW > ST
    I happen to like both, but for me its ST > SW. Probably because it was what I was first introduced to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guilty... SW > ST
    I'm the opposite. I like both, but I prefer Star Trek as it's much more rooted in reality. Star Wars is fantasy.
    Last edited by Talyrius; 2015-11-02 at 05:57 PM.

Please be a part of the TNG continuity! Please be a part of the TNG continuity! Please be a part of the TNG continuity!

Looks like it won't be a part of the JJ continuity.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

At the very bottom of the article:
    The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline
    “seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations..."
    As someone who has watched the franchise's all 701 episodes, I can absolutely tell you that this is not going to happen. There may be, at MOST, 50 Star Trek episodes where they actually do this. Some episodes may very well open with the crew heading towards an unknown planet and whatnot, but very rarely is the episode actually about discovering new world and civilizations on those planet; usually it's just a back drop for the typical ST plots that ensue afterwards.

At any rate, I will be interested to see what a 2017 version of Star Trek would look like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Looks like it won't be a part of the JJ continuity.
    As expected. The films were only set in the alternate timeline to allow 'Abrams to take the established names of the original characters and use them in his own stories in a way that did not conflict with the Prime timeline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    Please be a part of the TNG continuity! Please be a part of the TNG continuity! Please be a part of the TNG continuity!
    Most likely, since that is the prime canon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I'd be more interested in this series if it wasn't being done on network television.
    It's CBS; what'd you expect?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    Exactly.

I've posted this idea a few times on these forums in some threads, but here's a series that I'd kind of love to see:

It takes place after the events of TNG, and there's a new flagship model, a new USS Enterprise being built as a brand new prototype ship with all kinds of toys and goodies, after the E-model has been retired, or has been destroyed. Turns out, though, that even in the "perfect society" of Star Trek, corners are being cut, and profits go ahead of safety and so on, and the new prototype, while having all kinds of potential toys and goodies, is a pretty half-assed effort at a ship, with pretty much everything built shoddily and left unfinished. Potential to rebuild them, fix them, and improve upon them, of course.

Wesley Crusher, the wunderkind of TNG, has realized soon after leaving the TNG crew that he kind of peaked at a young age, and due to some personal events and issues has become a complete alcoholic, has used drugs, prostitutes and so on, and has actually hurt the people closest to him in real ways, making him anything but a complete Mary Sue character. However, somehow he digs himself out of his drunken stupor for long enough for his holier-than-thou attitude and pride to get the best of him, and he basically marches to the bigwigs at the Federation, demanding the flagship post for himself.

The people at the Federation don't much like him, although some pity him, and collectively, knowing that the brand new, supposedly "amazing" USS Enterprise is actually a piece of crap, they decide to give it to Crusher, and send him off to some quadrant somewhere to explore or something. Kind of like "out of sight, out of mind."

Off goes Captain Wesley Crusher on board the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-F (although there's an F in the MMO, so I'm not sure, maybe it should be G), and hilarity ensues. Wil Wheaton could bring his own holier-than-thou SJW attitude into the role, although a huge caveat would be that he'd actually have to act well. Then again, William Shatner.

I just hope this new series is going to be at least as good as the one I've imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Exactly.

I've posted this idea a few times on these forums in some threads, but here's a series that I'd kind of love to see:

It takes place after the events of TNG, and there's a new flagship model, a new USS Enterprise being built as a brand new prototype ship with all kinds of toys and goodies, after the E-model has been retired, or has been destroyed. Turns out, though, that even in the "perfect society" of Star Trek, corners are being cut, and profits go ahead of safety and so on, and the new prototype, while having all kinds of potential toys and goodies, is a pretty half-assed effort at a ship, with pretty much everything built shoddily and left unfinished. Potential to rebuild them, fix them, and improve upon them, of course.

Wesley Crusher, the wunderkind of TNG, has realized soon after leaving the TNG crew that he kind of peaked at a young age, and due to some personal events and issues has become a complete alcoholic, has used drugs, prostitutes and so on, and has actually hurt the people closest to him in real ways, making him anything but a complete Mary Sue character. However, somehow he digs himself out of his drunken stupor for long enough for his holier-than-thou attitude and pride to get the best of him, and he basically marches to the bigwigs at the Federation, demanding the flagship post for himself.

The people at the Federation don't much like him, although some pity him, and collectively, knowing that the brand new, supposedly "amazing" USS Enterprise is actually a piece of crap, they decide to give it to Crusher, and send him off to some quadrant somewhere to explore or something. Kind of like "out of sight, out of mind."

Off goes Captain Wesley Crusher on board the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-F (although there's an F in the MMO, so I'm not sure, maybe it should be G), and hilarity ensues. Wil Wheaton could bring his own holier-than-thou SJW attitude into the role, although a huge caveat would be that he'd actually have to act well. Then again, William Shatner.

I just hope this new series is going to be at least as good as the one I've imagined.
    lol, I hope you're joking because I certainly wouldn't want to watch that. Wheaton also not a big selling point. But maybe that's where we go with the post, what do you or we, want out of this new Star Trek?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    It's very, very hard to tell. It looks like it will be a complete reboot, not affiliated with the original nor the new Star Trek.

I think it is quite hard to acquire a new audience - which is crucial for it to be of any success - without pissing off the majority of fans. One major problem is that the optimistic future view of the 60s (and also 80/90s) won't sell.
    I cant stand all the dark series thats on now, I realy hope to see somthing postive like traditonel star trek. So Dark Trek will piss me off. What is it with all reboots.... set it about 20 years into the future, after voyager ended, and you can draw from lore but not crushed by it and you can have old caracters make gest performance if you want.

Alternative go all out dark and have loots of nude orion slave girls and backs stabbing in "mirror universe" (or what they call it) games of thrones style....
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2015-11-02 at 08:00 PM.