Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Ohio to vote on Marijuana legalization tomorrow

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....art_river_home

Wonder how this has not been bigger news. People better vote on this very important issue

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Will Ohio voters on Tuesday make the Buckeye State the first to go from pot prohibition to a fully legalized marijuana industry?

Or will voters say "no" to letting deep-pocketed campaigns secure future profits for themselves in the Ohio Constitution?

Both sides of the debate are confident they'll win, but the final results are difficult to gauge from polls and early voter turnout numbers.

ResponsibleOhio, the political action committee backing marijuana legalization measure Issue 3, has spent the past week touting the medical marijuana aspect of the proposed constitutional amendment while opponents have pushed back on those claims.

ResponsibleOhio has spent more than $6 million on TV commercials and started running several new ads in these final weeks of the campaign, including spots featuring former boy-band star Nick Lachey and basketball hall-of-famer Oscar Robertson. Those commercials don't mention that Lachey and Robertson are among two dozen investors who will own the only 10 parcels of land where commercial marijuana could be grown under the amendment.

One commercial doesn't even mention Issue 3, but rather tells viewers to vote "no" on Issue 2.

Issue 2 is the legislature-sponsored "anti-monopoly amendment." In addition to making it more difficult for future initiatives establishing monopolies or special economic benefits in the Ohio Constitution, Issue 2 contains a provision supporters say would nullify Issue 3 if both pass.

ResponsibleOhio Executive Director Ian James said lawmakers have punted on the issue of medical marijuana for 19 years, and Issue 3 does what the Statehouse won't do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Cincinnati and I can honestly say I haven't heard much talk about either of the issues. I did some research for myself, but pretty shocked at the lack of discussion locally. One of the news ptogrammes devoted a few minutes to every night last week talking with citizens and law enforcement in Colorado, that's really all I've noticed at least.

Sweden needs to wake up and stop believing marijuana is the death drug. Sooner they legalize/decriminalize it the better, almost all gangs is fighting over controll to sell that drug here.

I'm voting no just because I'm sick of people putting shit on my truck 3 times a day. There was also a woman running around the parking lot at walmart trying to tell people to vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I live in Cincinnati and I can honestly say I haven't heard much talk about either of the issues. I did some research for myself, but pretty shocked at the lack of discussion locally. One of the news ptogrammes devoted a few minutes to every night last week talking with citizens and law enforcement in Colorado, that's really all I've noticed at least.
    Kind of funny is the first paper I came across was Cincinnati and there was not jack shit about this anywhere on their front page. I went to this paper and they had a bunch of articles not buried and this one on their front page.

I think people who want prohibition are hoping for low turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm voting no just because I'm sick of people putting shit on my truck 3 times a day. There was also a woman running around the parking lot at walmart trying to tell people to vote for it.
    There are families being destroyed and people in Mexico being killed by cartels over this. It might be a joke to you but people are dying daily.

I'm from Dayton, and there are signs everywhere. People are trying to raise awareness in the area, especially around UD and the other campuses. I'm voting yes tomorrow (despite having never smoked and unable to smoke for the foreseeable future).
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what the Amish are going to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Kind of funny is the first paper I came across was Cincinnati and there was not jack shit about this anywhere on their front page. I went to this paper and they had a bunch of articles not buried and this one on their front page.

I think people who want prohibition are hoping for low turn out.

There are families being destroyed and people in Mexico being killed by cartels over this. It might be a joke to you but people are dying daily.
    I don't recall saying it was a joke.

I don't recall saying it was a joke.
    "I'm voting against them, not because I don't agree with them, but because of their advertising method." Paraphrasing your past post. You may not have said, "This is a joke" but you might as well have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    "I'm voting against them, not because I don't agree with them, but because of their advertising method." Paraphrasing your past post. You may not have said, "This is a joke" but you might as well have.
    except I wasn't joking.

Deleted
    I'm very much against legalising this drug outside of medical usage. But a part of me wants it legalised just to see the outcome, if it does more good than harm then gg, I concede, but if it is a total fuck up then hopefully it will end this nonsense once and for all and everyone can agree to just keep it illegal.

As of right now, people are just throwing "it could to this" "it will reduce that" we don't actually know what impact legalising it will have. I'd legalise it, give it time and if it is a total mess I will make it illegal once more, if not then meh, I guess I will just have to wallow in my minorityness

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Are you really naïve enough to believe passing this is suddenly going to stop the deaths and the cartels in Mexico? I will be voting no on this for several reasons, but the primary is that a law like this has no business being added to the state constitution instead of being passed as a normal law and I have a real problem with them essentially creating monopolies for the growers. Sadly this shitty law will probably pass, but I do know that there are supporters of legalization that think this is a bad law that shouldn't be passed so maybe I will be surprised with a sound defeat for this issue.

except I wasn't joking.

Be a little more disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post

Be a little more disingenuous.
    I don't want marijuana legalized to begin with. Having it shoved in my face multiple times a day for the past few months just made me absolutely certain of my decision.

... yeah if you live in Ohio and you aren't aware of Issue 2 and Issue 3 you're probably not paying attention. It's been discussed on the nightly news multiple times per week for months. It's been the subject of multiple investigations as to illegal activity (the State was trying to find a way to shut Responsible Ohio down, and failed) and has been a topic of controversy across multiple political groups.

All the major newspapers in Ohio have been covering the issues on their paper and digital media. It's been everywhere.

Especially if you live in Columbus. You literally cannot escape the flyers and the promotions for or against Issues #2 and #3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want marijuana legalized to begin with. Having it shoved in my face multiple times a day for the past few months just made me absolutely certain of my decision.
    So you're just an asshole that will vote for continued death and destruction because you're unwilling to look at the data and don't like the people campaigning for the alternative.

Alright then.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Same haven't heard much at all, really strange.

On topic, I am not voting on the issue, I don't care one way or the other. If I went it would likely be to vote against it because I hate every single pothead I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So you're just an asshole that will vote for continued death and destruction because you're unwilling to look at the data and don't like the people campaigning for the alternative.

Alright then.
    Because death and destruction is just automatically going to stop if marijuana is legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Are you really naïve enough to believe passing this is suddenly going to stop the deaths and the cartels in Mexico?
    Stop? No, but it very likely will help improve the situation by taking away at least some of the cartels' money.

- - - Updated - - -

Because death and destruction is just automatically going to stop if marijuana is legal.
    See above.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

What you mean when it passed in Colorado the deaths didn't stop, but somehow Ohio passing it is going to stop the deaths this time? Clearly you just hate people and revel in the death and destruction.