Eurasia and the Americas?

On a completely technical level, why do we use terms like Europe and Asia and North and South America? Understandably, North America millions of years ago split off from Eurasia and eventually merged with South America over millions of years, meaning that North and South America were once seperate continents indisputably, but what about in the modern 21st century within the Holocene? What about Eurasia, Europe and Asia haven't really been apart ever, although lands like the Indian Subcontinent did slowly collide with Eurasia (which to my memory formed the Himalayas, so why do we in modern usage consider these to be different continents?

7+ Year Old Account
    Continents do not have a universal technical definition. The edge of Europe and Asia (and the Mid-East region) can arguably be a bit fuzzy, but the edges of other continents are more clear.

The typical one world border haters have started calling continents social constructs. Its just another way of complaining about something that isn't really a problem.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-11-02 at 08:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They will teach you this stuff in high school when you get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    They will teach you this stuff in high school when you get there.
    But I'm already in High School and I know the basics of the continents, just confused on why we use an archaic division of lands like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Continents do not have a universal technical definition. The edge of Europe and Asia (and the Mid-East region) can arguably be a bit fuzzy, but the edges of other continents are more clear.

The typical one world border haters have started calling continents social constructs. Its just another way of complaining about something that isn't really a problem.
    Well honestly I find Europe/Asia and North/South America to largely be social constructs if thay makes sense. I also thinks it's a bit fuzzy where Australia starts and Asia ends if that also makes some sense. I do however believe unlike some things that most continents indeed are real.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    But I'm already in High School and I know the basics of the continents, just confused on why we use an archaic division of lands like this.
    We need a way of categorizing Earth at different levels. If there is a better way of identifying all landmasses at the 5-10 quantity level, please share it with us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europe, Asia and Africa were regarded as separate by the Ancient Greeks (though they called Africa Libya), and nobody can really be arsed to change it now.

Deleted
    Europe and Asia really are just one continent.. I mean jeez look at a globe. Sure poltically speaking they're different, but geographically speaking?

- - - Updated - - -

look at this arbritary line..
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-11-02 at 08:41 PM.

Continental Plates define most of it, the exception being Europe/Asia, which for the longest time was probably mostly a cultural thing and then just tacking on some geographic points to make the separation.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

A North and South America makes much more sense being separated than Europe and Asia, geographically. Since one: they are on different plates, and second the area that separates them is very small, like the area that separated Africa and Asia. Honestly I think if they had very different names people would argue about it just as much as they argue Africa and Asia aren't separate continents, aka barely ever.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Europe and Asia really are just one continent.. I mean jeez look at a globe. Sure poltically speaking they're different, but geographically speaking?

- - - Updated - - -

look at this arbritary line..
    That line is at the urals I thought. Sure, they're not the himilayas, but no other mountain range is really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Europe, Asia and Africa were regarded as separate by the Ancient Greeks (though they called Africa Libya), and nobody can really be arsed to change it now.
    Essentially this though the lines have changed a little.

Back during the ancient Greek times the border between Africa and Asia was actually the Nile because of its wideness and how no one knew the source of it. Now it is considered the Suez.

Europe/Asia borders have been considered same since forever. Aegean/Black Sea is on such border with the mountain range (Caucus) as the land border, plus the Urals in Russia. Geographical lines that separate.