Power Supply enough?

Edit:to Mods please move to build/upgrade help supforum (didn't noticed its existence)
    Hey MMO-Champs.

I'm on the brink to buy/build a new PC. Santa will be abit early for me this year and so I like to spent some Money. Still I'm not rich and therefor will upgrade everything besides my old graphics card and well the Power Supply.

Now I'm curious (because I don't know how to calculate it) if my Power supply could handle the new build. And if you like point out any other major flaws you'll might find.

Build:
    Old GraCa GTX 570 TI
    Old Power Sup Be Quiet! STRAIGHT POWER E9 | 580W CM

New:
    MSI B85-G41 PC Mate Intel
    i7 4790K 4GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 2 CPU Cooler
    16 GB G.Skill NT-Series DDR3-1600
    120gb Kingston SSD Now KC300 (the one with ~520 read/write)
    1TB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003

all would be placed in an AeroCool1000 (2 prebuild in case cooler)

So Would you say the old 580W could handle that?

Thanks in Advance guys!
    Last edited by miDnight77; 2015-11-03 at 12:35 AM. Reason: move request

The wattage should be enough, age on the other hand is a different matter. Also you do have a bit of a strange component choice, first of all IU would recommend going Skylake, if your main use will be gaming an i5 6600K will do no need for an i7.

Also most people go for a Z97 Mobo when they get an unlocked CPU, also 120 Gb SSD is pretty small(depending on what you will us it for) would also recommend going for Samsung 850 evo or a crucial MX200/BX100 series.

Got the same PSU its rly good and ofc you can keep it you could even run the 570 in SLI and its enough.
    Your System need atm around 350-400 Watt.

But tell us first what you want to do with your new PC/Parts and use this:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ed-Information

Ok thanks so far. I've seen people sometimes really accurately calculating how big the Power Supp should be. Age well its 3 years old hope it runs some time still.

to buy an i7 and say I'm on a budget must sound stupid. And no its not only for gaming I'd say its 50% gaming 50% 3D/graphic packages and high end compositing.

Can you elaborate on the MoBo choice? what the difference makes to go for a Z97 series?

the ssd is only for os and a handfull of programs. I have big sets of data and a too big traffic to use SSDs all the time for file storage. So in my opinion 120gb is enough and I spent my extra bugs on reading speed then.

Can you elaborate on the MoBo choice? what the difference makes to go for a Z97 series?
    The K version of Intel CPUs can be overclocked with the right Mainboard like the Z97 series.

Maybe check first the new i7 Skylake 6700k and if you dont want to overclock stay with the i7 6700.

@Miyagi thanks your explanations I did some more research and reading and found a lot of bad reviews or at least unsatisfied owners of the B85-G41 and I'll switch over to a Z92 board. Did also more reading about the i7 K line and overclocking things. Big thanks to pointing that mistake out to me. My old PC was almost 7 years old and I just updated graphics and PSU once so I wasn't informed well at all about new PC builds.

For the PSU "issue" it's not enough to just read thru the technical discriptions for watt usage of the parts and add them up, isn't it? I remember seeing people talking about multiple circuits with different voltage and wattage n stuff.

You need to check the PSU's 12V output. If it has multiple rails (will be labelled at 12v1, 12v2 on the label) you also need to take into account where you plug in the components.

Last edited by Miyagie; 2015-11-04 at 12:30 AM.

Deleted
    The power supply you got has the wattage and quality wise is very good. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

You should not what Denpepe said tho elsewhere. Grabbing an i7 4790k with a cheap ass msi B85 mobo is non go. I wouldn't even trush stable power from that mobo.

I will also mention that 120gb ssd atm is nothing. I only would use it on ahome server if was needed and nothing more. 120gb will be just for o/s and a game or 2 and its full after o/s updates. RAther wait with it and buy a 240/256gb one.

I would suggest linking us your full current rig, what you use the pc for, your location and budget to help you build a new one. Don't waste money on things that are not needed and don't waste money on things that should not evem be considered, like that mobo.

Thanks so far for new answers.

@Miyagie great Link Specially being a big fan of bequiet equipment.

@Kostattoo

I Dont think my Games will end up on the SSD I Can totally deal with the time it takes them on a 7.200U/min HDD Other then the OS there would mainly be Software like Nuke, Maya and PS so its about 50GB tops of software. Don't know where a 120Gb drive should be to small for it?

current idea of the build:
    MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
    i7 4790K 4GHz

That setup I end up with 710€ ( In germany and feel totally acceptable in budget with it )

EVGA GTX 560 TI
    BeQuiet! PURE POWER L8 | 530W CM

yep last two are different from OP I did a mistake (stated them from memory)
    The Old rig is besides the PSU, Optic drive and graphics card utterly unuseable. The HDD has sector errors and is slow as hell. The whole setup (besides graphics and PSU is around 6 to 7 years old) and after trying to fix an issue over last 2 weeks I've nailed it down to the anything related to the MoBo beeing defect. (either the MoBo itself, its chip or memory banks but most likely its PSIe slot.

So well that said The PC is partly for gaming partly work. Meaning besides most blizz games I like to play some titles now and then (but this is not as decisive)
    For Working its all about Moving pictures. From 3D models, smaller rendering jobs (bigger stuff ends up on the farm anyways) Particle and Fluid Simulations; to Compositing and wrangle film data. I don't believe I'll encounter raw 4k red material any time soon. But a full1080p or even 2k is not to unlikely to work with.

The typical smaller office work like Mails, forums or smaller Photo retouches My laptop is more then enough for.

Quote Originally Posted by miDnight77 View Post
    I Dont think my Games will end up on the SSD I Can totally deal with the time it takes them on a 7.200U/min HDD Other then the OS there would mainly be Software like Nuke, Maya and PS so its about 50GB tops of software. Don't know where a 120Gb drive should be to small for it?
    You should put your games on the HDD, it makes one hell of a difference in loading times. That's really half the point of getting an SSD. Having just the OS on it is nice, it boots fast, but if everything else is on the HDD, then the OS loading fast is the only real benefit you'll get. In that case, I'd pretty much say it's not worth it to even get one at all.

Lathais Its about the OS booting up fast and my Programs having quicker loading times. This software is no joke for me its the reason I can buy me a new PC

On a side note I calculated thru my programs and games. there should basically be enough space for both but I prio the software over games

Lathais Its about the OS booting up fast and my Programs having quicker loading times. This software is no joke for me its the reason I can buy me a new PC

On a side note I calculated thru my programs and games. there should basically be enough space for both but I prio the software over games
    Just remember, you don't want to let it get too full either. You want to keep an SSD at about 80% capacity I think it is or you start to lose that speed.

Deleted
    How about the following for similar-ish budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€346.79 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (€47.07 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€116.48 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€77.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€94.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€51.25 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €734.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-04 20:25 CET+0100

Thanks so far for new answers.

@Miyagie great Link Specially being a big fan of bequiet equipment.

@Kostattoo

current idea of the build:
    MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
    i7 4790K 4GHz

That setup I end up with 710€ ( In germany and feel totally acceptable in budget with it )

EVGA GTX 560 TI
    BeQuiet! PURE POWER L8 | 530W CM

yep last two are different from OP I did a mistake (stated them from memory)
    The Old rig is besides the PSU, Optic drive and graphics card utterly unuseable. The HDD has sector errors and is slow as hell. The whole setup (besides graphics and PSU is around 6 to 7 years old) and after trying to fix an issue over last 2 weeks I've nailed it down to the anything related to the MoBo beeing defect. (either the MoBo itself, its chip or memory banks but most likely its PSIe slot.

So well that said The PC is partly for gaming partly work. Meaning besides most blizz games I like to play some titles now and then (but this is not as decisive)
    For Working its all about Moving pictures. From 3D models, smaller rendering jobs (bigger stuff ends up on the farm anyways) Particle and Fluid Simulations; to Compositing and wrangle film data. I don't believe I'll encounter raw 4k red material any time soon. But a full1080p or even 2k is not to unlikely to work with.

The typical smaller office work like Mails, forums or smaller Photo retouches My laptop is more then enough for.
    Is there a reason you stuck with last-generation parts? Just curious

@Kagthul Budget. its around 50-60 Bucks more for the cpu alone + 20-30 on the MoBo with fitting socket. I don't think you get more worth of that money.

@Kostatto Wow nice.. Well same shop a bit higher in end Price but Nice Build with faster RAM and bigger ssd
    Well But it gave me confidence for Time Reasons I can't wait much longer. And I feel my build is pretty strong and not to wasteful now