Idea for retroactive professions.

Hey guys! Gonna post a quick cool idea I had for professions, that i'd like to bounce off of you guys, to hear the pro's and con's you guys see in the idea. So here goes.

I was thinking of crafting professions, whatever it may be and how they work, and how they could be made a bit more fun and "engaging" in the World of Warcraft.

The model as it is now, is lower level items crave lower level reagants (Such as Copper for Copper Swords) and max level stuff only requires the end-zones items + some crafting reagants obtained in one way or another. I thought it'd be a much cooler model, if it was more fluid in the higher-to-max level crafting in the game.
    Imagine a sword with a golden hilt and a faint blue glow. At the moment, it may take 50xBlackrock and 50xTrue Iron to craft. But what it a bit more "effort" and thought were put into professions, and the weapons model actually reflected on what it's needed to craft, so instead of only having some draenor reagents, it could look something along the lines of 25xBlackrock, 50xTrue Iron, 20xGold and 5x Cobalt.

This way, you are forced to harvest from the world as a whole and not just from a couple of end zones.. This may seem like an unnecessary annoyance, but still does bring life from Garrisons and Cities and into the world as a whole.

Another example could be in Alchemy. Strength flasks needing a small amount of Gromsblood, for example. Something that isn't found in the current end-game zones, but still makes sense "lore" wise.

I personally would love to have to search the world for some old school reagents that are a part of my recipes for end-game items, what do you guys think?

Deleted
    I agree it would be nice. But i think the stance of Blizzard is that they dont want to force people to go back to older expansions for stuff.

I heard that too, but isn't it about time they started switching up on their stance.. Looking at a public opinion side of things, people don't seem too happy about the course Blizzard have chosen lately. I thought this would be a interesting way of bringing people back in the game. Granted, it may dilute the player base and spread them too far apart (As the World is huge). Meaning that players, even while traversing the world, may still feel alone in it.

Stat-less transmog items that require some old world mats seems like a good compromise.

They're taking the D3 transmog system, they need to take the D3 crafting system. Get rid of all old-world crafting mats and only use current mats for everything.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Professions are fine imo. Old world stuff is all irrelevant to any current content. The way they did the professions in WOD is perfect, doesn't need to be changed whatsoever as far as leveling
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Professions are fine imo. Old world stuff is all irrelevant to any current content. The way they did the professions in WOD is perfect, doesn't need to be changed whatsoever as far as leveling
    Hmmm... I actually find professions rather bland. Daily cooldown with materials hidden behind gated professional materials is not engaging at all. I found WOD to be horrible with professions. Leveling up was o.k, since it can take quiet awhile. But again, nothing engaging behind queing daily materials.

Deleted
    But they let you level up with current items only. They already have a design to abandon old mats.

A real issue is that the old mats are way too much right now in quantity of different types.

e.g. they could bundle all Vanilla cloth into "Linen Cloth" only for instance.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumaku13 View Post
    Hmmm... I actually find professions rather bland. Daily cooldown with materials hidden behind gated professional materials is not engaging at all. I found WOD to be horrible with professions. Leveling up was o.k, since it can take quiet awhile. But again, nothing engaging behind queing daily materials.
    Ya I was speaking primarily toward the leveling aspect. The daily part is meh. Not much to really do that's interesting with the professions
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Wod professions are the most boring so far, with MoP behind.
    Profession has just gotten less and less complex with every expansion, and maybe they were a little bit to much back in vanilla (at least for lower level crafts).
    But this "newest" model is just boring.

And since there is no statbonus/perk from professions anymore, there is really no need to give away free professions to everyone who wouldnt bother otherwise.

I wish they'd give older content some relevance back.

Now there's no reason to take 1-90 into consideration for anything. Zones, quests, materials, everything. You just chain-queue for dungeons.

I think they could find a way to at least make these older mats a viable option for leveling professions (or to craft some transmog items ...) Maybe combine some so you don't have 8 to 10 tiers by the time you reach lvl 65.

But apart from the obvious fact that it's super easy, I'm really not a fan of the way professions are handled in WoD. Lvl 1-max with only draenor reagents you can get for free in the garrison ?

Next thing you know, they'll actually make levelling more long and tedious just to make the boosts more attractive -_-