Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Currently (Q4 of 2015), what MMORPG is the best to play?

I know there's been discussion on the topic. GW2 announced big numbers with the expansion. I have no idea how ESO or SWTOR are doing, and WoW is doing very bad (in my opinions, as a player).
    I'm thinking of quitting WoW, at least until the next expansion. If I wanted to pick up a new MMO, what would you recommend, taking everything into account, PVP, solo content, large-scale PVP, large-scale PVE (raids), etc..?

So, all things considered, what mmo would you recommend now? Judging by many posts here, it's definitely not WoW, I mean 10 mil subscribers at the launch of Draenor and now 5 mil. Speaks about how good Draenor actually is.
    Is it GW2? Traditionally, WoW owned all other MMOs in PVP, both large and small scale. People are saying it's the other way around now, GW2 PVP >>>>> WoW PVP. Is this true? If so, why and how?

I would also like someone to compare ESO and SWTOR to WoW, whether they're viable options at all, and if so, in which way.

Lastly, is WildStar worth it, in other words, is it worth it to replace WoW with WS?

Despite all you hear the games you listed are quite different to each other (and WoW)
    It's literally impossible to make a suggestion without knowing more about your gaming preferences.

(no: "ex-WoW player" is not enough information, there's quite diverse playstyles inside WoW despite Blizzard's push for homogenization for years now)

- GW2 is most unlike WoW in player progression concept (if you enjoy the gear hamsterwheel and a steep powercreep it will appear to have none)

- WildStar has imho the most interesting and engaging combat of all in your list and alot smoother curve between challenge in solo play, outside world, instanced content. (meaning almost no PvE content is absolutely trivial, that doesn't mean it's super hard but if your main thing is pet-battles and LFR, yeah it would be brutal)
    WildStar unfortunately suffers from poor hardware optimization, if you're one of the unlucky ones that your rig doesn't work on it, you're hosed.

I don't have enough playtime on ESO and SWTOR (I've tried both though) to offer a detailed opinion but all 4 games you listed are high-value mmorpgs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hm, ok.

If I addded a filter - mainly interested in large scale pvp and pve, since I mainly did raids and BG PVP in WoW, would that change something?

As mentioned it really depends on what you like. I'd say If you're tired of WoW then something like SWTOR or RIFT might tire quickly. Rift feels a little dated these days. Otherwise they're pretty well-made though. GW2 is quite a lot different but it's still fantasy. The combat is fun though. FFXIV is a bit more traditional without copying WoW. It's a good game if you are in to a more asian fantasy feel. You might even like EVE, if you like rinkydinkying with stats and sci fi stuff.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefhisto1 View Post
    So, all things considered, what mmo would you recommend now?
    Star Wars: The Old Republic is excellent. The gameplay is 2nd era MMORPG style of invisible dice rolls and global cooldowns, but it is accomplished well.

SWTOR has a very well produced narrative- lots of them. It is also highly friendly to solo play but has all the traditional group play options should one want that as well.

Wildstar is pretty decent. I do not like action combat games personally. But in playing W* briefly I found few major issues with the gameplay execution. It is merely a matter of theme and style- do you personally like Wildstar's theme and gameplay style; does it seem appealing to you? If so, it's not a bad game for those so inclined. World of Warcraft meets Playstation 3.

GW2 is still mostly excellent. The new expansion adds more vertical gameplay. It is perhaps the most radical 3rd era MMO on the market. Lots of quirks particular to GW2- as with Wildstar; does GW2 have a theme and gameplay style you might enjoy? Action combat, non linear, heavy emphasis on horizontal progression.

Traditionally, WoW owned all other MMOs in PVP, both large and small scale.
    Dubious claim. Poorly written, reveals a bias. At best, subjective and irrelevant. At worst, laughable.

GW2's PVP is twofold: symmetrical and asymmetrical. Asymmetry in the PVP design is in the form of World vs. World- which mimics free-form open world PVP combat in a limited closed environment distinct from the default PVE game world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mefhisto1 View Post
    If I addded a filter - mainly interested in large scale pvp and pve, since I mainly did raids and BG PVP in WoW, would that change something?
    Star Wars:The Old Republic if you want the above in the popular 2nd era style of MMORPG. Open World PVP, dueling, guild planetary conquests, battlegrounds, etc- all asymmetrical.

Guild Wars 2 if you want the above in the current 3rd era style of MMOs. Arenas, battlegrounds and semi-open world- symmetrical and asymmetrical.

(I don't have much experience with ESO or Wildstar to make certain suggestions or recommendations.)

Given the scope of what you're looking for I'm not sure there is one that fits the bill.
    ESO has great solo play (I think)
    SWTOR also has a very good solo play mode, and the story in it is unmatched.
    FFXIV has a good story, fun combat for an 2nd gen mmo and the endgame pve is quite nice but the PvP is severly lacking.
    I wouldn't recommend Rift. I don't think it has enough players playing it even though it's a good game.
    Wildstar has the best combat system of the most popular MMOs and I think the pve endgame is quite decent too.

By bet would be GW2. I haven't gotten anywhere in it myself but the combat is okay I guess. They just added raids and the PvP is supposed to be really good.

All of these are F2P except ESO that's B2P and FFXIV that has a subscription model but you can get a 14 day trial. I suggest you try them all for 20 or so levels to get the feel of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    SWTOR also has a very good solo play mode, and the story in it is unmatched.
    Wildstar has the best combat system of the most popular MMOs and I think the pve endgame is quite decent too.

By bet would be GW2. I haven't gotten anywhere in it myself but the combat is okay I guess. They just added raids and the PvP is supposed to be really good.
    Well, I'm mainly interested in multi-player stuff, and have read somewhere (excuse me, don't remember where), that SWTOR is very single player-y, so I'm not sure if I'd like it..

Currently, I'm somehow juggling between GW2 and Wildstar, occasionally thinking about ESO. In my opinion, end game is the most important, it's where you'll be spending your most time, at least that stands for WoW. Does it hold true for GW2, ESO and W*? Do GW2 and ESO offer good endgame, in terms of PVP and PVE? Wildstar is also quite new so I'm not sure about that, and also, endgame can't be properly tested, since (I guess) all these games offer 10 or 15 day trials, which are insufficient to test the endgame.

What you are asking is very subjective and the following are my personal opinions only.

My personal favourites for raiding are WoW with Rift a close second. I actually preferred the flexibility and breadth of specs more in Rift and the rotations compared to the current WoD era though the bosses appeal to me more in WoW.

SWTOR has a really good story and there is a different one for each of the 8 classes. Not raided in this game (yet?) as the combat actually feels odd to me.

GW2 for story, exploration side and there is World Vs World PvP. I haven't checked out the new expansion which added raids. The gearing process/loot system is quite different if you are used to WoW.

I played Wildstar on launch to level cap but there was not enough then to do or a big enough connection to make me want to continue playing.

I also played ESO with the same outcome.

Have you looked at Final Fantasy 14?

Ultimately I believe that all of what you listed is actually F2P now (base game of GW2 is and Final Fantasy has a free trial) so you can give each a go to see what appeals to you the most at this point in time.

Just saw there were 2 more replies which may render this useless but leaving it as is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    GW2's PVP is twofold: symmetrical and asymmetrical. Asymmetry in the PVP design is in the form of World vs. World- which mimics free-form open world PVP combat in a limited closed environment distinct from the default PVE game world.

Star Wars:The Old Republic if you want the above in the popular 2nd era style of MMORPG. Open World PVP, dueling, guild planetary conquests, battlegrounds, etc- all asymmetrical.

(I don't have much experience with ESO or Wildstar to make certain suggestions or recommendations.)
    I'm not sure I understand you completely. When you say PVP is asymmetrical, it mimics open world pvp in a closed environment, so similar to large-scale battlegrounds in WoW, like Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest (40v40 battleground instances)? If so,

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guild Wars 2 if you want the above in the current 3rd era style of MMOs. Arenas, battlegrounds and semi-open world- symmetrical and asymmetrical.
    what kind of semi-symmetrical pvp does GW offer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for blade and soul to release in December.

Deleted
    I haven't played them all, but of the ones I have played the BEST one right now is WoW. I am tempted to try Wildstar for it's fairly innovative combat style though.

Instead of posting walls of text this should give you a pretty good idea what you're getting into with; with WildStar

1. Basic PVE tips
    2. PVP Basics
    3. WildStar F2P Guide
    4. Level50, Now What?
    5. Casual Guide to Gearing at 50
    6. Housing Basics
    7. Enigma Class Guides

GW2 and ESO are my favorite two MMOs by far. GW2 is closer to WoW (imo) but has a much better PVP game - prob the best in the biz. GW2 is starting to become overlay complex for my tastes, I feel like if I don't log on for a month I come back and I'm totally lost.

ESO is basically Elder Scrolls with a massive persistent world where you have a chance to run into other players and group with them. This game is much better played through slowly and exploring every nook and cranny and reading all the books.

I think ESO is a little bit better imo but I would like to see more classes.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2015-11-03 at 03:08 PM.

"Best"? That's such a relative and personal thing. My 5 cents would be ESO, wow, gw2, swtor. Stay away from wildstar. Also Blade & Soul will launching at the start of the next year.

For open world PvP I would personally go with GW2. I always said the PvP in Dark Age of Camelot was the best I had ever experienced, and they brought it back with GW2. But, you won't get the type of PvE raiding in GW2 that you experienced in WoW. So if that is something you really enjoy, you might feel a bit let down with GW2. I enjoyed SW:TOR, but I didn't really know anyone or have a group to play with so my interest in the game died off. I imagine if I had a group of friends to play with SW:TOR would have been a great game.

I can't speak to the other as I haven't played them, but I think GW2 and SW:TOR are both worth a try.

More than one.

Each of the games on the market, mostly, offers you something done really well.

Stop looking for the One Ring game and enjoy the buffet.

Deleted
    World of Warcraft

SWTOR is pay to win, lmao.

Spare yourself the trouble and play WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the big name mmos just had a big expansion or patch. Just browse and pick one you think looks cool. Id personally go with Swtor, but GW2, Wildstar, and even ESO could be good options. Also FFXIV

All of them.

Seriously, there are a number of fantastic MMO's on the market and many have just received some great content patches or expansions. Considering the vast majority are F2P (minus EVE/FFXIV which are sub and TSW/ESO which are B2P and...well that's pretty much it for the big players), I'd recommend giving any old one that strikes your fancy a go. The vast majority are still supported by their devs, with most seeing pretty strong support.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    SWTOR is pay to win, lmao.
    Wut