Thread: Aggro! :D

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Aggro! :D

Seriously what is the point of playing control decks anymore? A very select few of them even works and even then you'd have to have the god opener to win. Everyone and their grandmother is playing aggro atm, seriously after playing 25 consecutive games now I faced 3 control decks, bloody 3! First was a handlock, second a dragon priest and third a control warrior. And those 3 games were atleast fun to play since you know, they lasted beyond turn 6/7. And I have really tried to make my control decks work but they just don't for the majority of the games. Aggro just doesn't seem to get punished a lot by control decks, and even if you manage to wipe their board once in a blue moon, they're right back there in 2 or 3 turns again.

That said I wholeheartedly believe that aggro has a place in this game and I do not want to see it disappear, but it should get toned down quite a bit in my honest opinion.

I'm fully aware that I might be the one in the minority here but honestly I like the drawn out methodical control games over the pure face rushing aggro games where the match is over in 3 or 4 minutes. And when I'm talking aggro I'm not talking combo decks like midrange druid/old patron, more like secret paladin, hybrid hunter, mech mage/shaman, Zoolocks, aggro druids.

Welcome to cancerstone. Can't even experiment with fun decks on latter, because they get punished by cancer decks. It's sad too, most of the TGT cards are garbage in constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Welcome to cancerstone. Can't even experiment with fun decks on latter, because they get punished by cancer decks. It's sad too, most of the TGT cards are garbage in constructed.
    Ladder isn't for experimentation, it's for ranking up. Casual is for experimenting, hell you see just as many hardcore ladder decks there as you do on the actual ladder.

As to the OP, aggro is fine for now, the format will stabilize with new cards as has happened in games like Magic. Certain periods of time are known for certain playstyles because they were pretty much unbeatable, causing cards to get banned, restricted and the next set(s) to be printed to have counters to specific cards and strategies. Being a digital game we can see cards nerfed faster than new sets can be released, but we should also count on there being functional counters and reliable mainstays to bump up the power level of other archetypes.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Ladder isn't for experimentation, it's for ranking up. Casual is for experimenting, hell you see just as many hardcore ladder decks there as you do on the actual ladder.

As to the OP, aggro is fine for now, the format will stabilize with new cards as has happened in games like Magic. Certain periods of time are known for certain playstyles because they were pretty much unbeatable, causing cards to get banned, restricted and the next set(s) to be printed to have counters to specific cards and strategies. Being a digital game we can see cards nerfed faster than new sets can be released, but we should also count on there being functional counters and reliable mainstays to bump up the power level of other archetypes.
    it's been 4 expansion worth of cards and little has changed. at some point this excuse starts wearing thin.
    also hearthstone is digital where magic is physical. there's a world of difference between the two types.
    finally magic is a completely different type of card game from hearthstone.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

"casual" is even worse, so much face hunter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it's been 4 expansion worth of cards and little has changed. at some point this excuse starts wearing thin.
    also hearthstone is digital where magic is physical. there's a world of difference between the two types.
    finally magic is a completely different type of card game from hearthstone.
    Agree and add to that BLZ's trademarketed incompetence on balancing things and by now it is clear the HS devs are no expcetion.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I haven't seen zoolocks for quite a while. Think they faded out for the other agrro decks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I haven't seen zoolocks for quite a while. Think they faded out for the other agrro decks.
    I see them literally everyday.

Since the rise of Zoo (late beta/early release?), the meta has been more or less controlled by aggro decks. I've said before and I'll say again, rush is all this game will ever know unless they bring about serious changes to the game's core mechanics, which feels desperately unlikely at this stage.

Best you can hope for is the next expansion prints some monstrous early game control cards and offers nothing to rush. Even then, I would fully expect the meta to still be rush focused.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

It would be nice if some genius could work out a method of rewarding "out of the box" play - some kinda of meter that tracks how popular certain cards are and rewards the use of lesser seen cards. Would make for more variety, although I accept its pretty difficult to implement

People take winning so damn seriously, thats the main issue ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I played alot Zoo in the last month rly good deck can crush most decks and good vs secret pala.

Deleted

Actually, I'd argue that aggro just keeps evolving into an even more absurd state every expansion which is the complete opposite to how it should be in my eyes. It's sad actually that it took such a stupid deck like patron to keep the cancer decks in check, and now that patron is pretty much gone it's a face rush extravaganza!

Aggro does indeed keep evolving. We keep seeing new tools crop up like Glaivezooka, Quick Shot, Argent Horserider coming from GvG, Blackrock, and TGT respectively.

One of the reasons you don't see as much Warlock zoo as you once did is because whereas at one point it won through an explosive start, it's really starting to show its age. Modern decklists with Voidcallers and Mal'ganis can work with some success, but it isn't as consistent as back when Warlock could win simply by the strength of fast minions. The deck is borderline too slow to play against modern aggro.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Sorry. I couldn't let this one pass. AGRO!

OT: Aggro is really annoying. I play a Control Paladin myself, and boy do I get buttfucked in the ass by face hunters and secretadins. But I wont bend over to play as aggro. The only instance when I play "aggro" is when I get that mission that requires you to play small minions, and even then I try to make efficient trades and shit like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't beat them, join them.

Except instead of playing Face Hunter I attempted to ladder with eboladin to good success.

Nice! Cool Story!

No wonder you have no Idea how to play a control deck is this meta. Stick to the aggro, it suits you,

P.S. !!!1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfin View Post
    Nice! Cool Story!

No wonder you have no Idea how to play a control deck is this meta. Stick to the aggro, it suits you,

P.S. !!!1
    Really now? There isn't a single proper control deck that you can take to ladder these days and expect to climb steadily with. I'm not saying it's impossible to get to rank 5+ but you'd have to play almost double the amount of games (if not more) as the aggro decks have to.

Handlock? Enjoy the hunters.
    Dragon Priest? Didn't draw twilight guardian or could play a whelp/wyrmrest on curve? Insta lose
    Control Warrior? Oh you didn't get that death's bite in time? Well now the board's flooded and even if you clear it with brawl they'll get it back in 2 turns.

This is the entire freaking point, if you do not get the god opener your chance of winning is miniscule while aggro can still deal with having a shitty hand. And furthermore I do not play aggro, no idea where you got that from my post but since you're obviously here to just troll I can't say I care.
    Last edited by mmocba2382e49d; 2015-11-04 at 05:44 PM.

Is that why I see the same decks in casual as I do ranked? Yep

I hear a lot of complaints about aggro even though there are still plenty of decks that can work against them in ranked/casual. Tempo mage, dragon priest, control warrior, fatigue warrior just to name a few. Plus I don't think most of the player base understands that if you cripple aggro too much in HS you will see a rise in more reliable combo decks. Aggro curbs combo/otk decks in most card games, HS included.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    I hear a lot of complaints about aggro even though there are still plenty of decks that can work against them in ranked/casual. Tempo mage, dragon priest, control warrior, fatigue warrior just to name a few. Plus I don't think most of the player base understands that if you cripple aggro too much in HS you will see a rise in more reliable combo decks. Aggro curbs combo/otk decks in most card games, HS included.
    No they don't. Old Miracle and Old Patron destroyed aggro decks. As does Malygos Warlock and Freeze Mage. Midrange Paladin and Shaman were nearly unplayable when Patron was heavily played, because they got punished for playing small minions, like the aggro decks Patron was good against.
    Last edited by muto; 2015-11-04 at 09:42 PM.