Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 - what to replace it with?

Good evening MMO-Champion,

I have what i would like to believe is a pretty good rig, but since Windows 10 came out, i've been experiencing the same annoying crashes / weird things over and over again and I would like the opinion of the more knowledgeable in these matters. Do i need to replace the video card?

1. The Screen would stutter as would the sound, could be anywhere form 0.2 seconds to a full blown 5 before the image resumes.
    2. After awhile, the screen would simply freeze and nothing would work again. Need hard reboot to get rid of this.
    3. Sometimes instead of #2, the stutters become longer and shorter apart. at this point even closing the game will do nothing. need hard reset.

I use:
    dual monitor setup
    Sound output: Logitech Headset G930
    Logitech Gaming Software 8.70
    Realtek HD Audio manager
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150930-1750)
    System Manufacturer: ASUS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU at 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16326MB RAM
    Page File: 5472MB used, 35878MB available
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

you might want to completely flush the nVidia drivers and do a clean reinstall. There were some notable issues with early driver releases for Win 10, and if you just updated over them, you may be experiencing the aftereffects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 isn't very stable for Nvidia users, and you can't make good use of DX12 with that GPU. So either go back to Windows 7/8.1 or wait for better Nvidia drivers. Personally I would try to reinstall the OS first cause my experience with upgrading to Windows 10 hasn't been that great. A fresh install is better than an upgraded Windows 10.

Deleted
    i use a 660 myself - not worth upgrading at 1080p atm imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    and you can't make good use of DX12 (which nothing uses anyway) with that GPU.
    Fixed that for you.

Oh, and Async Compute support coming via a driver update for nVidia. Q.Q

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Fixed that for you.

Well, there are currently 5 games that DO use it, 3 more planned for this year and several next year. Also, if you look at things like the Steam hardware surveys you can easily see that people use their GPUs for 3-6 years.

While they will support it with software, that's basically emulation. Kinda like how when you emulate a PS2 on your PC, the PC must be much more powerful than the hardware in the PS2 because of the software having to do more work. Same thing here. It will support it, sure, but it will not be as fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fixed that for you.

Oh, and Async Compute support coming via a new Nvidia hardware update anyway. Q.Q
    Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Meh, software implementation means more overhead, more talking to the CPU and the driver. Which is kind of what DX12 was supposed to remove.

Try installing the latest drivers. I was having crashes and weird artifacts in games on my 660 with 355.98. I haven't had any crashing or artifacts ever since installing the newer drivers.