Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Swedish pools ban parents' smartphones

http://www.thelocal.se/20151103/swed...ng-smartphones

A rising number of public swimming pools across Sweden are launching blanket bans on smartphones and tablets in a bid to make inattentive parents help protect their children from drowning accidents.

Around 1,500 children have to be taken to hospital every year after accidents at swimming pools. Meanwhile, one in ten fatal child drownings in Sweden takes place at a water park, according to the Swedish Life Saving Society.

The public swimming pool in Umeå caused a splash last week when it issued a complete ban on smartphones, tablets and e-readers in its building, accusing the tech-loving Swedes of spending too much time hooked up to social media and not enough keeping an eye on their children.

"It's mostly for security. We don't anybody to drown," council official Patrik Samuelsson told the TT newswire at the time.

On Tuesday, several other pools across the Nordic country followed suit. Anne Asterhäll, head of Holjebadet in Olofström in southern Sweden, said she often found parents accompanying their children to swimming classes with their nose pressed to their screens.

"In many cases it's about accidents that happen in a second, like children slipping and hitting their heads, and you can't prevent that. (...) But because it's about security we still want to urge parents to direct their attention towards their child," she told Sveriges Radio.

And in Jönköping, in central parts of southern Sweden, the head of the council's culture and leisure department, Karin Semberg, told public broadcaster SVT his staff were also mulling introducing a ban by the end of 2015.

"A ban is always a shame, but the children are the dearest thing we have. (…) Sure, you can lose focus [reading a book] as well, but as our social media presence increases and you have to be constantly updated – it could result in an unhappy ending," she said.

Swedes are some of the most frequent mobile phone users in Europe with three quarters of the whole population having access to a smartphone, according to recent research by Gothenburg University.

Meanwhile, a total of 11 children have so far died in drowning accidents in the first ten months of 2015, according to The Swedish Life Saving Society. The group welcomes the swimming pools' moves to get Swedish mums and dads to log off and spend more time away from their smartphones.

"If a screen ban helps parents spend more time with their chidren we think it's great," the association's security expert Anders Wernesten told TT.
    Thoughts on this? Could this help reduce accidents?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it might be about pervy photos, but not about drownings. Don't your public pools have lifeguards?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I thought it might be about pervy photos, but not about drownings. Don't your public pools have lifeguards?
    Been quite some time since I was at one and from what I remember, there wasn't exactly many, like 2 or 3 that I saw, for a pretty big place.

I get the feeling those parents they are concerned about will just find something new to distract them.

10+ Year Old Account
    good. tablets and smartphones are in need of some control.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That is what I came here expecting.

Seriously though lifeguards? Every public pool I've been too requires a lifeguard to even get in the water. Accidents happen, nothing will prevent those but preventing drownings are the duty of a lifeguard.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is stupid......

A ban? I mean, they can suggest parents stop fiddling their electronics and pay more attention to their children, but ban?

Also, every public pool should have a lifeguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

We should bann cellphones in the "Grundskola"

Swedish pools ban visitors.

Honestly, if I didn't have my phone while watching the kids I don't what I would do.
    Obviously you pay attention as well, but there is absolutely no reason to be "banning" this.
    That's what you pay life guards for.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Why not hire lifeguards? And when a child is neglected by its parents due to social media being more important then you report that to child services for further investigation. But a ban? Nah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Swedish pools ban visitors.

Honestly, if I didn't have my phone while watching the kids I don't what I would do.
    Obviously you pay attention as well, but there is absolutely no reason to be "banning" this.
    That's what you pay life guards for.
    it's called not being a shitty parent.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it's called not being a shitty parent.
    You can't helicopter parent the child constantly. It'll grow weak and kill itself when it enters puberty. Sometimes you gotta let them survive on their own for a couple minutes every day. It's character building, y'know.

Deleted
    well a pool where I'm not allowed to bring my smartphone is a pool I'm not going to visit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    You can't helicopter parent the child constantly. It'll grow weak and kill itself when it enters puberty. Sometimes you gotta let them survive on their own for a couple minutes every day. It's character building, y'know.
    yep because making sure your child doesn't drown is helicopter parenting. just let him drown in the pool. brilliant parenting right there.
    oh wait maybe it's because they are still learning to swim in some cases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yep because making sure your child doesn't drown is helicopter parenting. just let him drown in the pool. brilliant parenting right there.
    oh wait maybe it's because they are still learning to swim in some cases.
    Clearly you pay more attention to the kid if it's in a potentially dangerous situation. But you made it sound like you're a shitty parent if you're not constantly watching the kid 24/7 regardless of what they're doing.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Idk what people in Sweden are like in general, but if it is anything like a small town I used to live in, that recently reopened their public swimming pool (or at least this past summer for the first time in years) I don't see it as a bad thing. Tons of kids 10 and under running around unsupervised being little shits and nearly getting hurt by slipping, running into each other, trying to go crowd diving boards.
    Parents, just brain dead on their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be common sense to keep an eye on your kid around water even if there are lifeguards present.
    Those live sportsupdates or Instagram peeps cant be that important. Well sadly it seems they are, I dont object to this ban proposal.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    That is what I came here expecting.

Seriously though lifeguards? Every public pool I've been too requires a lifeguard to even get in the water. Accidents happen, nothing will prevent those but preventing drownings are the duty of a lifeguard.
    Most people wouldnt know drowning if they saw it, this solves nothing. You need a trained eye to spot a kid drowning

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Most people wouldnt know drowning if they saw it, this solves nothing. You need a trained eye to spot a kid drowning
    Yep. It's easy to spot drowned people, but that's a bit too late. It's a lot harder to spot a drowning person.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a silly attempt at fighting natural selection. It's official Sweden is against nature and completely clueless.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side