Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Honestly you guys. I'm away for a few months and this is what happens?

Ho ho ho, you're all fucking idiots.
    Splendid come back you got there.

Easy to say and sounds reasonable, but actually look at what it means. Everyone wants to honour fields that are traditionally male dominated, and more value is assigned to those things, meanwhile work done by women is seen as not real work, not worth honouring, not worth equal pay, and generally just 'busywork for housewives'. The descision to honour X, Y, and Z field may not be conciously sexist, but as a society we decide that male dominated fields tend to be more deserving of honour than female dominated fields, and that leads to situations like this.
    If "artists and designers" are a "traditionally male dominated field", then there are no not-male-dominated fields sans gender studies. I'm not sure that nonsense should have been honored on a passport or even toilet paper though.

Again, the mere fact that the people who become well known are men, because work done by women is seen as having less merit, and so is less deserving of praise and fame is an inherently sexist system
    Doesn't change the fact that in the past most well known people have been men, including the field the makers of this design wanted to showcase.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2015-11-04 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    of course there's more men on the passports, 95% (and that's being optimistic) of inventions were made by men

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Scuse me, what is this in the past nonsense.
    Yeah, this persistent victim complex is extremely unhealthy.

Deleted
    Things should be based on merit, not gender.

Step your game up females and do something noteworthy and you'll get rightfully credited?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    of course there's more men on the passports, 95% (and that's being optimistic) of inventions were made by men
    No no no.

Logic has no place here.

People should get free passes because they was born a certain gender or race !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Easy to say and sounds reasonable, but actually look at what it means. Everyone wants to honour fields that are traditionally male dominated, and more value is assigned to those things, meanwhile work done by women is seen as not real work, not worth honouring, not worth equal pay, and generally just 'busywork for housewives'. The descision to honour X, Y, and Z field may not be conciously sexist, but as a society we decide that male dominated fields tend to be more deserving of honour than female dominated fields, and that leads to situations like this..
    Seems like they're honoring people who have advanced their fields and society through ingenuity. You could say they chose to assign more value to that because of the genders of 7 out of 9 of the people it would feature, I would say they assign more value to that because it's more impressive, beneficial and conducive to prosperity and progress than the vast majority of female and male dominated professions.

I've never been anywhere that considered things like nursing or teaching "busywork for housewives"

If you can show me that there's a 50/50 representation of women and men behind the significant and impressive discoveries that have progressed western society the past few hundred years, I'll agree they could have done better on their selection. If not, I think you're just asserting sexism because that the lens you see everything through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    So you're saying that these contributions don't have objective value?
    No, I am not saying that. I'm saying that society places subjective value on certain things that overrides their objective value. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since how can you really compare the objective value of anything, that's like trying to determine what objective morality is. But when you place greater subjective value on things that men do, you end up in problematic situations like this.

Just sack them all off.

Don't put any people on the passport, there's no need.

It's a document, not a museum.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am not saying that. I'm saying that society places subjective value on certain things that overrides their objective value. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since how can you really compare the objective value of anything, that's like trying to determine what objective morality is. But when you place greater subjective value on things that men do, you end up in problematic situations like this.
    And what is your evidence that we place greater value on the accomplishments of men? Since most inventions in the past have been made by men, having 2 women, if anything, disproportionately favors women.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would be the solution to this problem?

No people.

If you use any people at all someone will argue with your reasoning for why you've chosen them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Treat women fairly

This kind of stuff is silly and easily solvable.

Check records, look at every single major inventor/scientist/scholar/w/e else you want to add in the last 700 years of history
    Check how much % of those are women.
    Put % representation in the passport.
    If its 50% women, put 5 women out of 10 pictures, if its 10% put 1 woman, if its 90% put 9.
    To put more is over representation, and thus sexism. Problem solved, continue with life.

I wish we could just celebrate achievement and not have to worry about what the genitals of the people who achieved it are like.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    No people.

If you use any people at all someone will argue with your reasoning for why you've chosen them.
    You're racist against people.

What do you do about it? Round all the people up.

And shoot them in the head. That way, they can all be put on the passports for their martyrdom of a cause.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

OMG what trite bullshit. it doesn't help the OP has to constantly be on the side of the onxious on all of these issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Treat women fairly
    What problem is that intended to solve, and what is your evidence that this does not already occur in a majority of cases?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You're racist against people.
    Well, that would be speciesist.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If you can show me that there's a 50/50 representation of women and men behind the significant and impressive discoveries that have progressed western society the past few hundred years, I'll agree they could have done better on their selection. If not, I think you're just asserting sexism because that the lens you see everything through.
    No waiii :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    No people.

So we should forget the accomplishments of talented people? Every solution is wrong. Put more women on, who, for the time and field being depicted, would mean putting women onto it for lesser accomplishments just to meet a quota. Taking some of the men off is basically the same thing

If they were to do something related to say for example nursing, would we be pissing our pants that there weren't more women on it? What if the new Organ Donor Card depicted Florence Nightingale or someone, but no man. Would we really care?

There are women in history that are not forgotten and are household names, if there doesn't happen to be as many in a specific field, why do people get so worked up about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I wish we could just celebrate achievement and not have to worry about the genitals of the people who achieved it are like.
    Yeah. Don't understand why this is still an issue. And a growing issue too...sigh