Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Treat women fairly
    What is fairly? Or unfairly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    What would be the solution to this problem?
    Use Page 3 models instead - women get representation, men get boobs.

Gay men miss out, but tell them the unicorn on the fornt cover is for them, they'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    No, I am not saying that. I'm saying that society places subjective value on certain things that overrides their objective value. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since how can you really compare the objective value of anything, that's like trying to determine what objective morality is. But when you place greater subjective value on things that men do, you end up in problematic situations like this.
    Yeah, but this is an effect of placing greater value on things that men do ages ago. Not now. So not exactly a problem, just outcome of history. Unless you can somehow prove that this is an unfair representation of women's contribution in that field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Treat women fairly
    If you want fairness in engineering and artistic endeavour throughout British history, then treating women fairly would result in fewer of them getting pictures.

So we should forget the accomplishments of talented people?
    No, but do we need to put them on passports?

My old passport has no people on, and it does exactly what a passport needs to do. Recognise people in places that are good for recognising people in - like museums. Rather than on something where people will go: "who gives a fuck who these people are, I've got to check in in the next 5 minutes, then I'm going to check the airport shops, get on a plane, go on holiday, and completely ignore the fact there's a face other than my own terrible photo on this thing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    What problem is that intended to solve, and what is your evidence that this does not already occur in a majority of cases?
    Women need to be seen as people and not as objects. The rape culture and high rates of rape they face are the major problem.

This obviously calls for a 50:50 split. Where would we be without affirmative action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Women need to be seen as people and not as objects. The rape culture and high rates of rape they face are the major problem.
    Yeah, they literally raped all those centuries old women by not printing a picture of them.

How is any of that relevant to the topic of their representation on a passport?

Yeah, they literally raped all those centuries old women by not printing a picture of them.
    For some reason that reminded me of this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-MaiNene.html <.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

What the absolute fuck does passport pictures have to do with perpetuating rape culture? Are you just trying to shoehorn that subject into this discussion? It's entirely irrelevant.

Edit: Mehrunes quick on the draw with the calling of bullshit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    This kind of stuff is silly and easily solvable.

Check records, look at every single major inventor/scientist/scholar/w/e else you want to add in the last 700 years of history
    Check how much % of those are women.
    Put % representation in the passport.
    If its 50% women, put 5 women out of 10 pictures, if its 10% put 1 woman, if its 90% put 9.
    To put more is over representation, and thus sexism. Problem solved, continue with life.
    This.

Also meeting quotas for the sake of meeting quotas is BS.

Proper way to react to this story

Deleted
    This shit is why people in the UK hate feminists.

Meanwhile in India, a girl is stoned to death if her husband rapes her.

Fuck off.

Who careeeeeeeeeees what's in a passport? In all the traveling I've done, I've never sat there studying my passport. I couldn't even tell you what images are inside the "old" design.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-11-04 at 07:11 PM.

Clearly the people who are designing the passport are raping women by only putting two of them on the passport.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    This shit is why people in the World
    Fixed it for you.

Let's go through some (in some cases slightly) related things from my desk:

Old passport: no Brits
    Bank cards: no bankers
    Waterstones card: no authors
    Driving licence: no car manufacturers
    Personal Licence (alcohol sales): no brewers or publicans
    NHS organ donor card: no physicians
    Blood donor card: still no physicians
    National insurance number card: no Brits
    Subway card: no "sandwich artists"
    Taste card: no restaurateurs

The only things that have people on are the bank notes, and those pictures matter so little that without checking their wallet most people couldn't tell you which people are on a given note (unless they answer the Queen, like the big sarcastic twats they are).
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2015-11-04 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rape culture huh? I thought we were talking about Western countries, not the Congo.

Look, I'm not saying women don't face a lot of problems. But it's not a one-sided issue. There are plenty of problems men face that women don't, perhaps one of the more obvious being the culture of suspicion. What we have is not a situation where men have everything, and women have 75%. The situation we live in today is one where men have 75%, and women have a different 75%. This is the crux of why many are disillusioned with the fundamental idea of feminism, which is that women need to be equal to men. When feminists say this, they are saying that women need to be equal to men in all of the areas where they are not already equal. Of course, this will have the effect of bringing women to 100%, and leaving men at 75%. By denying the central tenet of feminism, people are not denying the existence of women's problems; they are simply denying the disproportionality of women's problems to men's problems.

Rape culture is a far larger problem for men. Not only are they belittled and looked down upon if they get raped, they are not taken seriously because most people think they should like it if their attacker is a female or that they are now less then a man since they couldn't defend themselves. Most men fear coming forward about being raped, while you have women who ruin peoples life's by filing false rape charges.

See how that works? Everyone has problems. And in my opinion, rape culture effects men far more then women.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    I don't see any black people on those passports, clearly racism at work here.

There should be 2 black men, 2 white men, 2 white women and 2 black women. In fact, I don't think any of them are gay, so put gays into the mix, also disabled people, and young people, fuck it just put every damn person who ever lived on the passport since that's clearly the only way around not offending people.

Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    I don't see any black people on those passports, clearly racism at work here.

There should be 2 black men, 2 white men, 2 white women and 2 black women. In fact, I don't think any of them are gay, so put gays into the mix, also disabled people, and young people, fuck it just put every damn person who ever lived on the passport since that's clearly the only way around not offending people.
    Wow you forgot asians you racist shitlord, and trans people, sexist scum!

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Wow you forgot asians you racist shitlord, and trans people, sexist scum!
    Yeah they should put Caitlyn Jenners on the passport. She's a hero.