Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Living Alone Linked To Poor Diet: Single People Eat Fewer Fruits and vegetables

A research team from the University of Queensland (QUT) looked into 41 separate studies that covers nutrition and eating habits. Dr. Katherine Hanna and Dr. Peter Collins from the QUT found that lack of cooking knowledge and motivation, increasing food cost and lack of partner to go grocery shopping all affect the increased intake of ready-made meals among people who live alone.

The research team also found the men are more at risk to succumb to consuming fast and convenient meals that may lack in nutrients. Findings also showed the people who were recently divorced and elderly adults are also at risk of developing poor diet.

"Our results found that people who live alone have a lower diversity of food intake and a lower consumption of some core food groups like fruits and vegetables and fish," said Dr. Katherine Hanna, nutrition and dietetics lecturer at QUT.

Hanna added that economic factors and lack of motivation and cooking skills play roles in the development of unhealthy eating habits. Consumption of healthy options like fish, fruits and vegetables require regular purchase which could be costly for people who live alone. Divorced people who live alone also have higher risks since they may have relied on other people to prepare meals at home.

"The psychological impacts of living alone can also influence diet. Previous research has found loneliness, for example, is a significant predictor of malnutrition in the elderly," said Hanna.

The findings suggest that solo living could be an obstacle to healthy eating habits for some people. The lack of encouragement and support that complement healthy eating and the difficulty in portion management are factors that can affect one's diet. Despite the diverse demographic of people who live alone, the findings suggest that they could all be unprepared for cooking their own meals due to various personal reasons. Hanna expressed that accessibility to easy cooking classes can help alleviate the problem, as well as availability of healthier food options.

In 2012 to 2013, the Australian Bureau of Statistics found that there are approximately 2.1 million Australians who live alone.

The researchers published their findings in the Nutrition Reviews journal.
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10...made-meals.htm

More reasons to get married
    The single lifestyle just ain't the way to go.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know marriage was the only form if one doesn't live alone
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..I ate shit food when my wife cooked. Loaded with carbs. Noodles, rice, Pizza, potatoes, cream.

Lost 20 kgs when we divorced and I had to learn to cook for myself.
    kindaish the same thing here. Never married, but when I lived with an bf a few years ago, thats how I gained all the weight I am now losing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Didn't know marriage was the only form if one doesn't live alone
    It's preferable to the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    kindaish the same thing here. Never married, but when I lived with an bf a few years ago, thats how I gained all the weight I am now losing
    Don't live together until marriage lol.

Ot: veggies usually are more worth to buy in larger quantities and thus to benefit from the economies of scale don't eat alone.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Nothing is stopping you from not eating healthy when you're living alone, getting married won't always mean you start eating more healthy.
    Such bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10...made-meals.htm

More reasons to get married
    The single lifestyle just ain't the way to go.
    Here's another research claiming the same about married couples.

At least when I get home in the evening no one nags me.

That's true, I have never met fat married people.
    And if you eat 50 grams of bacon, 18 percent of your body will have cancer! Its statistics!
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

15+ Year Old Account
    It's preferable to the alternatives.
    I think you know that is your personal opinion.

Regarding Australia, it is one of the most obese among Western countries. I would like to know where those 41 studies originate from before I can put much value into it. I cba to make an account there just to read the full text
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Strange because usually after people get married they put on weight, even being in a relationship for a long time will do that to you.

I think it really all comes down to what are you happy with, are you happy eating fruits and veggies, or is a Big Mac more your speed? You really have to go out of your way to eat healthy every day, having a lot of the same foods gets old fast as well.

Being healthy has to be a hobby to make it work, you can't just eat healthy and be healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..I ate shit food when my wife cooked. Loaded with carbs. Noodles, rice, Pizza, potatoes, cream. Fridge was always crammed. Freezer too.

Lost 20 kgs when we divorced and I had to learn to cook for myself.
    Well that points to a bigger issue which isn't present in many happy successful marriages. No wonder you got divorced. Although...you should have learned to cook so she didn't have to do all the cooking. She's your wife not your maid.

Hardly reflective on general society.

Deleted
    fruits?.. vegetables..?

my fridge is full of cheese and bacon and ham and burgers

10+ Year Old Account
    I've both lost and gained large amounts of weight whilst living alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Nothing is stopping you from not eating healthy when you're living alone, getting married won't always mean you start eating more healthy.
    Such bullshit.
    When married, you now have 2 people sharing the responsibilities of food preparation. Logically, we can see why this can contribute to healthier eating.

10+ Year Old Account
    When married, you now have 2 people sharing the responsibilities of food preparation. Logically, we can see why this can contribute to healthier eating.
    Plenty of single people are already eating healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on their lifestyle. If 2 lazy cooks get married, they're likelier to not eat as healthy. At least one of them needs to have some kind of interest in healthy eating for both to benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logically? How? Where is the logic in this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    Here's another research claiming the same about married couples.

At least when I get home in the evening no one nags me.
    Riiiight. Because all married couples do is nag each other? Bias much?

15+ Year Old Account
    Again, until we know where those 41 studies come from this publication has little but logical assumptions to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Logically? How? Where is the logic in this?
    Because humans are so stupid that they can not think about how to eat healthy?
    Yes, I don't get it either.