Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Death Rates Rising for Middle-Aged White Americans

N.Y. Times:

That finding was reported Monday by two Princeton economists, Angus Deaton, who last month won the 2015 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science, and Anne Case. Analyzing health and mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from other sources, they concluded that rising annual death rates among this group are being driven not by the big killers like heart disease and diabetes but by an epidemic of suicides and afflictions stemming from substance abuse: alcoholic liver disease and overdoses of heroin and prescription opioids.

The article is interesting. Everywhere in the U.S. and world the death rate for people between ages 45-55 years is declining, except the white middle-aged. In particular the poor white middle aged. It looks as though these people are self medication and suicide.

I guess this shows how bad the poor white middle aged think they have it. Driving them to death.

I wish I could link the graph but cannot

It would be very interesting to see a thorough analysis of that particular sub-group, and comparison to similar groups in those other countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the bacon.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    I looked up the use of antidepressants in US and my country. We are both high and for roughly the same amount of users per 100 000.
    If suicide is a major cause it is not due to amount of people on antidepressants but the mental health care available possibly affordable.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Suicides, liver disease due to alcoholism. This group is rural white people with a high school education or less. I'm wondering why it's a new thing, maybe it's always been there.

Maybe it's because of the economic recession we just left behind.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    It would be very interesting to see a thorough analysis of that particular sub-group, and comparison to similar groups in those other countries.
    Every other country in that age group their death rate is decling. So white europeans, asians, africans and whoever are decling. This trend is only happening to a certain sect, which again are white (mainly Poor) white middle-aged Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Suicides, liver disease due to alcoholism. This group is rural white people with a high school education or less. I'm wondering why it's a new thing, maybe it's always been there.

Maybe it's because of the economic recession we just left behind.
    Well, that is the mystery. You generally self medicate because of depression or something shitty in your life. Probably the quality of living with wages, home, upper mobility and other.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not american but anyone want to speculate what happened around 1998?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shot in the dark here -- Could the middle age worker also be dying from being overworked? It seems to be fairly common that American workers believe that they have to bend over backwards for their places of employment just to pay the bills. I could see that leading to a very unhealthy amount of stress which could lead to a whole slew of health problems.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I guess this shows how bad the poor white middle aged think they have it. Driving them to death.
    So you link an article about issues within the poor white community, to simply take a shot at poor white people? Classy.
    Increases in mortality rates in middle-aged whites rose in parallel with their increasing reports of pain, poor health and distress, he explained. They provided a rationale for the increase in deaths from substance abuse and suicides.
    Amazing under educated people who likely take physically intensive jobs, are stressed about money and in pain (though I take that with a grain of salt, given my area is wracked by prescription pain killer abuse) are self medicating themselves to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    So you link an article about issues within the poor white community, to simply take a shot at poor white people? Classy.

Amazing under educated people who likely take physically intensive jobs, are stressed about money and in pain (though I take that with a grain of salt, given my area is wracked by prescription pain killer abuse) are self medicating themselves to death.
    LOL! Okay SJW totally reading into a comment. Keep up the fight.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    So this is your way of admitting you don't care at all about the topic, you are just shit posting, and taking shots at poor white people because other threads that are open and you feel the need to "even the score?"

Still is classy taking shots at poor and under educated people, but carry on I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    So this is your way of admitting you don't care at all about the topic, you are just shit posting, and taking shots at poor white people because other threads that are open and you feel the need to "even the score?"

Still is classy taking shots at poor and under educated people, but carry on I guess.
    I so want to go off on you. I posted the article and made my comments on why it is strange/abnormal to why the white (poor) middle aged are increasing death rate. The study shows the major factors are self medication and suicide.

So I asked the question:

Why do the white (poor) middle aged think they have it worse.

White cis gendered male privilege working as intended. /sarcasm
    I can almost feel Endus right behind me.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2015-11-04 at 09:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just can't deal with women anymore. Enough is enough, and there's only one way out. Drinking ourselves to death.

I thought SJW's were supposed to hate white people?

I'd wager it's linked to underemployment and unemployment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I thought SJW's were supposed to hate white people?
    I think its a new thing where SJWs are calling people who disagree with them SJWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I think its a new thing where SJWs are calling people who disagree with them SJWs.
    Yep, same thing as the word entitle. It's just a general purpose insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I'm not american but anyone want to speculate what happened around 1998?
    Rise in 2 drugs comes to mind. Meth or methamphetamine and Opiates, mostly the prescription opiates. I think 1998 was the end of the dot com boom, but we've had good times and a few bad times economically since.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Rise in 2 drugs comes to mind. Meth or methamphetamine and Opiates, mostly the prescription opiates. I think 1998 was the end of the dot com boom, but we've had good times and a few bad times economically since.
    Hms could be but I found when I googled I found that if people are addicts meth the life expectancy is 5 to max 10 years.
    That would mean many (going by article) poor white men start to use it late in their life.
    Opiates is harder almost clunky to pin to a time span.
    Dot.com should have been traced into other countries as well even though the impact was greater in US.
    Larger economy dips almost by default spill over to be reflected in Europe as well.

Bah, I become to curios for my own good some times.