Page 1 of 247
... LastLast

Protection legion Discussion

With all the information that surely will come within the foreseeable future it would be best to have all the relevant information going in a single thread, rather than in a thousand different ones. Let's make sure we keep as much of the discussion regarding the Protection specialization in this thread.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

I'm hoping Gladiator is given as baseline for Prot, or even it's own spec treatment, with some raid CDs/burst abilities. Would be perfect.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    I'm hoping Gladiator is given as baseline for Prot, or even it's own spec treatment, with some raid CDs/burst abilities. Would be perfect.
    This, and I would love to hear more about the Prot artifact board n' sword combo

In regards to Glad, if it still is around I'll make a discussion thread for that as well, this one is more so meant for the tanking and generally the defensive stance of Protection.
    My Stream

Quote Originally Posted by JimboJamboBingoBango View Post
    This, and I would love to hear more about the Prot artifact board n' sword combo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WI...tu.be&t=31m35s

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19942707/
    Protection – Scale of the Earth-Warder

An impenetrable shield crafted from a scale of the black Dragon Aspect, Neltharion the Earth-Warder, before the Old Gods' corruption overcame him. The formidable vrykul king Magnar Icebreaker carried this shield into combat and won victory after victory in the face of grim odds. When he finally fell in battle, it was due to treachery by servants of the Val'kyr Helya. The shield is now entombed with King Magnar's body in the Path of Kings in Stormheim.
    My Stream

i saw the protection pala S'n'B and was all hyped, saw the warrior one and became all sadface, oh well, theres still tmog
    Last edited by Peukst; 2015-11-07 at 11:45 AM.

The shield and sword needs runes. Those Vrykul blokes love runes. They had runecasters and shit all throughout Utgarde Keep and in Stormpeaks/Howling Fjord. Stick some runes with some nice animations and it'll look way better. Right now it looks like some low level dungeon drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Peukst View Post
    i saw the protection pala S'n'B and was all hyped, saw the warrior one and became all sadface, oh well, theres still tmog
    There are two skins being shown on the preview page. There will be more.

IMO, I like both skins, especially the one linked above. However, the Paly one is very nice too.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

The base artifact shield looks terrible IMO, there is nothing special about it and nothing very dragon scale like about it other than being a triangle. The second skin for the shield is better. The sword is a joke though, its a green drop that apparently never changes appearance other than some color on the hilt (when comparing the two current models).

The story behind the shield being a dragon scale is pretty cool, given apparently there are no good historic protection warriors with shields...

Just so this one's here too:

Seems like it'll be more about the shield than the sword, since the sword model is pretty much the same between styles.

Deleted
    They say Resolve is gone, and that abilities that use it are redesigned. For us thats mostly shield barrier. Any theories on how they will change it?

Maybe shield barrier will become like the class trinket? x% magic damage reduction on next hit/for y seconds? Maybe it becomes a %of max hp absorb?

Deleted
    Just a quick comment from the Druid corner...

http://www.wowhead.com/news=249804/d...-class-changes

Here (near the bottom) they discuss Guardians having the possibility as tanks of doing more DPS while not tanking and going feral/moonkin to some degree, maybe even healing. It could just be a glorified HoTW (Heart of the Wild) or it can be something proper...

Do you guys think warriors would get something? Maybe gladiator stance will be dropped as a permenant thing and just be a thing you can always toggle on and off but be weaker than a full on DPS but stronger than a tank... but not as good as a tank so you can boost your deeps.

Seems to me they've already tried and shown that idea failed... If you're weaker than a dps and not as good as a tank, then you get used for neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben View Post
    Just a quick comment from the Druid corner...

http://www.wowhead.com/news=249804/d...-class-changes

Here (near the bottom) they discuss Guardians having the possibility as tanks of doing more DPS while not tanking and going feral/moonkin to some degree, maybe even healing. It could just be a glorified HoTW (Heart of the Wild) or it can be something proper...

Do you guys think warriors would get something? Maybe gladiator stance will be dropped as a permenant thing and just be a thing you can always toggle on and off but be weaker than a full on DPS but stronger than a tank... but not as good as a tank so you can boost your deeps.
    That was my first guess when I read this. We all know how insignificant we become when we are not tanking due to tank swaps. I dont mind being able to dps in that time but would give bit more fun/managment if we were actively shield our member and reduce their damage (redirect it to you) in some ways of using abilities.

Lets see what they prepared for us in Legion tho, will we see another veng/resolve type of buff or not and wohat will really happen without it with barrier etc.

Wait where did they say they're removing resolve? If so that means barrier will be reworked into a percentage I'm guessing?

Well considering there's no artifact for Gladiator it sounds like they're either scrapping it or keeping it tied to a Protection talent. They said they've pretty much reworked all the talents, added some new ones, and of course we have the artifact trees so hopefully they'll enable it to do some better DPS but I still think it's going to be difficult to balance when it's still baked into Prot.

Edit 1: Just read that they're making it so bears can go back to feral to DPS while tanking now, so I'm guessing Glad will be the same and they'll add something for Monks, Paladins, and DKs.
    Last edited by Eatdamuffin; 2015-11-08 at 02:07 PM.

Looks like they are going backwards with rage regeneration and I don't rly like it. Little to no impact to our rage regen through rotation and no more enrage?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    +1
    The protection preview didn't have much interesting in it. Only the "ignore pain" cooldown was somewhat interesting. Makes me wonder if shieldwall-like CDs will go away completely.

I don't get it. With Blood DK design changes they improved RP generation and made RP more beneficial with respect to Death Strike. They also removed the rune types to make this better.

With Warriors it seems to have gone backwards. Also Ignore Pain tooltip is very ambiguous. Ignoring 90% of the next massive amount of damage you take? What defines massive? Does it also count spells and boss abilities that are not auto attacks?

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected them to take the opportunity to drop Heroic Strike. Pleased to see it still exists.

Spell Reflect gets a spell damage reduction component which is nice to finally see that spell become useful in PVE again.

Ignore Pain makes sense based on what they said about wanting more fights with timing like tanking Kilrogg and Mannoroth.